cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Restarts X670E

Anthony_Kinson
Level 7
I know a few other people have mentioned this in various threads, and I can't for the life of me find a solution in the forums. I have the CROSSHAIR x670E Hero board and I am constantly being hard reset randomly throughout the day.

It's become unbearable, 6 hours into my work day and I have 32 hard restarts while I'm working, not even putting the system under any heavy load. It will restart while in chrome or while writing code in VSCode, if I leave the PC on the windows login screen it will hard restart after a few minutes of just sitting on the login screen.

I get the "early adopter" thing, but this board cost almost as much as a 7950X and I kind of expect a high-end product to work out of the box. i have no overclocks, i even have EXPO disabled and run everything at stock, and still issues. I'm running the latest 0750 bios (i couldn't even get into Windows with earlier bios versions that shipped!)

Weirdly, if I fire up a game, the hard resets don't seem to occur, putting the system under load seems to stabilize it to some degree. I've been using these crosshair boards since the 1800X CPU and never had these kinds of problems and I'm out of ideas on how to get this thing stable enough to work.

It's really disheartening when you spend thousands of £'s on a system upgrade for it to be so much worse than your old machine.

If anyone else has experienced this and found a fix I'd love to hear your solutions.

my pc info should be in my profile, but i'm running the 7950X, RTX 4090 and 64GB DDR5 (2x 32GB) @ 5200 (although recently disabled EXPO)

UPDATE: If you're having this issue I found setting the windows power plan to "High Performance" prevented the random restarts. It's not a "fix" but it should at least stop the reset until a proper fix is implemented.
31 REPLIES 31

Soupladel
Level 10
Have a look at this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130981-New-build-freezes-or-BSODs/page2#post876364

The response from Planetbeing abd making sure your UCLK settings is UCLK=MEMCLK has actually helped me a little and it might help you with the restarts

I had a similar issue with my X670E-I + 7700x. PC would randomly restart after 5-10minutes of 0 load idle. Oddly enough turning windows to "high performance" power plan instead of balanced fixed the problem for me. maybe worth trying?

You could also try messing with curve optimizer. Having the curve too far negative can crash during low load. So maybe a positive curve would help with stability?

Dabenport wrote:
I had a similar issue with my X670E-I + 7700x. PC would randomly restart after 5-10minutes of 0 load idle. Oddly enough turning windows to "high performance" power plan instead of balanced fixed the problem for me. maybe worth trying?

You could also try messing with curve optimizer. Having the curve too far negative can crash during low load. So maybe a positive curve would help with stability?

Worth a shot, I did change to the balanced power plan after my initial build as it was set to us an old "Ryzen Performance" plan from my 3950X. switched it over to just regular high performance for now and will see how that goes.

Appeciate the help!

Wanted to come back and post an update here.

My random restarts have now completely stopped, it seems UCLK=Auto (the default setting) was the issue. After changing it to UCLK=MEMCLK I've not had a single system restart. Left it running for a couple of days. I did some stress tests, and everything is solid, even with EXPO re-enabled.

Appreciate the help!

For anyone else having this issue, just pop into BIOs and change the following setting.

Advanced -> AMD Overclocking -> Accept Overclocking Agreement -> DDR and Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings -> Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers -> UCLK DIV1 Mode -> UCLK=MEMCLK

Anthony Kinson wrote:
Wanted to come back and post an update here.

My random restarts have now completely stopped, it seems UCLK=Auto (the default setting) was the issue. After changing it to UCLK=MEMCLK I've not had a single system restart. Left it running for a couple of days. I did some stress tests, and everything is solid, even with EXPO re-enabled.

Appreciate the help!

For anyone else having this issue, just pop into BIOs and change the following setting.

Advanced -> AMD Overclocking -> Accept Overclocking Agreement -> DDR and Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings -> Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers -> UCLK DIV1 Mode -> UCLK=MEMCLK

Out of interest, which version of BIOS are you running?

Soupladel wrote:

I had this issue on 2 BIOS versions, the factory one from August and the latest: 0705.

Soupladel wrote:

The latest 0705

I've had the exact same issue with random resets while idle on my ROG X670E. The first thing I did was check the event log for any errors and nothing, it was like the reset button had been pushed. The second thing I did review was the power plan and set it to balanced from the ryzen one. The only real difference in the ryzen plan was the minimum processor state. The ryzen profile has the minimum state set at 90%, while the balanced is 0%. I just implemented the UCLK=MEMCLK setting so we will see if this addresses the issue. I dont care about benchmarks or having the fastest system on the block, I just want stability and reasonable power usage while idle.

Soupladel wrote:
Have a look at this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130981-New-build-freezes-or-BSODs/page2#post876364

The response from Planetbeing abd making sure your UCLK settings is UCLK=MEMCLK has actually helped me a little and it might help you with the restarts

i had read that but didn't think to try it, just updated UCLK=MEMCLK so will see how that goes and report back.