cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670E HERO and 7950X BLACK SCREEN/ STUCK ON Q-CODE 14

Jagguw
Level 8
Hi so since I built my pc I had a lot of problems but I was able to fix them as I had faulty parts but 1 problem that persists is that sometimes (happens maybe once a month or more) when booting the pc and it tries to log into windows I just get a black screen and then when I reboot it gets stuck at Q-Code 14 but I fix the problem everytime by clearing cmos but I was wondering why it does that.

The parts I did replace that were faulty were cpu and motherboard and I got the same cpu and motherboard again.
7,893 Views
11 REPLIES 11

Braegnok
Level 14
Hello Jagguw,
If you could provide your hardware, system specs, or system summary,.. with OS version, BIOS, Chipset version that would help someone provide advice.

Q-Code 14 is Pre-Memory CPU initialization is started,.. having your system hang during initialization could be hardware, or software, firmware related.

So the more information you provide is better,.. is system bios, chipset, drivers,... up to date. Is system stable in default settings.

With X670E, and 7950X I would recommend Windows 11 21H2, BIOS 0805, Chipset V4.11.02.829 and test in default settings,.. the newer BIOS, AGESA versions seem to be causing issues for most folks. So if your running a non-X3D CPU,.. I would stick with 0805 till things get sorted out with the newer BIOS versions.

My system summary, with Chipset V4.11.02.829 is fully stable. 97749

Braegnok wrote:
Hello Jagguw,
If you could provide your hardware, system specs, or system summary,.. with OS version, BIOS, Chipset version that would help someone provide advice.

Q-Code 14 is Pre-Memory CPU initialization is started,.. having your system hang during initialization could be hardware, or software, firmware related.

So the more information you provide is better,.. is system bios, chipset, drivers,... up to date. Is system stable in default settings.

With X670E, and 7950X I would recommend Windows 11 21H2, BIOS 0805, Chipset V4.11.02.829 and test in default settings,.. the newer BIOS, AGESA versions seem to be causing issues for most folks. So if your running a non-X3D CPU,.. I would stick with 0805 till things get sorted out with the newer BIOS versions.

My system summary, with Chipset V4.11.02.829 is fully stable. 97749


Hi thanks for the reply, so I am running the latest chipset drives and have windows 10 build 19045 and was thinking of updating bios but I am glad I didn't after you just told me that it is unstable so I am sticking with 0805. But like I said earlier it only happens occasionally.

My specs are:
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
Cpu: 7950x
Cooler: bequiet dark rock pro 4
Ram: Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40V 64GB (2x32GB) AMD EXPO
GPU: Zotec 4090
PSU: Be quiet dark power 12 1500W

Jagguw wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply, so I am running the latest chipset drives and have windows 10 build 19045 and was thinking of updating bios but I am glad I didn't after you just told me that it is unstable so I am sticking with 0805. But like I said earlier it only happens occasionally.

My specs are:
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
Cpu: 7950x
Cooler: bequiet dark rock pro 4
Ram: Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40V 64GB (2x32GB) AMD EXPO
GPU: Zotec 4090
PSU: Be quiet dark power 12 1500W


If you have tested your memory and it passes memory tests,.. and your system is only hanging occasionally during initialization, I would Disable Fast Boot, run in EXPO I Profile,.. see if that resolves the issue. In default settings fast boot is enabled,.. when you disable it your system will train memory after every boot, will take a bit longer to boot but it should initialize without the occasional Q-Code 14 error. That would be the first thing I would test.

When using EXPO I or II the difference is that EXPO II contains further drilled-down sub-timings that are specified by RAM rather than letting the motherboard decide on Auto. For now, AMD recommends using the EXPO I profile, which sets all the main timings at specific values but leaves the extended sub-timings up to the motherboard.

Can you post your Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 2x32GB "EXPO I profile" ZenTimings screenshot, zentimings free download: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

I would like to test your 2x32GB EXPO 1 profile with my system, thanks

Braegnok wrote:
If you have tested your memory and it passes memory tests,.. and your system is only hanging occasionally during initialization, I would Disable Fast Boot, run in EXPO I Profile,.. see if that resolves the issue. In default settings fast boot is enabled,.. when you disable it your system will train memory after every boot, will take a bit longer to boot but it should initialize without the occasional Q-Code 14 error. That would be the first thing I would test.

When using EXPO I or II the difference is that EXPO II contains further drilled-down sub-timings that are specified by RAM rather than letting the motherboard decide on Auto. For now, AMD recommends using the EXPO I profile, which sets all the main timings at specific values but leaves the extended sub-timings up to the motherboard.

Can you post your Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 2x32GB "EXPO I profile" ZenTimings screenshot, zentimings free download: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

I would like to test your 2x32GB EXPO 1 profile with my system, thanks


As weird as it sounds I actually believe its my usb microphone that's causing this and I am using a hyperx quadcast

Braegnok wrote:
Hello Jagguw,
If you could provide your hardware, system specs, or system summary,.. with OS version, BIOS, Chipset version that would help someone provide advice.

