cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair x670e Extreme - After update to BIOS 0922 can't use EXPO anymore

decimus28
Level 10
I updated to 0922 to get ready for the x3d CPUs but now if I try to re-enable AMD Expo it will almost always POST into BIOS safe mode and ask to press F1 to setup or get stuck on memory testing. I reset BIOS to default and did the update like every other time I've done it on this board. I've been using this memory for months on all the other BIOS firmware updates without issues and haven't touched it, just updated the BIOS. Is this a known issue with a fix incoming?

EDIT: Turning on EXPO is the ONLY change from default BIOS.

EDIT 2: I tried setting Memory Context Restore to off, it got past POST once and then the issue came back, windows seemed perfectly stable when it got that far.
56 REPLIES 56

Braegnok
Level 14
decimus28 wrote:
I updated to 0922 to get ready for the x3d CPUs but now if I try to re-enable AMD Expo it will almost always POST into BIOS safe mode and ask to press F1 to setup or get stuck on memory testing. I reset BIOS to default and did the update like every other time I've done it on this board. I've been using this memory for months on all the other BIOS firmware updates without issues and haven't touched it, just updated the BIOS. Is this a known issue with a fix incoming?

EDIT: Turning on EXPO is the ONLY change from default BIOS.

EDIT 2: I tried setting Memory Context Restore to off, it got past POST once and then the issue came back, windows seemed perfectly stable when it got that far.

Have you tried disabling Fast Boot, and instead of using EXPO try Auto. Then go to memory presets, and select one of the pre-loaded profiles for 2x32 Hynix.

You will need to set the memory frequency to whichever profile you select 6200 or 6400, leave FCLK in Auto for now.

Scroll down to Voltages, set CPU SOC Voltage to Manual Mode, set to 1.25000, set VDDSOC Voltage Override to 1.25000.

Set DRAM VDD Voltage to 1.40000, and DRAM VDDQ Voltage to 1.40000.

In Ai Tweaker scroll down to Power Down Enable, and change to Disabled. Scroll down to UCLK DIV1 Mode, set to UCLK=MEMCLK.

Give that a shot, see if those settings work. It's going to take awhile to boot into Windows the first few times as your fast boot is now disabled, and your system is training your memory, testing timings, setting up system to boot safely into Windows.

If you still have issues booting into Windows with those settings, then try going back and setting CPU SOC Voltage to 1.35000, VDDSOC Voltage Override to 1.35000.
Hopefully that resolves your issue.

decimus28
Level 10
Turning CPU SOC to manual only seems to give me the option for VDDSOC, I can't find a place for a CPU SOC value in BIOS 0922.

But I did try the rest a few times with the 6200 option(most of the options actually under Extreme Tweaker and Extreme Tweaker->DDR Timing Control). Typically it gets stuck on memory test(I've given it over 10 minutes)
Keeps doing so until I clear CMOS. One set I tested got stuck on NVMEM test and another on HDD. Also EXPO didn't work at 1.25 or 1.35 VDDSOC when I tried that too. Usually with just EXPO on testing it will goto the POST fail screen after full power reset(fans/lights off etc) instead of getting stuck in memory test.

I also have tried manual inputing the working timings and voltages I got from HWinfo when EXPO was on in BIOS 0805. Also didn't work. 1.25 VDDSOC 30-40-40-96 (146 trc, 884 trfc) fclk 2000 mhz

After all the testing I did now get my first BSOD(ever for this system) back on optimal defaults(BIOS 0922) a few minutes after windows start. Hoping it's not related to trying to boot with the 1.15 VDDP the preset put it at or the 1.35 VDDSOC(Neither worked)

I replaced my ThreadRipper 3970X to 7950X3D without re-installing the system.
After assembling, I updated the BIOS first to 0922, then installed the chipset driver.
I followed the setting from portal. And it has worked well up to now.
Mine MEM is G.SKILL Trident F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

decimus28 wrote:
Turning CPU SOC to manual only seems to give me the option for VDDSOC, I can't find a place for a CPU SOC value in BIOS 0922.

