cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build freezes or BSODs

insideru
Level 7
Hi,

I built a new system on a ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (running BIOS 0705).
CPU: Ryzen 7950X
Cooler:*Arctic Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II CPU 240mm
RAM: *Kingston FURY Beast 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL40 Dual Channel Kit [ KF560C40BBK2-32 ]
SSD: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB
PSU: Phanteks Revikt Ori 1kW
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact

I encounter serious system instability, either freezes or BSODs of all kind, either when idle or on load.
I first used another pair of RAM sticks, the better Kingston FURY Renegade Silver 16GB DDR5 6400MHz CL32 and the iGPU. This config was BSODing ALOT.
I then added an old nvidia 660 into the mix, things got a little better, but still getting BSODS.
All while running the memory on DOCP II, on its highest speed setting (6400MHz).
Ran Passmark's memtest86, errors found. On JEDEC 4800MHz no errors, system was rather stable.

Since the RAM wasn't in the QVL i thought it might be the culprit, so i bought another kit, the Beast.*
Installed, set profile to DOCP II (6000MHz). Ran memtest86, jackpot, no errors.
Then I tried running ryzen master optimizer, it freezed after bout 20mins. After restart, tried opening it again, it freezed on splash screen. Restarted, ran RM again, reset all settings to default, ran stress test: freeze.

I got the system mainly for rendering using 3dsmax and vray. Both ram kits behave the same: after some time rendering, the CPU usage drops to 0% and 10 seconds later BSOD.

Other things i did:
- repasted the CPU. Cooling seems adequate, all core rendering and system stays above 5Ghz (5,05 - 5,15).*
- tried the older BIOS rev, same issues.
- tried the Renegade with 1 stick at a time, same issues.

A week later, i am left with a whole in my bank account and another in my nerves.
Please help.*
17 REPLIES 17

Tyberious
Level 9
Ryzen Master optimizer is terrible. Don't use it. The motherboard has built in automatic optimizing that also interferes with it. You are crashing with the optimizer because its setting the offset too low on top of what the board is automatically doing in the background.

6400 is a hard ask to get stable, stick with 6000.

Clear cmos and set ram to EXPO 6000 and leave it alone for now.

Tyberious wrote:
Ryzen Master optimizer is terrible. Don't use it. The motherboard has built in automatic optimizing that also interferes with it. You are crashing with the optimizer because its setting the offset too low on top of what the board is automatically doing in the background.

6400 is a hard ask to get stable, stick with 6000.

Clear cmos and set ram to EXPO 6000 and leave it alone for now.

I back this comment

it is known that 6000Mhz RAM is currently the sweet spot for 7000 series to the benefit of the infinity fabric, its also known that going above 6000Mhz starts to get a bit more difficult with each step up so would stick with 6000Mhz until the platform has matured somewhat and DDR5 is better supported at higher speeds.

6000 is not stable either. On both kits. Only stable setup is 4800, and even that i dont know as i havent tested it that much.

Soupladel
Level 10
once you have set DOCP, what voltage does it say your ram is running with?

Its the correct voltage, 1,35V. Also checked in windows with hwinfo. In memtest86 it does say 1.1V, but on the other hand it also says 1.1V and 4800MHz, no matter the docp profile i set.

Soupladel
Level 10
Have you done a Clear CMOS since your last BIOS upgrade? unlikely to fix this but its always a good thing to do to ensure nothing has carried over from the previous version.

Also, You may want to consider trying one of the test BIOS available from one of the mods in the resource post here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130719-X670-resource

Lastly, another long shot but if none of the above sorts your problem, you could try manually configuring the RAM according to the Data Sheet for it, from here:

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF560C40BBK2-32.pdf

Cleared CMOS and left ram to default jedec spec. Booted, 30 seconds later, while browsing start menu, BSOD. Flashing beta Bios now …

LE: beta bios is very unstable. For the first time, i get both BSOD, and then freeze.

I think either the board or the cpu is defective.*

I don't think it's the memory, I think it's the CPU. I had a bad one and replaced it. Solved the issue! Also solved a few other people's problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/xxbmen/comment/is41guz/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x...

I have the same problems like topic starter.
X670E Hero R9 7900 get random BSOD.
I tried change memory from G.Skill 6000 to Kingston 6000 without success.
How to understand that the problem is in the processor?