cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic OC temperature turn-off doesn't work?

nirurin
Level 7
I currently have a dynamic OC set up (5250/5000 @ 1.12v) which I use for things like rendering (tested in cinebench and blender). Works fine. (runs at about 62C)

However I thought the asus board setup was meant to deactivate the OC once a temperature limit has been reached? I have set the limit to 70C, and run a prime95 AVX stress test, which (according to hwinfo) has the CPU(Tctl/Tdie) at 80C.. but it's still running the OC fixed clocks, and not reverted to PBO behaviour?

Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

Shamino
keep lowering it.
Temp threshold is based on "Calbrated CPU temp" (you shd even see something named similar in hwinfo)
it is usually lower than TCTL by around 11C
background: Calbrated CPU temp refers to a weighted average temp based on TCTL + physical thermistor.
more useful reference in situations such as when only one core is loaded (TCTL then becomes very high but overall package is actually not so hot)

Shamino wrote:
keep lowering it.
Temp threshold is based on "Calbrated CPU temp" (you shd even see something named similar in hwinfo)
it is usually lower than TCTL by around 11C
background: Calbrated CPU temp refers to a weighted average temp based on TCTL + physical thermistor.
more useful reference in situations such as when only one core is loaded (TCTL then becomes very high but overall package is actually not so hot)

There's a lot of temps in hwinfo, but none that seem to mention 'calibrated'. I'll keep running tests with lower temp values though, thanks.

Currently having another issue, where (compared to my old MSI board) this asus board is running the chip cooler... at the same watts... which should be a good thing, but it's also running the cores at a lower pbo mhz...
So for the same watts as msi, I'm getting a lower mhz but also lower temps. Which seems as if the asus board has a flatter pbo curve built in, and I can't seem to improve it. (1x scalar is the best, anything higher seems to cause slower clocks).

Shamino
it is named "CPU (Weighted Value)"

Shamino wrote:
it is named "CPU (Weighted Value)"

It's called this in your hwinfo? In which section is it? I've looked through all the asus sections and this doesn't seem to exist. I'm in the latest hwinfo beta