cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x670e bios constantly getting corrupt?

jriker1
Level 8

When I first bought my my x670e Crosshair Hero couldn't get the thing to post.  Had the latest bios settings, kept getting various coded.  Tried adding and removing PCIe cards and moving memory around.  Nothing worked.  Ended up pulling the battery, press the clear CMOS button on the back.  Then it started booting.  Scarry time.  Hate to say it but never had this problem with an "Intel" based motheIrboard in all the years I've been building systems.  Recently there were some BIOS updates that not sure fully applied to me but when you hear your CPU may light on fire you update it.  So I backed up my settings to a flash drive, took pictures of some of the 10 billion sub screens, loaded optimal defaults, updated the bios.  OK it started and had to hit F1 to get in of course.  I manually applied all my settings except the fan settings.  Wasn't on purpose but saved and restarted.  OK that was fine, went back in hitting DEL.  Switched the fan settings from Auto to PWM and configured the curve.  Saved and restarted.  Blank screen.  Hello?  Had to pull this thing out of the my rack which was a pain.  Was showing code 15 and then would eventually go to code 14.  Well I know this system works, been running for months.  So guess what?  I pulled the battery which I hard to remove a PCIe card and a heatsink to get to it and left it out for a while.  Putting it back in and with some nail biting it booted.  This time, contrary to recommendations, i took my backed up bios settings from the old bios and restored them.  Took and booted.   So now I have a fear everytime I do anything with this system.  Will a reboot come back?  Will a bios update break things?  Am I the only one with this story?

Side note, there is zero hard drive LED activity so isn't even getting to the bios screen so isn't a Windows driver issue or something.

6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Does the behaviour occur even directly after a CMOS clear, or after loading a profile or enabling EXPO? If it’s the latter, the system is unstable due to the memory overclock not being able to pass POST procedures consistently.

If behaviour continues, remove EXPO and apply the memory frequency, voltages and primary timings manually.

Also, whereas CMO profiles can be used across UEFI builds, sometimes they won’t be fully compatible due to AGESA or various other changes.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

If I clear the CMOS it then boots into the BIOS and I can apply the settings agan.

I applied all my settings again manually after the bios upgrade except the fan settings.  Saved and rebooted.  Then went into the bios again and set the fan curves and rebooted and was down.

I then cleared the cmos and applied the saved copy of my old settings and am running now.

This was all a pain as I have this system rack mounted so had to disconnect everything, pull out the rack, then pull out the machine and so on and so forth.

Not sure what “and was down” is meant to imply? 

DanDanda69CZ
Level 9

Hi, I've been tinkering a lot with the new platform too and managed to get it sorted out.

Try setting it up in the bios
In boot menu - fast boot > disable
In AI overclock set EXPO profile
In the memory timing settings set: Power Down Enable > disable
And last, probably the most important point, set CPU core voltage manually to 1.2v at best, 1.25v at worst.

It should work then

ROG Strix X670E-E, Ryzen 7900, 2x16 Gb Dominator Platinum 6000Mhz

Hello,

Vcore is now locked down on new UEFI builds and has no impact on memory training. Moreover, Fast boot should only be enabled when memory stability has been established

DanDanda69CZ
Level 9

Hi, Well he probably the problem is also that despite the default bios settings, without any modifications or EXPO, so errors occur. I would try the settings I wrote above. Anyway, the new bios came out today with AGESA, so I would do the upgrade too.

ROG Strix X670E-E, Ryzen 7900, 2x16 Gb Dominator Platinum 6000Mhz