cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix B650 E-E Steam Launch Issue

Hostile_18
Level 7
Hi all. Installed a new 7600x on a Rog Strix B650 E-E with Vengance Fury Renegade ram 6000mhz, paired with a 4090. Everything has gone perfect apart from Steam now takes 22-37 seconds to open. On my AM4 system it took 2-4 seconds max.

Steps I have taken;
App installed on multiple drives (chipset lanes and direct cpu lanes).
Tried to launch *without* an account associated with it (same behaviour).
Booted in safe mode with networking (same behaviour).
Looked at Steam logs i.e Bootstrap and no issues found.
Tried compatibility modes.
Ran as Admin.
Tried offline mode.
Loaded Bios defaults.
Updated Bios, Latest Windows Update, Grapics card driver.
Disabled Integrated CPU graphics.

Any help would be really appreciated as it is really too long to be waiting, on a faster system. No other apps or programs are affected like this.
10 REPLIES 10

Violet_Rays
Level 7
i ran across this too, had to go into bios and go to onboard options, click drop down on my m.2 to gen 4 and now steam opens in 2 seconds now

Violet Rays wrote:
i ran across this too, had to go into bios and go to onboard options, click drop down on my m.2 to gen 4 and now steam opens in 2 seconds now

Oh interesting, thank you. I'll have a look now, my drive is only Gen 3, but I'll see what options it gives me.

Update: Didn't do anything for me unfortunately.

mine is a gen 3 970 evo plus, strange, i just know once i took it off of auto it helped

Violet Rays wrote:
mine is a gen 3 970 evo plus, strange, i just know once i took it off of auto it helped

Given everything I tired I think it might be a Bios or Steam bug. It can't be too widespread as I didn't have many hits on searching.

It is a big increase in time compared to my last system by about +500%.

I also posted on the Steam boards, turns out there's another user with the same setup/problem. Hopefully there will be a Bios update.

Good news I think, now Steam is launching in seconds again, in safe mode with networking.

How do I go about finding the conflict? (its on a new windows install).

Sorry to post four times in a row but after investigating for ages, I've finally found a solution. I thought it best to update here so if anyone else runs into it they can fix it too.

All you have to do is load device manager and disable the onboard AMD graphics.

Steam is back to launching in seconds again.

Thank you so much for getting this fixed...
i was wreaking my brains

by any chance...
did you have a boot problem?
when i start my PC i starts booting..
iam getting 1long 3short beeps and the white LED turns on..
then the pc starts normaly...
and everything works fine...
i also cant get inside the bios that way

But
when i use the displayport from my MotherBoard instead of the 1080..
then the PC starts normaly without any problems and i can get into the bios

Murph_9000
Level 14
Enable "Run Steam when my computer starts" in Steam > Settings > Interface.

It has nothing to do with your hardware or OS. Steam takes a while to start from cold. Enabling that option runs the heavy parts of Steam in the background, so that you are only opening the UI when you open the app.