Did you mean: 

B650E-F GAMING WIFI slow boot time with EXPO enabled

WoXx
Level 7

Configuration:

MB: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700

RAM: G.SKILL Flare X5 F5-5600J3636D32GX2-FX5

After enabling AMD EXPO profile PC boot time increases to 1.5 minutes till desktop loading. It takes approximately 1 minute till PC get POST (till then black screen). When EXPO is disabled PC boots normally in few seconds but the problem is that RAM is at 4800 MHz speed. At this moment motherboard has BIOS 1222. Is there any solution or I should wait till new BIOS fixes?

18 REPLIES 18

WoXx
Level 7

Answer to mbaowang suggestion:

My first step is load defaults, next reboot, and then I set MCR enabled in Advanced settings after that save settings and turn off PC. So after turning it on this time it loads to Windows desktop and immediately comes BSOD.

Answer to Silent_Scone

My memory modules are new so I bought them with motherboard and other hardware. PC is stable with RAM 4800Mhz default frequency and same when AMD EXPO profile is enabled. Haven't any BSOD or freezing at all. I get BSOD only after I enable MCR. Only problem is slow boot (POST) times.

I did Memtest86 test today and got 6 errors during test 13 (Hammer test) in first pass. I did little research about it and there is no one opinion in most cases it's nothing to worry about in home computer. So is it true or I should spend money for new modules I have no idea.

Answer to Braegnok:

Yes, when you set same parameters as EXPO profile has, result is the same - very slow boot time.

Hi, WoXx!

I had exactly the same problem with my TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS and G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 2x16GB 6000MHz CL36. Extremely slow boot time when enabling EXPO or changing memory timings manually.

And also had instant BSODs on Win11 boot after enabling "Memory context restore" in: [Advanced menu - AMD CBS - UMC Common options - DDR Memory features]

But! Thanks to Flexxxx post on previous page I can finally enjoy fast boot times and expo altogether.

To do this you SHOUD NOT enable "Memory context restore" in "Advanced menu", but go to [AI Tweaker menu – DRAM Timing Control] and the enable “Memory context restore” and “Power Down Enable”

I didn’t even know that “Memory context restore” is also present in "AI Tweaker menu", but when I enabled it there – at long last my PC started to boot fast (like with disabled EXPO profile). No BSODs, no errors, no stability issues.

"BIOS time" from task manager decreased 3 times: from 36 seconds to 12 seconds.

Tested on latest stable BIOS v1409 (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

tanis138
Level 8

Great news! With the latest stable bios AGESA 1.0.0.7 (v1616 for my motherboard) there's no need to set Memory Context Restore anymore. EXPO works fine right out of the box. At last!

After update to 1616 BIOS (EXPO enabled) I get normal boot times but PC is not stable. Windows loads normally and at first time everything seems to work fine but after testing some software crashes periodically and sometimes PC crashes to BSOD.  After disabling EXPO PC works stable.

Hmm, strange. May be your memory is not stable in EXPO mode. I've tested my system with OCCT tool on previous bios versions without Context Restore and on 1616 - everything's stable. No bsods or errors. The only bsods I had were on previous bioses with context restore in Advanced Mode/ And those were instant bsods on Win11 boot.

But, I'm using some undervolting in my system (PBO-30 plus 100W limit):

AI Tweaker\Precision Boost Overdrive
Precision Boost Overdrive [Manual]
PPT Limit [100]

AI Tweaker\Precision Boost Overdrive\Curve Optimizer
Curve Optimizer [All Cores]
All Core Curve Optimizer Sign [Negative]
All Core Curve Optimizer Magnitude [30]

Deutsche07
Level 8

I turn WiFi off on this motherboard for security reason i use Ethernet (wired) 

iso-100
Level 7

Enabling Memeory Context Restore reduces my BIOS time from 36 seconds to 12 seconds.

I replaced my Asus B550-A gaming, Ryzen 3700X, 4x8 GB Ram with

Asus B650-A gaming, Ryzen 7600, 2x16 Ram, Kingston FURY DIMM 32 GB DDR5-6000, KF560C36BBEAK2-32

With the B550 I had Bios times of about 14 Seconds, boot-times of about 36 seconds

with the B650 I had bios times of about 36 seconds and more and booting time in total of about 55 seconds.

And I thought, what a great board/cpu-Combination I just have replaced.

Then I searched and googled and found hints about memory training and such things.

Differences between DDR4 and DDR5.

I hope the systems runs stable with Memory Context Resatore enabled.

Romin
Level 7

i also had similar issue with boot time was somewhere between 40sec to 67sec. after several restarts my system decided not to POST anymore. i was stuck into orange LED. i tried bios flashback and it went well but my issue remain same no POST stuck to orange LED. then i tried ROG certified RAM and now everything is stable and bootime is 25-27 sec and windows take 2 secs to load. 

mrflib
Level 7

I wanted to drag up this thread to let Google people know that I had this problem on ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 1636, new build with 7950 and 64gb CMK64GX5M2B6000Z30 RAM which is not on the QVL list.

I was getting 90 seconds boots times with most of that on the DRam yellow Q-LED and then a normal boot.

I went to BIOS, did a search for the word CONTEXT and got two results for Memory Context Restore. I left the top on Auto and set the bottom on to Enable.

I now have boot in seconds. Hope this helps anyone that finds the thread.