cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Q Code 8F?

Yunior4GT
Level 7
Hello,

Just finished swapping my 7950X for the new 7950X3D on my Asus Rog Crosshair X670E Hero. Everything runs great and the system boots up with no issues. The only thing I'm noticing now is that after system boots up, it gives me Q code AA(Normal), but right before I reach windows password screen, the Q code changes to 8F. I've tried to search online for this code, but it doesn't show up anywhere. I've contacted Asus tech support, and they don't even know what the code is. Now, I'm not going crazy, I'm seeing the code right know as I'm typing this up. It's Q code 8F.

Could this have something to with the new CPU install. I'm going a bit crazy here cuz the system runs perfectly, but I've never seen this Q code.

Can anybody share any info on this?

Bios 0922
7950X3D
Asus Rog Crosshair X670E Hero
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello Yunior4GT

Code 8F is likely code BF, in the motherboard manual code BF= Reserved for future AMI codes.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Yunior4GT

Code 8F is likely code BF, in the motherboard manual code BF= Reserved for future AMI codes.

Hello Nate, thanks for the reply.Â*

What does this mean? So is this something normal? Should I be concerned about it? Â*

All I did was change CPU. With my previous CPU, it would always post with AA.

Thanks againÂ*

Nate152
If all is working fine, I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Code FF is the same, Reserved for future AMI codes. In this thread, a few are saying Aura Sync was causing the FF code, uninstalling Aura Sync sets the code back to AA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/joqpn4/rog_strix_x570f_q_code_ff_with_new_zen_3_but/

If you're using Armoury Crate, you could try uninstalling it with the uninstall tool, then check the Q-Code on reboot.

To use the Armoury Crate uninstall tool, click the link below and select your operating system, click "Show all" in blue, the uninstall tool is the third download.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk_download/

Once uninstalled, install version 3.2.5.2 (first download), then head to the update center and check for updates.

Or, just let it ride if you're having no issues.

Nate152 wrote:
If all is working fine, I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Code FF is the same, Reserved for future AMI codes. In this thread, a few are saying Aura Sync was causing the FF code, uninstalling Aura Sync sets the code back to AA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/joqpn4/rog_strix_x570f_q_code_ff_with_new_zen_3_but/

If you're using Armoury Crate, you could try uninstalling it with the uninstall tool, then check the Q-Code on reboot.

To use the Armoury Crate uninstall tool, click the link below and select your operating system, click "Show all" in blue, the uninstall tool is the third download.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk_download/

Once uninstalled, install version 3.2.5.2 (first download), then head to the update center and check for updates.

Or, just let it ride if you're having no issues.

Thanks so much for this!Â*

Yunior4GT wrote:
Thanks so much for this!Â*

Actually he maybe right about it being 8F I am having the same issue on a motherboard from another manufacturer.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

FalloutBoy
Level 7
Yunior4GT wrote:
Hello,

Just finished swapping my 7950X for the new 7950X3D on my Asus Rog Crosshair X670E Hero. Everything runs great and the system boots up with no issues. The only thing I'm noticing now is that after system boots up, it gives me Q code AA(Normal), but right before I reach windows password screen, the Q code changes to 8F. I've tried to search online for this code, but it doesn't show up anywhere. I've contacted Asus tech support, and they don't even know what the code is. Now, I'm not going crazy, I'm seeing the code right know as I'm typing this up. It's Q code 8F.

Could this have something to with the new CPU install. I'm going a bit crazy here cuz the system runs perfectly, but I've never seen this Q code.

Can anybody share any info on this?

Bios 0922
7950X3D
Asus Rog Crosshair X670E Hero

I have spent a lot of time figuring this out for us...

if you goto the start button and click on it then type in msconfig.exe and click on the services tab you will see a service called "AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Service" if you were to disable this service < not advisable > then you would find on your next reboot that you would not get code 8F you may get another BIOS code to replace it or the code A0 for correct boot.

Please note there is nothing wrong with your PC this is something new and it comes with using 3D V-Cache. It would have been nice if AMD told us..
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

Mody79
Level 9

Hi,

I have an Asus ROG x670e-e with Ryzen 9 7950x3d, I got the same cod 8f or bf.

If you want to fix that and get code AA, change the CPPC Dynamic Prefered Cores to prefer cache in the Bios:

Bios-Advance-AMD CBS-SMU-CPPC Dynamic Prefered Cores- Change it from Auto to Cache.

It worked for me, or just leave it as it is.

Edit: I updated the BIOS to 1004, and everything is fine now with code AA