cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B650E-F GAMING WIFI: Weak on-board Bluetooth

CheeseBoar
Level 8

On my B650E-F motherboard, some -- but not all -- Bluetooth devices seem to have a hard time working well. For example, if I play a game using a DualShock 4 controller, using gyro aiming in Steam is perfect, but doing the same thing with a DualSense controller with the same settings results in choppy movement. If I connect a Bluetooth headset at the same time as a Bluetooth controller, my mic sounds really bad to everyone I'm speaking to, but it's immediately fixed as soon as I turn the controller off. If I plug my controller in and use it wired, the headset works perfectly.

I thought that maybe I was getting a bad signal or interference, or something, but plugging a $10 Bluetooth dongle into the back of my desktop and using that instead of the on-board Bluetooth yields perfect connections: There's no choppiness with gyro controls, and having a controller and a headset connected at the same time doesn't cause my voice to sound distorted. I suppose this is a fine solution, but I'd rather not take up a USB port if my motherboard has Bluetooth built in. No BIOS updates have fixed this, the Bluetooth drivers on the support page for the B650E-F haven't been updated to anything newer than what I have installed, and both the included antenna and third-party antennas that I've tried don't seem to make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I've tried everything that I can think of to improve the connection.

EDIT: Asus's drivers are extremely outdated, and I found perfectly working ones here:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/drivers-amd-mediatek-wifi-bluetooth.11384/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CheeseBoar
Level 8

I found the solution, and I've added it to the original post.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Have you connected the WiFi antenna? This is used to boost the signal for both the onboard WiFi and Bluetooth signal.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have the antenna connected, yes. I tried the one that came with the motherboard and a pair of third-party ones, but nothing helped.

Apologies, I see in the OP you mention trying different antennas. Using the supplied antenna the range should be roughly 10 metres. Do you have a router or wireless access point in close proximity to the system? I'm wondering if there's some interference.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

There is a modem/router close to the computer, yes. I could try to move the computer to a different room and see if that helps, but it would kind of surprise me, since the Bluetooth USB dongle doesn't seem to have interference issues, and my last Asus motherboard (a Ryzen 5000 motherboard) didn't have any issues with the on-board Bluetooth. But if I get a chance after work, I'll try to see if moving it helps.

Thanks for the assistance, by the way.

(EDIT: I wasn't able to try moving my desktop last night, so hopefully I get to it tonight.)

CheeseBoar
Level 8

I tried moving my desktop to another room, and that didn't seem to help the on-board Bluetooth. The cheap USB dongle is working great, though. I think I may have to accept that this board might just not have good Bluetooth, which is kind of a bummer.

CheeseBoar
Level 8

I found the solution, and I've added it to the original post.