cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold reboot Kernel-Power 41 (63)

everdrone
Level 7
Hi all, I'm new here and been working on this problem for almost a week now.

My setup for context:
HX1000i
7950X
X670E Hero
MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
EK AIO 360
2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 6000MHz CL36 (QVL)

Basically sometimes my PC reboots, no BSOD, no minidump. just reboot.
I tried installing a clean windows 11 multiple times to do some tests and the problem occurred with every install.

I even managed to find a "manual" trigger for the crash by opening (with any software, quicklook, windows photos, photoshop) a very large 20000x13000@24bit jpg image. Every time I open that one or a similar one, the PC reboots (i can provide urls if you have a similar system and are willing to help out)

Other things I have tried that DID NOT WORK:
- memtest86 4/4 0 errors
- sfc /scannow
- chkdsk /f /x /r
- dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- disabling EXPO
- enabling EXPO
- Resetting BIOS to default
- Updating windows
- Updating drivers
- Clean install windows
- Enabling ECO Mode

Things I tried that did work:
- Running in safe mode (image loads fine, no crash, no reboot)

At this point no BIOS updates have been arriving for a long time and I'm kind of losing hope.
There's also the PCIE slot issue that someone else mentioned in another thread about the GPU not fully clicking into the slot, probably because of the glass next to the SATA connectors.
29 REPLIES 29

VentureO
Level 8
7950X | X670E-E | MSI 4090 | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | 980 Pro 1 TB | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 | SeaSonic VERTEX GX-1000

Have gone through all the same troubleshooting steps as you. Only additional step I did was doing custom settings for power plan - turning off hard disk sleep, turning off fast startup.

The most stable I got it was for an 8 hour gaming session, outside of that I get pretty constant random power offs.

Have done multiple rebuilds and windows reinstalls.
Swapped out PSU and started with the basics ( cpu, cooler, 1 stick RAM to run the install)
Tried different windows 11 builds, different driver install methods...
At this point I have an RMA open but because its not consistent I am willing to bet they will just pass all their preset tests and send the parts back..

Would love anyone elses input for things to try next! Thank you in advance ❤️

Tsikos
Level 10
everdrone wrote:

My setup for context:
HX1000i
7950X
X670E Hero
MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
EK AIO 360
2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 6000MHz CL36 (QVL)

I tried installing a clean windows 11 multiple times to do some tests and the problem occurred with every install.

I even managed to find a "manual" trigger for the crash by opening (with any software, quicklook, windows photos, photoshop) a very large 20000x13000@24bit jpg image. Every time I open that one or a similar one, the PC reboots (i can provide urls if you have a similar system and are willing to help out)

Other things I have tried that DID NOT WORK:
- memtest86 4/4 0 errors
- sfc /scannow
- chkdsk /f /x /r
- dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- disabling EXPO
- enabling EXPO
- Resetting BIOS to default
- Updating windows
- Updating drivers
- Clean install windows
- Enabling ECO Mode

Things I tried that did work:
- Running in safe mode (image loads fine, no crash, no reboot)

At this point no BIOS updates have been arriving for a long time and I'm kind of losing hope.
There's also the PCIE slot issue that someone else mentioned in another thread about the GPU not fully clicking into the slot, probably because of the glass next to the SATA connectors.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-crosshair-x670e-overclocking-discussion-thread.1799959/po...

Try this bios will solve the BSOD in cold boot!

warhawk3407
Level 8
everdrone wrote:

i am also facing the exact same issue since about a week.

Just a reboot, no minidump, no traces in event viewer. It happens when not doing a CPU intensive task (idle or simple web browsing).

* Windows 11 up-to-date
* amd 7950X
* Asus x670e CREATOR bios 805
* 2X16GB 6000MHz CL30 1.35v EXPO 1 G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N
* EK AIO 360 Elite
* ASUS STRIX RTX 4090

* Power plan set to Ultimate
* PBO Disabled

My bet is a driver / windows 11 issue, since it was stable for months.

I will wait before updating the BIOS, since it seems to be very unstable (as I read here).

warhawk3407 wrote:
i am also facing the exact same issue since about a week.

My bet is a driver / windows 11 issue, since it was stable for months.

I will wait before updating the BIOS, since it seems to be very unstable (as I read here).

I would hate for this to be the case, but it does make sense..

The other thing it seems the 3 of us have in common is a 4090... :shrug:?

I don't think it is a PSU issue, because I am using "only" a good but old Antec HPC 850, while only plugging 3 out 4 connectors for the 4090 (yeah i know, but I want to wait for the seasonic vertex 1200p in July 2023).

I don't have experienced any issue with the PSU since November.

I don't think it is a 4090 driver issue because I haven't updated the drivers since 11 Jan.2023 (528.02).

My bet is related to the motherboard, in particular the chipset firmware / bios.

What is your chipset version ? Mine is from 22 February - 4.11.15.342

EDIT: i will update to 5.02.19.2221 (published 28-feb-2023)

I have also installed the same day AMD Ryzen Master. Do you have it installed too ?

Ended up picking up a 7950X3D this week to see if it was a CPU issue - but I just got the same problem again.

I have seen a couple threads about modifying the c-state settings, so that will probably be my next step

VentureO wrote:
Ended up picking up a 7950X3D this week to see if it was a CPU issue - but I just got the same problem again.

I have seen a couple threads about modifying the c-state settings, so that will probably be my next step

I use 7950x3d and meet the same problems.
Espicially using chrome, it will stock and reboot. It will not dump anything when it reboot.
Yesterday I use y-cruncher and test about 4 hour, very stable.
But when I turn on chrome it reboot again.

VentureO wrote:

I have disabled C-States control in my Bios : as of now, it seems to fix this annoying issue.

Let's wait and see if it is stable...

warhawk3407 wrote:
I have disabled C-States control in my Bios : as of now, it seems to fix this annoying issue.

Let's wait and see if it is stable...

Bios set to default seems work for me.
Running core cycler 8hr no reboot.
Maybe its PBO error?
I dont know why AMD give you this function but actually it does not work stable, maybe the c state limit
cause?