cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM speed not as set

jokrik
Level 7
Hi there,
Am not familiar with complicated OC tuning so I've been relying on AI OC most of the time

Recently built a new system with X670E Extreme + 7950x
My RAM is Corsair Dominator CMT64GX5M2B5600C40

Set everything to auto tuning through bios, running the latest one

and yet in CPU-Z it still shows that its running at speed of 2800, anything am missing here?

2 REPLIES 2

Murph_9000
Level 14
DDR is Double Data Rate. 2800 MHz clock speed gives 2 * 2800 = 5600 MT/s (megatransfers/s, 2 per clock cycle). The speed on the sales & marketing for retail/gamer/enthusiast memory is in MT/s, and some tools report the clock speed while others report the transfer rate. It's the same for all generations of DDR, so my DDR4-3600 shows a clock speed of 1800 MHz when running at the advertised 3600 MT/s.

If you've got XMP/DOCP/EXPO enabled in your BIOS (looks like it) and the system is running ok, you're probably all good.

Edit: oh yeah, and some tools (e.g. your BIOS) and sales/marketing material confusingly use MHz for the transfer rate.

Murph_9000 wrote:
DDR is Double Data Rate. 2800 MHz clock speed gives 2 * 2800 = 5600 MT/s (megatransfers/s, 2 per clock cycle). The speed on the sales & marketing for retail/gamer/enthusiast memory is in MT/s, and some tools report the clock speed while others report the transfer rate. It's the same for all generations of DDR, so my DDR4-3600 shows a clock speed of 1800 MHz when running at the advertised 3600 MT/s.

If you've got XMP/DOCP/EXPO enabled in your BIOS (looks like it) and the system is running ok, you're probably all good.

Edit: oh yeah, and some tools (e.g. your BIOS) and sales/marketing material confusingly use MHz for the transfer rate.

Thank you for the clarification!
it all make senses now