Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime X670E pro BSOD issues

DaveG587
Level 9

I have built new system with the following:

• Prime X670E Pro Wifi  (BIOS 1813)
  • AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
  • CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 AMD EXPO iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Grey (CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K)
  • Samsung 990 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 (up to 7450 MB/s) NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V9P2T0BW)

Things I've already done....
Updated all drivers, firmware, chipset etc for all of the above. to the latest.  Clean install of Win11 Pro
Just a few stress test utilities (OCCT, Adia64, Heavyload) and all complete with no issues.

The Issue....
If I do not enable EXPO, system runs fine.  If I enable EXPR 1 or 2, then I get BSOD and instant reboot.
Can't catch the BSOD to gain the information displays.

Does anyone else have this motherboard and is using EXPO okay, or had the same problem and resolved it, if so how?

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

Oh, didnt know that. But still getting these BSODs, now really rare with lowered async ECLK (BLCK) rate from 103 to 102.50000

Mister_Benson
Level 9

First of all, start by disabling "memory context restore" and "memory power off" as indicated in this solution post. Please note these 2 settings are made under AI tweaker and under Advanced as indicated in the solution, everything is well explained in the post with the Bios settings to open.

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/unable-to-get-ram-to-run-at-expo/m-p/975356#M5213

Hi, @Mister_Benson 
Thanks for info, tried that and got BSOD within 15 mins, so sadly did not work in my case.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi,

Fair enough, although memory overclocking is never assured and manual tuning can often be required. Also unclear on what you mean by "nothing exactly matched"? The real time voltage and the VID are not the same, and you should focus more on applying and testing the suggested values rather than worrying about anything matching in software. Software measurements depend on where the reading is tapped and which array you're looking at. As already mentioned, you need to look at SVI3. Even then, you can expect some deviation from the applied voltage - this is normal.

You need to also realise the Prime board is an entry level product, and isn't even ROG line. The CPU is always a factor with these things, but for best chance of plug and play purchasing a board more geared towards overclocking helps. Enthusiast motherboards have more PCB layers to help minimize these issues.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Sorry should have made that clearer.
When I tried to match the name: VDDIO and VSOC in my BIOS  I did not find the exact same name and did not want to change something that was close as I'd be guess it's the same.

As for the board, yep fully get that the Prime is not a ROG level board, coming from the Intel Maximus XI Extreme, I can see the difference.  My reasoning for not going to the higher end board, was I no longer wanted to "tweak" and "Overclock" manually, but did want few of the feature on the X670 line over the B6 line.

Even the new board just ordered is not a ROG level board, it's the MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, because it has the same feature set (almost) as the prime, but mainly because a friend purchased that board with same memory (different CPU) and has had no issue with EXPO.  Also ordered new set of DDR5 just in case!

If after changing those I still have issues with EXPO, I'll change CPU and see what happens, if that fails then I give up and either go intel or just buy a prebuild from somewhere like Chillblast with their Warranty. 

bios 1813 sucks 1809 is okay expo 1-2 ok

Raven41
Level 9

(bios 1813 sucks) 1809 is okay expo 1-2 ok

Thanks for suggestion, but for me it's not the BIOS or any setting in this BIOS.
I replaced the motherboard with one from MSI and also new DDR5, using the same CPU I still got BSOD when running at 4800mt default or EXPO.  
So the only components I've not replaced are the CPU & PSU, as I've had no issue previous with PSU and it's a Corsair RM1000, think that should be okay.
My next option is returning the CPU and obtaining another and crossing fingers, but holiday season will get in the way, so be in Jan 24 before I can try more.
I've gone back to the Asus Prime X670e Pro WIFI board, as I preferred it over the MSI MAG X670e Tomahawk WIFI 

Merry Christmas all, catch you all in New Year

DaveG587
Level 9

Just to end this thread.
Replacement CPU has resolved the issue.

d0x360
Level 7

I've also had major issues with Corsair ddr5 on my 7950x3d and x670e extreme.  Literally from day 1 and through 3 bios updates.  Now windows is throwing memory related errors so run 10 passes of memtest to see if it's your kit or just an issue with Corsair ram and these boards as I've seen lots of people posting also seem to have the same memory.