But I did try the rest a few times with the 6200 option(most of the options actually under Extreme Tweaker and Extreme Tweaker->DDR Timing Control). Typically it gets stuck on memory test(I've given it over 10 minutes)
Keeps doing so until I clear CMOS. One set I tested got stuck on NVMEM test and another on HDD. Also EXPO didn't work at 1.25 or 1.35 VDDSOC when I tried that too. Usually with just EXPO on testing it will goto the POST fail screen after full power reset(fans/lights off etc) instead of getting stuck in memory test.

I also have tried manual inputing the working timings and voltages I got from HWinfo when EXPO was on in BIOS 0805. Also didn't work. 1.25 VDDSOC 30-40-40-96 (146 trc, 884 trfc) fclk 2000 mhz

After all the testing I did now get my first BSOD(ever for this system) back on optimal defaults(BIOS 0922) a few minutes after windows start. Hoping it's not related to trying to boot with the 1.15 VDDP the preset put it at or the 1.35 VDDSOC(Neither worked)

That's not good.

Looks like your best option right now today is going with a 2x16GB kit. And at least have a stable system with 32GB RAM.

And hopefully soon you can swap-out memory, and run 2x32GB,.. after things get sorted with your motherboards BIOS.

decimus28
Level 10
I was hoping to get it to work with much less voltage increase. 1.25 VDDSOC worked for me with 0805 on this system with same cpu/memory EXPO on as I'm now trying. 1.45 VDDSOC is higher than I'd like to go.

decimus28
Level 10
Hoping the BSOD was just bad memory training for that one boot. Playing around with timings in 0805 now and everything runs nice still, nothing too high(I think, I'm new to this).

30-40-40-96 1.4v 6000mhz uclk=memclk, fclk 2000, 1.245 VDDSOC, 1.376 VDDIO, 1.110misc.

I may go back to 0922, keep the defaults and install the x3d. And if default isn't stable doing the 16x2. Also having a backup 16x2 in the future when the BIOS works again wouldn't be the worst thing I guess as I'll have a extra cpu and psu now anyway. Just bums me out not being ram that's fully stable at 0805.

Another possibility is that support page shows 0705 as first BIOS needed for x3d but not sure if 7950x3d will really work with 0805 and what would be lost by doing so.

decimus28 wrote:
Hoping the BSOD was just bad memory training for that one boot. Playing around with timings in 0805 now and everything runs nice still, nothing too high(I think, I'm new to this).

30-40-40-96 1.4v 6000mhz uclk=memclk, fclk 2000, 1.245 VDDSOC, 1.376 VDDIO, 1.110misc.

I may go back to 0922, keep the defaults and install the x3d. And if default isn't stable doing the 16x2. Also having a backup 16x2 in the future when the BIOS works again wouldn't be the worst thing I guess as I'll have a extra cpu and psu now anyway. Just bums me out not being ram that's fully stable at 0805.

Another possibility is that support page shows 0705 as first BIOS needed for x3d but not sure if 7950x3d will really work with 0805 and what would be lost by doing so.

0805 is the most stable BIOS for me, yes the 79XX3D chips are supported from 0705 upwards.

So if 0922 is not working/stable for you, personally I would roll back to 0805.

Perhaps the Xbox Game Bar function for X3D will not function properly, or the system may not optimally use the X3D cores with 0805,.. that is no concern for me vs stability.

Yunior4GT
Level 7
Can anybody confirm if bios 0805 works with no issues on 7950X3D?

Yes, I used 0805 with 7950X3D without any issue. Performance is slightly below 0922.

But I recommend the test bios 0088. It's stable like release bios 0805 but uses newer AGESA 1.0.0.5c (better performance with 3D-models) instead of older AGESA 1.0.0.3.

Best of all, test bios 0088 gives back the Memory Context Restore function, which did not work with 0922-0925. Enabling Memory Context Restore in 0922-0925 lead to really bad system malfunctions: CMOS-Reset, TPM vanishing, Windows destruction...

I use G.Skill DDR5-6000CL30 EXPO2-profile 64 GB. No problems with 0088.