Q-Code 14 is Pre-Memory CPU initialization is started,.. having your system hang during initialization could be hardware, or software, firmware related.

So the more information you provide is better,.. is system bios, chipset, drivers,... up to date. Is system stable in default settings.

With X670E, and 7950X I would recommend Windows 11 21H2, BIOS 0805, Chipset V4.11.02.829 and test in default settings,.. the newer BIOS, AGESA versions seem to be causing issues for most folks. So if your running a non-X3D CPU,.. I would stick with 0805 till things get sorted out with the newer BIOS versions.

My system summary, with Chipset V4.11.02.829 is fully stable. 97749


I am trying to gather as much information as possible about what other users with a similar setup to mine are having with the boosting behaviours of the 7950x

I am fully aware of the C-State limite and the parameters under which it operates but mine never goes above 5.5GHz even when nothing else is happening on the system and i run asingle core run of CB23.

Can i ask, do you see speeds above 5.5GHz in the above circumstances and if so, did you ahve to do anything in order to get there?

Soupladel wrote:
I am trying to gather as much information as possible about what other users with a similar setup to mine are having with the boosting behaviours of the 7950x

I am fully aware of the C-State limite and the parameters under which it operates but mine never goes above 5.5GHz even when nothing else is happening on the system and i run asingle core run of CB23.

Can i ask, do you see speeds above 5.5GHz in the above circumstances and if so, did you ahve to do anything in order to get there?


Hello Soupladel,

With PBO enabled I see 5.5GHz all-core in heavy loads, CB23,.. and with MLB enabled I see above 5.5GHz on CCD0 in medium loads.

PBO Enabled: 97768

MLB Enabled: 97769

Braegnok wrote:
Hello Soupladel,

With PBO enabled I see 5.5GHz all-core in heavy loads, CB23,.. and with MLB enabled I see above 5.5GHz on CCD0 in medium loads.

PBO Enabled: 97768

MLB Enabled: 97769


Do you mind me asking what you did, if anything, in order to get things stable with MLB?

I have tried it in the past and it was an almost insta BSOD after post. I have read about other tweaking the max boost clocks and changing a few other settings but until this point i hadn't really looked into that because i assumed i should be seeing single core boosting above 5.5 with relatively "out of the box" settings.

If i can get MLB working and see better boosting behaviour i might be more inclined to think its maybe jsut shoddy BIOS revisions that have been the issue rather than a faulty MB. To qualify this i have seen on a number of forums where other motherboards not ASUS the boosting behaviour is as it should be out of the box.

Soupladel wrote:
Do you mind me asking what you did, if anything, in order to get things stable with MLB?

I have tried it in the past and it was an almost insta BSOD after post. I have read about other tweaking the max boost clocks and changing a few other settings but until this point i hadn't really looked into that because i assumed i should be seeing single core boosting above 5.5 with relatively "out of the box" settings.

If i can get MLB working and see better boosting behaviour i might be more inclined to think its maybe jsut shoddy BIOS revisions that have been the issue rather than a faulty MB. To qualify this i have seen on a number of forums where other motherboards not ASUS the boosting behaviour is as it should be out of the box.


Yes it's Clock Gating caused by BIOS with AGESA 1005.

It's indeed a BIOS issue, I have never ran any AGESA version above 1003 so my CPU is fine.

I can disable CCD1, enable MLB, and all 8-cores will run @ 5700 to 5800 with both heavy, or medium loads.

97771

If you have ever loaded any BIOS with AGESA 1005 then your CPU is now fused, rolling back BIOS does not fix the "Clock Gating" your chip now seems to be permanently fused, the issue is non-reversable.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/amd-hynix-ddr5-overclocking-guide.1801842/post-29151900

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-crosshair-x670e-overclocking-discussion-thread.1799959/po...

Braegnok wrote:
Yes it's Clock Gating caused by BIOS with AGESA 1005.

It's indeed a BIOS issue, I have never ran any AGESA version above 1003 so my CPU is fine.

I can disable CCD1, enable MLB, and all 8-cores will run @ 5700 to 5800 with both heavy, or medium loads.

97771

If you have ever loaded any BIOS with AGESA 1005 then your CPU is now fused, rolling back BIOS does not fix the "Clock Gating" your chip now seems to be permanently fused, the issue is non-reversable.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/amd-hynix-ddr5-overclocking-guide.1801842/post-29151900

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-crosshair-x670e-overclocking-discussion-thread.1799959/po...


To be fair, i have had this issue since the c-state limiter was introduced.

When i have tried to get any sort of answer out of Asus all they can respond with is "are you seeing a drop in performance" but i can't verify that that because the versions of BIOS that didnt have the limiter don't have full support for my GPU and i had ram stability issues, all i can tell them is that i dont see full boosting behaviour in low core utilization scenarios despite having a 420mm AIO and a fully configured airflow case (3x140mm fans on the rad at the front, 1x140mm fan on the back as exhaust and 2x140mm fans in the roof exhausting air)