cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone tried to remove the q-latch screws for m.2s and replacing them with normal stand-offs?

Cosmic_Castaway
Level 9

I was wondering if anyone has remove the q-latch screws for m.2s and replacing them with normal stand off in order to use their m.2 heatsinks.

As using 3x m.2s with the motherboard heatsink is results in random crashes once all drives heat 55 degrees c. Not to mention the ambient room temperature gets really warm and this on just on idle. Gaming causes temps to rise faster.

After much testing, checking, isolating gpus, bios versions, bios settings, windows updates, windows 10, windows 11.

Crashes were isolated to the m.2 cluster.

The motherboard heatsink gets very warm and not to mention the 860 Evo & the 870 qvo mounted on the case in the 2.5 inch attachment points situated on the other opposite side of this cluster also stopped being detected.

That was fixed by moving the drives to the mount points near the intake fans.

I have fixed the random crashes by using double sided finned m.2 heatsinks, the PCB sticks out where the q-latch connects therefore not covered by the heatsinks.  However, the q-latch is not tall enough by a few mm. So, it doesn't latch - right now I have resorted to using duck tape as I didn't want to damage the motherboard. Yes, frigging duct tape attached to the sata connectors, the tail end of vrm heatsink and the case itself - no ducktape on the motherboard PCB.

Since the m.2 backplate for M2_2 and M2_3 are not removable and I can't find anything anywhere that shows the q latch screws are removable.

I did contact Asus support if they could ship me taller q latches and I got the most asinine answer ever - it's made me question why did I spend £600 on a motherboard from Asus if I'm going to get a very crappy and very presumptious answer.

The CR presumed i had installed the motherboard heatsink ontop of m.2 heatsinks 🤦‍♂️ when it's not even remotely possible due to the motherboard heatsink using capitive screws. The CR also presumed the heatsink was covering the pcb notch thus prevent it latching... instead of asking for more info etc.

Case is a cooler master H500m and the GPU support arm has been replaced with the included support arm for the RX 6750 XT - MSI Gaming X Trio so there is adequate levels of airflow.

Evident by the fact right now temps are below 50 degrees. Earlier, before shutting down I was gaming and the SN850X (M2_4) was at 60 degrees (after 3 hrs of gaming). After gaming, the M.2 went down to 49 degrees - if I had motherboard heatsink on - i'd have experience multiple crashes. The game was being run from M2_3 which was at 55 degrees. The other m.2 runs hotter because it's a double sided m.2 with slim heatpads and no m.2 backplate for additional heat dissipation. This should you give an idea of the why heatsoak will become a problem with faster nvmes at higher capacities. All three m.2s have been installed in the same heatsink.

M2_1 runs warmer because of it's next to the GPU i/o shield and the air has to run over M2_3 since their both the same height. I'd use a larger heatsink but I need to replace the q latch screw - since I don't have a 3-d printer I can't make my own q-latches and asus? unless people kick up a fuss, I don't they'll bother.

So, my question again - has anyone replaced the q latch screw?

If so is it as simple as unscrewing it or do you need a specific stand-off holder to unscrew it?

Current M.2 temps 08.04.23 - 21 degrees ambient.jpg

Edit: wth, why is this now marked as spam eh Asus?

wtf why is this marked as spam lol....jpg

Cpu: 7950X (Voltage Ceiling Locked at 1.3 Volts - No Longer PBO Tuned As Can No Longer Boot With Such Settings Due To Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly| Ram: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 32GB 6000MT/s CL32 (Undervolted Motherboard SK Hynix Profile 1.35 <-- No Longer Possible Because of Sheeetty ASUS AI Tuner Killing The CPU Slowly Now At Stock Settings) | Motherboard: Crosshair X670E Crosshair Hero | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooling: Arctic 360 Liquid Freezer 2 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX |
0 REPLIES 0