cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B650E-E Can't get back into BIOS

09Kr0058
Level 7

New build with the ROG STRIX B650E-E and after completing the Windows 10 Pro install, I can't get back in to the BIOS.  When booting up, I've tried hitting the F2 key multiple times and even holding it down while booting up, but it always goes to the Windows login screen.  Also tried this process using the delete key, still can't get to the BIOS.  I then remembered the Windows power setting "Turn on fast startup" and turned that off.  Still, I can't get back into the BIOS when booting up from a powered-down system.

What am I missing?

24 REPLIES 24

If proving problematic, just use HDMI. Should avoid all issues.

Appreciate the link @Apothocary but I'm a bit wary about using that tool.  It says it is for:

GeForce RTX 30 Series: 
GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GeForce RTX 3060

Mine is the ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti.  Not sure if the ASUS branding makes any difference, but the fix targets the 30 series.

Has anyone tried this on the 6 series?

This tool isn't for your GPU, unfortunately. Will be worth speaking with them directly, as this issue stems from the GPU and it's output.

Thanks for you help. When I use recovery mode to boot I get a Black Screen. It appears as everything is working, because I can press caps lock and works, but Black Screen is there.

I have the 3080 ti and the AMD on board display actived. I think that it could be an issue between PCI Express 5.0 and 4.0.

09Kr0058
Level 7

I finally figured out what is going on here.

When I first built this box last week and booted it up, I was getting the q-code d6 - no console/no vga, even though I had a new ASUS Geforce GTX graphics card installed.  Did a bunch of searches on this issue and nothing made sense.  The card came with an short adapter with female DVI connector on one end and a male display port connector on the other.  Since my monitor is DVI, I hooked the DVI cable from the monitor to the adapter and plugged the adapter into the display port on the back mobo.  Bingo!  I then kept that connected and did my Win 10 install.

Once everything was ready, I plugged the DVI cable from the monitor into one of the connections on the graphics card.  It was yesterday when I realized I wasn't seeing the ROG boot logo when starting the PC, after a few seconds I see the W10 login screen.  I just hooked the monitor up with that adapter again and BINGO, I see the boot logo and am able to get to the BIOS.

Now the question is, how do I get the POST stuff to go to my graphics card and not the display port?  I can't seem to find any setting in the BIOS to do this.

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

BTW, I spent about 20 minutes on a support chat with ASUS and that was a total waste of time.  They said I needed to update the BIOS, which obviously wouldn't have done squat!

See my previous post about the NVIDIA tool.

mdelacruzperu
Level 8

Continuing the tests today, I can summarize the following:
- If we completely remove the 3080 ti GPU, completely uninstall the nVidia drivers with the DDU utility and connect the video directly to the CPU's integrated video, the issue seems to work. Except the overclock of the RAM.
- As for the 3080 ti, the 1003 Beta bios does not work and causes the GPU to not be recognized. Windows 11 does not enter and a reboot loop is created. The bios 0925 works everything except the overclock of the RAM. Using the HDMI cable with this GPU doesn't fix the problem either.
Will there be any solution for this issue? Should we keep waiting for BIOS updates? Are there other configurations that work without any problem?

mdelacruzperu
Level 8

One additional test, for information purposes:

If I use 64 Gb of RAM, 4 slots of 4 used, the default speed goes down to 3000 Mhz, if I use 32 Gb, 2 slots of 4 used, the default speed goes to 4800 Mhz. The motherboard default speed announced.

mbaowang
Level 9

Try to use intteral GPU Port that CPU have.