cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog crosshair x670e extreme

d0x360
Level 7
How's everybody doing?

So I was looking at the support page for my 2nd high end Asus ROG motherboard and I saw 2 firmware versions so far. V0611 and v0614 beta.

Does the board ship with v0611 or do I need to flash that before I do anything else?

Also is their any reason I should or should not flash the beta firmware? I've flashed beta on my x570 Crosshair VIII Formula and never had any issues but I know it's sometimes best to wait

So I need advice on this. Should I flash the beta for the improved stability or should I wait? I'm using an aio on a Ryzen 7900x and a 3080ti FTW3 Ultra. I bought some pny xlr8 DDR5 because I knew I'd be replacing it once more kits are out there and more importantly, higher quality kits... Oh DDR4 kit, I will miss you. 2 weeks of trial and error but I got a 3400mhz c18 kit running at 4000mhz CL14-14-14-34 1T and it was fantastic lol.

Later today... UPS not preventing anyways, I will build the system and I can't wait.

I just don't know what firmware revision to use haha.
12 REPLIES 12

Soupladel
Level 10
I have the Hero version of this board and mine came with version 04** i cant remember which, so would imagine yours will be the same.

i updated to version 0611 as soon as i could before even trying to enable DOCP (i have a non-expo 32gb Dominator Platinum kit at 6000Mhz) but i have come across a few stability issues and wanted to try the beta version but when i tried it kept crashing as soon as the update started. i have posted about the bios update crash in this form and am hoping someone will have answers for me or at least an indication of what has caused this

Good to know... I'll either keep default bios or wait until it's not beta before I build. I'll wait a week and if it's still beta then I'll just keep it where it is.

As for memory I bought some cheap PNY stuff because I knew I'd end up replacing it sooner rather than later with memory of much higher quality. Still it's not bad, at least not on paper. It's DDR5 6000mhz 32 1T.

I had a similar memory strategy when x99 launched. I bought the cheapest I could although since it was the launch of DDR4 that meant 16 gigs was almost $600 so this time around it's better.

I am also hoping derbauer has his delidder available soon so I can do direct die cooling. The extra 2mm of IHS apparently adds 20c to thermals which is why we see such high temps. They had to make the IHS thicker to keep compatibility with am4 coolers but that obviously came at a steep price and I have to imagine a better solution could have been found... Like making the socket itself taller by 2mm instead of the IHS.

Under gaming my temps are not too bad, sitting at around 60ish so i would only consider doing direct die if i found i was doing more productivity work or anything that required an all core load.

I have noticed that if i try to apply any sort of PBO settings/Curve Optimiser (even a conservative -5 offset) i am getting random crashes and i don't know if that's because the chip i have got is a bit of a lemon, or if the immaturity of AM5/Bios is to blame. However i have noticed that my second CCD is consistently performing worse across all cores than the first CCD and will only hit 89c under full load when the first one is burning away at 95. I have raised a service request with AMD to try and understand if its possibly faulty.

Bigburkeyboy
Level 7
Is anyone else having an issue where the front panel USB 3.0 connectors cause the front panel USB port to disconnect? I had trouble installed Windows 10 using the front panel USB port and had to plug it into the back of my PC. My front USB ports are useless with this motherboard.

Tesselator
Level 7
d0x360 wrote:

I just don't know what firmware revision to use haha.

Shouldn't the newest BIOS and firmwares always be used - especially when it's a newly released product? I would think so anyway.

I've got the MB with 0611 BIOS, and I did not want to update it to the 0614 Beta, well because it is Beta.
Now that BIOS 0705 is out, I've installed it using the front USB, without any problems.

One thing that has changed for me with this BIOS, is that the Q-Code now displays the CPU temperature once it boots into Windows.
I've spent the whole night trying franticly to figure out all the different "error codes" I've seen on the Q-Code, when I finally realized it was showing the CPU temps.

Soupladel
Level 10
0705 on the crosshair Hero seems to have my CPU max boost limited to 5.5Ghz for some reason and HWInfo is reporting thats all core when running a single core/low thread workload. cant see anything in BIOS that would cause this and it was the same when i briefly tried the beta 0703 BIOS.

Hi guys.
I have problem with my new motherboard. I was testing it with Windows 10, 11. Same result every time.
Problem is : After install all of drivers and updates in OS (I am using Armoury-Crate to do that), everything seems to be fine, even thunderbolt.

BUT, if I connect a thunderbolt device (CalDigit TS4 or Lenovo thunderbolt 4 universal dock), after rebooting windows os, USB devices don't want appear and work. I MUST everytime restart thunderbolt dock to get my USB devices work.

If i do not restart dock, in thunderbolt manager I see it in section connected and approved devices but nothing it working on that dock. Until I reboot it.

Please can you help me ?

Using thunderbolt and dock is must-have feature for me and is necessary for my work.

rushlife wrote:
Hi guys.
I have problem with my new motherboard. I was testing it with Windows 10, 11. Same result every time.
Problem is : After install all of drivers and updates in OS (I am using Armoury-Crate to do that), everything seems to be fine, even thunderbolt.

BUT, if I connect a thunderbolt device (CalDigit TS4 or Lenovo thunderbolt 4 universal dock), after rebooting windows os, USB devices don't want appear and work. I MUST everytime restart thunderbolt dock to get my USB devices work.

If i do not restart dock, in thunderbolt manager I see it in section connected and approved devices but nothing it working on that dock. Until I reboot it.

Please can you help me ?

Using thunderbolt and dock is must-have feature for me and is necessary for my work.

Which socket are you plugging this into? the two uppermost USB-C type ports on the motherboard (assuming its vertical) are the ones connected to the intel controllers, therefore i assume these are the posrts you should be using?

I am also making the assumption your ports are the same as mine (i have the hero board, not the extreme) because i can't seem to access the extreme manual on the asus site right now.