cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670E Extreme - PD12V PWR?

Rob_Ainscough
Level 7
I have an ASUS 4090 TUF OC edition that comes with the power adapter (4 X 8-pin lines connected to my EVGA 1600W T2 PSU). I don't see how the PD12V_PWR cable is relevant? Manual says:

"To support 60W, please install the power cable to the 6 pin PCIe Graphics Card connector (PD_!@V_PWR) else only 27W will be supported."

1st, the cable that came with my ASUS 4090 TUF OC edition uses 12 pins for power and 4 additional pins for power verification.

2nd, the cable provided by my X670E Extreme MB is about 3 inches long, there is no way this could connect to anything?

Do I need this connection give the above, don't really understand what this PD_12V_PWR is supposed to do nor what I can connect it to?

Cheers, Rob.
4 REPLIES 4

Murph_9000
Level 14
The motherboard PD_12V_PWR is for the motherboard's USB-PD via the front panel USB-C port. The wattages referred to are for USB-PD. As a secondary function, it provides supplementary power for the PCIe slots. It connects to a 6 pin PCIe power feed.

Not sure about the 3 inch cable, but I'm sure it has a purpose. That length suggests to me that it's possibly an adapter from one type of power plug to another.

Edit: Oh, the 3 inch cable may be PCIe power for the 2.5-inch fan hub box, if it's roughly the same as the X570 Extreme. It connects the fan hub to a 6 pin PCIe power cable.

Rob_Ainscough
Level 7
Thank you for the response, so I just need to connect a 6 pin PCIE power cable from my PSU to the X670E motherboard?

Cheers, Rob.

Murph_9000
Level 14
Yup, just a 6 pin PCIe from the PSU to PD_12V_PWR.

I hate how in the manual it says to plug it in to the 6 pin PCIe graphics card connector and not the PSU, that's where all the confusion stems from.

Someone also said that the 4090 definitely needs the extra power from the PD_12v_PWR, so I'm basically stuck not knowing what to do since I'm going to run 4090 with the crosshair hero.