cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670 resource

Shamino

ill use this thread to collect some new test bioses for the boards, maybe also to explain some less understood options

to disable cores ccd go here and choose ccd xx bit map down core.
each ones stand for an enabled core
best to disable from the back, ie:
instead of 0011000
after selection press downcore apply changes or discard if made mistake

ocpak/octools

FAQ:
7950x not boosting pass 5.5G -> check that CStates is not disabled
Detailed Explanation on CState Boot Limiter

Test BIOSes:

new:
X3D OC Preset for those MB with asynch BCLK Support: (for simple slight perf boost for X3D)

DOCP/EXPO Tweaked: (for simple timings tightening)

strixe-e 1515 

strixe-f 1515 

strix e a 1515 

crosshair hero 1515 

crosshair gene 1515 

crosshair extreme 1515 

creator 670 1515

creator b650 1515

strix 650E I

strix 670 itx

for crosshair and strix e-e:

explanation of segment2 Loadline:

dualseg.jpg

customize a heterogenous loadline for a dual segment workload range.

example above shows loadline=L6 when current is in range of 0~40A, and Level4 when current is above 40A.

Adds for x3d

dynamic ccd priority switch with core flex, os / driver agnostic so win10 win11 ok

Algo as follows:
If condition reached and ccd0 specified, then check current mem/cache activity > threshold and hysteresis reached, if fulfilled then switch
If condition reached and ccd1 specified, then check current mem/cache activity <=threshold and hysteresis reached,, if fulfilled then switch
Default hysteresis =4

Can combine multiple algos for ccd priority so combinations are wide

works on non x3d too but of course senseless on it. detailed explanation here.

2,100 REPLIES 2,100

frytom wrote:

Simple test if a bios is stable or not:

You have to enter the bios and set MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE from "AUTO" (means "OFF" in real life, it's working like "DISABLED, there is no magic AI in the bios which decides to activate the MCR setting from AUTO to ENABLED...by its own hand) to ENABLED. If your PC is booting correctly after that change (and after min. one PC shutdown), your system might be called stable. The critical phase is the transition from finished bios booting to windows booting which have to be analysed in detail by ASUS and AMD, to find out, why all newer bios' are failing.

Don't mean to split hair but that is not what I call stable at all... What you are describing is booting, nothing more. There is indeed a transition between POST and your OS which may fail with bad settings, but going past that transition doesn't mean the system is stable. You could boot fine and start using Windows, but get BSODs randomly during use, and that is an unstable system.
Of course, there are more possibilities of a bad interaction between programs once Windows is running that could also lead to BSODs, but the possibility of a bad bios setting or even of a buggy bios is still a possible culprit.
You can check immediate stability through benchmarks/heavy load etc but daily use with no recurring BSODs is the ultimate test.

decimus28
Level 10
0088 didn't even work right for me. 0805 and beta 0902 were the last good ones. Issue here is the BIOS not making it through POST if not default. If it does windows loads perfectly. I'm not worrying about reducing boot time with Memory Context Restore until after it can POST more than 1 out of 10 times.

d3vaS_CZE
Level 8
1001 @ 7950x StrixE-E

As someone described before, even if you set everything up and the system behaves stably the next day "cold start" is almost impossible...
and ends with error 00
Also resetting the CMOS didn't help until xy attempt the system booted.

I don't know what's going on and will probably try going back to 0922, won't there be some problem with agesa 1006 vs 1005?
Setup: 7950X, Strix X670E-E, 32GB 6000 C30, RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6, WD BLACK SN850X NVMe 2TB, Asus ROG STRIX SCOPE RX, ASUS ROG Gladius III Wireless

@MagicHP:

I don't have any stability issues while using windows and apps/games or common stress tests, once windows is loaded completely under the condition MCR is off/auto. (Minor open issue: sporadic dropout of the Marvell 10G nic)

BUT...

For daily use, it is a common practice aka standard using a PC with MCR set ON (not AUTO=OFF!), because every common user wants a modern, productive AM5 PC system, which is capable of standard fast booting like previous AM4 systems did.

That is, why I said "it might be a problem". So far, my point is, I don't have any defective hardware component. The remaining problems are all issues concerning the installed bios.

So conclusion: Using the AM5 PC as a productive system, I've done nothing wrong, it's a software/firmware problem which can only be solved by AMD and/or ASUS.

The lastest AGESA revisions (which give the new 3D-V-cache models better performance, and I use a 7950X3D CPU) don't care about the screwed up MCR enabled function (and the resulting problems: frozen bios ->settings cannot be changed -> CMOS reset, the need for repairing windows).

I suspect, either AMD or ASUS have severe DDR5 memory problems built in all follow up bios > 0805. The failing MCR test (the transition bug) is one side effect of this new DDR5 related bug(s) introduced in bios > 0805 where DDR5 memory isn't properly handled.

Hum sure, ok, that wasn't my point, of course using the Memory context option is a given, that is basically a "do you want to shave off 30 seconds of your boot time" button ^^

My point was just that "booting" and "stable" are two very different things. And yes, these bios seem to have issues on both 😉

And simply changing any option, not just MCR, can prevent booting on some bios/configuration combos, just as I reported some pages back. The issue isn't a single one, there seems to be several cascading issues here.
Booting is the minimum expected from a Bios, being stable is expected from supposedly expensive and high-end motherboard Bios.

Currently, I'm using the full package, OCed memory with MCR on, PBO , Ai optimized , under the 0805 Bios.
It boots in a few seconds always successfully, and is perfectly stable for extended period of time under heavy load , daily use and long gaming sessions, no unexpected reboots, app crash, or BSODs.
That is stable, that is what is expected of ASUS.

tommy7600
Level 9
BIOS 1001

MB: Asus x670 Hero
CPU: 7950X3D
RAM: 2x32GB G.Skill (F56000J3040G32GX2TZ5RK)

MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE doesn't work with 7950X3D. Many BSOD it's not stable at all. Without MCR - works fine.

tommy7600 wrote:
BIOS 1001

MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE doesn't work with 7950X3D. Many BSOD it's not stable at all. Without MCR - works fine.

Yep as long as MCR is auto or disabled 1001 works fine. Even with all my OC settings. Only issue is it never updated Thunderbolt Num Firmware. It did on previous attempts to make 1001 work.

7950X
X670E-E

tommy7600 wrote:
BIOS 1001

GPU: ASUS TUF OC 4090

With 1001, for the first time, I got:

"The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver.
CSM (Compability Support Module) settings have been changed...

Reboot resolved the issue, but still first time 😉

decimus28
Level 10
I wish it was that easy to solve the boot issue for me.

t0xick
Level 7
Does anyone experience something like this?

I can't Clear BIOS normally (motherboard without power).
Until today I kept rewriting the BIOS to revert to defaults settings if it doesn't boot after failed OC
Today I noticed that the only way to do this is fot the motherboard to have power, otherwise I can't do it.
The only motherboard that I could not clear the BIOS without being powered was the Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX.