cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 7900x3D at 88 degrees cinebench with noctua nh-d15 cooling and kryonaut 12.5w/mk in x670e stuf

willimon25
Level 9

Hello, good afternoon, I have a Ryzen 7900x3D with an Asus STUF x670E-plus motherboard and after updating the Bios to the latest versions that according to Asus improved the performance of the new CPUs, the packcage in maximum use went from 68 degrees to about 88 degrees of peak, with the maximum temperature of these CPUs being 89 DEGREES, it increased by about 18 degrees after updating the Bios, I tried previous versions and it was still the same, apparently only with the factory one I did not have those problems.

Another problem that it has is that the VRM at rest is at 53 degrees and the CPU package is at 50 degrees at rest too, I have it with a 4090 that in maximum use it does not exceed 60 degrees or 70 in Hot spot, I have tried to use it in games and the temperature of the cpu and the vrm does not exceed 60 degrees, but I am concerned that without using it it would be around 50 degrees at rest... although later in games, which is what it is for I am going to use it, it does not reach critical temperatures.

I have it mounted on a corsair 7000D tower with 12 fans at maximum 1800 rpm, the rpm curvature adjustments are set so that at 60 degrees they all work at 1800 rpm to avoid component deterioration, the other components are M.2 ssd and RAM style ( with OC at 6000mhz) etc... none go above 50 degrees in maximum performance, the only problem that the motherboard is giving me after updating is that it is at 50 degrees with all the good cooling it has and the vrms too , and sometimes when I open a new style browser to open YouTube it goes to 60 degrees for a few seconds...

The PSU is a 1000w Gygabyte UD1000GM PG5 (rev. 2.0)

The 2X16G Kingston ddr5 with EXPO profile for Amd at 6000mhz (it has two profiles and I put the first one that leaves the voltage at 1.35 if I remember correctly)

berchmark CINEBENCH3D TEMPS ryzen 7900x3D:  
https://imgur.com/a/u95xjlM 

in rest TEMPS ryzen 7900x3D: 

https://imgur.com/a/xP5bdCo 

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cosmic_Castaway
Level 9

Best place to change settings is the Extreme Tweaker --> Precision Boost Overdrive. Other places?
the damned settings are probably broken and do not register properly (I have a crosshair hero x670e with a 7950X with a 360 LF2 AIO). Also, you need to set the thermal limit to 80 degree c this will prevent the thermal throttling.

In regards to your fans, you need to set them up properly as just having them at high rpm doesn't always mean you will get low temps. You need to set your intakes at a slightly higher RPMs and your exhaust slightly less so air lingers in the case abit thus picking up the heat off your components. The only time having your fans at high rpm helps lower temps is if your ambient temp is low or you have a nice breeze flowing straight into your pc. My H500M is literally next to a window and the wind literally flows through the case on a windy day but it also means my room becomes really cold pretty **bleep** quick lol.

230304132732 - Extreme Tweaker - PBO - PPT Limit.jpeg

Edit: really ASUS, you're going to bleep the word d.a.mn? lol lol...

Cpu: 7950X (Voltage Ceiling Locked at 1.3 Volts - No Longer PBO Tuned As Can No Longer Boot With Such Settings Due To Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly| Ram: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 32GB 6000MT/s CL32 (Undervolted Motherboard SK Hynix Profile 1.35 <-- No Longer Possible Because of Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly Now At Stock Settings) | Motherboard: Crosshair X670E Crosshair Hero | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooling: Arctic 360 Liquid Freezer 2 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX |

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Murph_9000
Level 14

It's normal for the Ryzen 7000s to hit 90 to 95C under heavy load; AMD say it's safe.  50C CPU package at idle is also within the normal range.  60C peaks on light load like YouTube, also reasonably normal.  50C is not extreme for the VRM when idle, especially if your case fans ramp down or stop when the system is idle.  All of your temperatures look within normal ranges to me, and should be safe.

The older BIOS doesn't properly support the 7000X3D series, so the chip was probably not getting up to full performance with it.  Once you updated the BIOS, it would start to run correctly and then hit the expected high temperatures under load.

I would change your fan curves to about 75C, maybe even 80C, for 100%; and set the 50% point somewhere around 60C to cut the noise down.  Ryzen 5000 and 7000, particularly Ryzen 9s are expected to be hot under heavy load, and designed to cope with those temperatures.

willimon25
Level 9

The main problem is that when it reaches those temperatures, using it at maximum performance, it starts to do trotling losing 20% ​​of the performance because it starts to lower the clock frequencies, I was thinking of doing undervolt to improve both the efficiency and the temperature, but right now there isn't a video that says which is the right undervolt for the 7900x3D series since they came out a month ago or wait for asus to release some bios update that lower the voltages a bit because it is counterproductive if after heating up so much it slows down..

Keep in mind that I have the best air cooling, so I could not lower the temperature more unless I mounted a custom liquid that would maybe get a few more degrees lower but it wouldn't help much either.

I'm not 100% certain about using it with the X3D chips, but the Curve Optimizer (CO) is probably what you want to look at for undervolting.  It's part of the PB2 / PBO system, allowing you to shift the voltage curves a little.  The user-friendly interface for controlling it is AMD Ryzen Master.  If it's a supported feature on 7000X3D (I believe it is), it will show up in there.

