cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus x670e hero ram problem ?

sandrino71
Level 7

I have a problem with my rog x670 hero.

Sometime, in random windows crash and send me an memory problem. Hi have 2x16 gb ddr5 kingston KF564C32RSAK2-32 which are officially supported in the list of compatible rams with this motherboard.

when I have these problems I try to decrease the speed, usually they are set at 6000/6400 mhz, but even at lower speeds they give the same problem.
I noticed that by removing a bank it improves considerably.
Now I'm wondering, are these ram compatibility issues? bios problems?

To date they haven't even completely fixed the spdif output bug, which after the update works better but still has the same bug from time to time, and the audio suddenly disappears.

I have the feeling that asus uses us as guinea pigs in the latest motherboard models. Even in the old x570 card I had similar problems. Possible???

I paid my x670 hero 900€ to have a product full of bugs????!!!!

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

6400MT is the very upper limit, not all CPU's will be able to do this and it's not possible to give any assurances when it comes to overclocking.

Test system stability at Optimised Defaults.

Clear CMOS via the rear IO panel. Then enter the UEFI again and run Memtest86+ from the Tools menu.

If passed sucessfully, enable EXPO for 6000MT and use one of the following tools once in the OS. If either test throws errors then report back.

HCI MemTest Pro
HCI Memtest can be run via DOS or Windows. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

An instance needs to be opened for each individual thread, covering a total of 90-95% of memory, giving the OS a little breathing room.

NOTE: Version 5.0 notes state that it's 30% faster than previous versions. For testing densities beyond 16GB - it's recommended you use 5.0 Pro or later

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

obviously I did all the necessary tests, I know that having the ram beyond a certain threshold is overclocking. But here we are talking about ram also at 4800mhz. The thing that pisses me off is that asus or amd don't think at all about users who are not familiar with the myriad of bios options.
I understand the basic settings, but in theory if one leaves the motherboard at default, it should have stability and functionality.
Thank you anyway for your suggestions, I will do as you said waiting for Asus to pardon us, in the meantime we have the 1410 bios for this motherboard which is proposed to avoid burning the cpu, with the related performance getting worse. Can I at least be annoyed given what I spent and end up being a beta tester???

I apologize for the english but I use google translate

Hello,

Your post does not reference 4800MT, you simply said lower speeds. What BIOS options are you referring to that you do not understand? Your post seems to be conflating a whole host of issues and not really asking any direct questions (perhaps it's a language barrier).

If the system is unstable at complete defaults in Memtest86 as I've already suggested, then test both modules individually in slot A2 and report back.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I did tests both with ram at default 4800mhz and at 6000mhz obviously with timing and voltages reported on the kingston website. at 4800 it rarely happens that the system stops suddenly, which happens much more often with ram at 6000.
obviously in both cases they use a single bench (both tested) this problem does not exist and everything runs smoothly like oil.

Cyirak
Level 8

Not looked into what chips are on the RAM you have but generally my understanding is Hynix is less problematic than Samsung. The frequency at which you can run the memory will differ from processor to processor as its dependent on the IMC, this will also influence things like SoC, VDDIO/MC voltage etc. With the latest UEFI, voltage to SoC have been limited to avoid damage and degradation to the CPU so you may not be able to hit 6400 anymore despite the memory being on the QVL. I'd imagine that QVL hasn't been updated since the voltage limits were imposed. 

As Silent_Scone suggested, i would test stability on factory defaults, after doing a UEFI/BIOS update to the latest bios. if that is stable try enabling EXPO/XMP, also make sure that memory context restore is off (you can turn this on later once you find some stability but make sure you also enable memory power down). If EXPO/XMP doesn't work, try enabling it to apply the timings and then reducing the speed to 6000. Most CPUs can do this speed.

Good luck, hope you find some stability.