You shouldn't expect undervolting to reduce the temperature in heavy loads like Cinebench, as Ryzen 7000 is designed to just push itself up to 95C and sit at that temperature with such loads.  Undervolting will just let it run a little bit faster at 95C, unless it hits one of the electrical power or current limits.  It's not expected to run below 95C with heavy loads on even the best of air cooling and AIOs.  AMD have designed it to run at thermal max, so it just keeps increasing boost to keep itself at that temperature unless you can absolutely overwhelm its ability to generate heat.  It's not throttling at 95C, in the way that historically caused a massive loss of performance, it's adjusting its boost to keep itself there.  Real thermal throttling occurs at a higher temperature.

If you want it to run cooler, and your board supports it (not sure what the TUF boards allow for advanced PBO tuning), you can reduce the target temperature and power/current limits (which will cut maximum performance).

Here's an AMD blog post discussing it: Ryzen 7000 Series Processors: Let's Talk About Power, Temperature, and Performance.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11

I can't understand what the update did to cause such dramatic temperature changes. If you had custom BIOS tuning, maybe the update wiped those settings? Your motherboard has plenty of CPU tuning options, you could likely alter behaviours and set core offsets to lower those temps a little and also boost peak performance.

A poor decision by AMD was making the IHS far too thick so they could keep backwards compatibility with coolers. Thermal grizzly have Delidding and IHS grinding kits. I know that is quite extreme for a lot of people, but Der8uer got something like 15c drop in temps and a boost in performance from delidding alone because of the thermal tolerance allowing better clocks sustained. I know this isn't for everyone, but yeah, if you want to tackle the crazy thick IHS and get better temps, these are your options.

willimon25
Level 9

I have recently done undervolt and I have passed cinebench to see if it was stable, reducing the negative optimization curve by -20 and the PBO to 110 and I have managed to lower the temperatures in cinebench by more than 10 degrees obtaining the same performance(max temperature package 78 degrees and cores 73 degrees) and in idl package 50 degrees and cores 37 and vrm in cinebench and idl in stable 52 degrees.

CINEBENCH BERCHMARK WHIT UNDERVOLT:
https://imgur.com/a/8JEeDkj (the dark orange was without undervolt and the light one is with undervolt)

IDL TEMPS: 

willimon25_1-1680436664970.png

CINEBENCH TEMPS: 

willimon25_2-1680436791865.png

willimon25
Level 9

I have to say that I was worried because I'm from Spain and I live in the warmest area of ​​the country (in summer it's 40 degrees every day) so if I didn't do undervoltage, even having the best cooling, it could damage the PC in summer due to high temperatures.

I leave this undervolt configuration in case it happens to someone else, they can have a solution to reduce temperatures without losing performance or stability, since I did not see anyone on the internet who undervolts the new ryzen 7900x3D

Shenny
Level 11

For X3D chips the maximum allowed temperature is NOT 95 C, as most people think, but 89 C (if I am not wrong) because of the added cache which probably has problems with the higher temperatures.

Some ASUS mobos have the so called PBO Enhancement feature which allows you to set the desired maximum temperature (80, 70, 60 C) for the CPU, and mobo is supposed to automatically calculate the PBO parameters to improve the CPU performance without exceeding those temperature thresholds. More about that in the following article: https://rog.gg/x670PBO

Check the article to also see the list of supported mobos.

willimon25
Level 9

I set the PBO to 120w and set the negative optimization curve to -20, And the maximum temperature of the ryzen X3D is 89 degrees, in fact from 88 it starts doing thermal throttling. 

i was playing cyberpunk 2077 with all graphics on ultra and no fps cap yesterday and cpu temps were around 70-75 degrees in pack and 68-73 degrees in core, L3 caches were max 52 degrees and the ddr5 ram with maximum temperatures of 52 degrees

On the other hand, the GPU of the 4090 was at 65 degrees of maximum temperature (75 degrees of hot spot).

The temperatures are not bad, although it is hot, especially by the time summer arrives, which will surely increase 5 degrees more

Cosmic_Castaway
Level 9

Best place to change settings is the Extreme Tweaker --> Precision Boost Overdrive. Other places?
the damned settings are probably broken and do not register properly (I have a crosshair hero x670e with a 7950X with a 360 LF2 AIO). Also, you need to set the thermal limit to 80 degree c this will prevent the thermal throttling.

In regards to your fans, you need to set them up properly as just having them at high rpm doesn't always mean you will get low temps. You need to set your intakes at a slightly higher RPMs and your exhaust slightly less so air lingers in the case abit thus picking up the heat off your components. The only time having your fans at high rpm helps lower temps is if your ambient temp is low or you have a nice breeze flowing straight into your pc. My H500M is literally next to a window and the wind literally flows through the case on a windy day but it also means my room becomes really cold pretty **bleep** quick lol.

230304132732 - Extreme Tweaker - PBO - PPT Limit.jpeg

Edit: really ASUS, you're going to bleep the word d.a.mn? lol lol...

Cpu: 7950X (Voltage Ceiling Locked at 1.3 Volts - No Longer PBO Tuned As Can No Longer Boot With Such Settings Due To Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly| Ram: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 32GB 6000MT/s CL32 (Undervolted Motherboard SK Hynix Profile 1.35 <-- No Longer Possible Because of Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly Now At Stock Settings) | Motherboard: Crosshair X670E Crosshair Hero | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooling: Arctic 360 Liquid Freezer 2 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX |