cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X670E boot time too long

jordanKills
Level 8
Hi,

I am have an issue where my boot up time for my new PC is very slow. i know that the first time boot up when i built the PC is long but this is getting ridiculas. My old PC would start up in half the time. i have the following install:

MOBO; Asus crosshair x670E
CPU; AMD 7050x
RAM; G.Skill 32gb @ 6000: 2x 16gb
GPU; EVGA 3090ti
39 REPLIES 39

Qwinn
Level 11
Oh, let me also recommend... I'm not familiar with Windows 11, I'm still on 10, but... I would look for a Windows option called "Fast Startup" and disable it. Doesn't seem to me to have any positive effect and sometimes can have a negative effect. See what happens anyway.

Also, if you haven't already, in BIOS under Secure Boot, if it says "Other OS", try setting it to Windows UEFI.

Qwinn wrote:
Oh, let me also recommend... I'm not familiar with Windows 11, I'm still on 10, but... I would look for a Windows option called "Fast Startup" and disable it. Doesn't seem to me to have any positive effect and sometimes can have a negative effect. See what happens anyway.

Also, if you haven't already, in BIOS under Secure Boot, if it says "Other OS", try setting it to Windows UEFI.

I was able to disable fast startup and changed in bios from other os to windows uefi but that didn’t help.Â*

I did notice that my ram isn’t supported by Asus x670e hero on Asus website. however the GSkill ram I got is amd certified. Â*Â*Could this is the issue.Â*

jordanKills wrote:
I was able to disable fast startup and changed in bios from other os to windows uefi but that didn’t help.Â*

I did notice that my ram isn’t supported by Asus x670e hero on Asus website. however the GSkill ram I got is amd certified. Â*Â*Could this is the issue.Â*

Well, right now with DDR5 and brand new tech, anything is possible. But I wouldn't stop looking for other causes just yet.

What BIOS version are you on? If it's anything other than 0705, I think your next step is definitely to get on 0705.

And how long is your actual boot anyway?

jordanKills wrote:

When you finally do boot, are you actually running at 6000 speed on your memory? It's possible that you have it set that high but the IMC can't actually handle it, that it takes a while trying, fails, and then downclocks to something it can handle. That would be my bet anyway.

Either way, try downclocking it somewhat (say, 4800) and see what happens to the boot time.

pagusas
Level 8
per the other reply in this thread, enabling "Context Restore" completely fixed my 20+ second post times, now the board goes through post in like 2 seconds 🙂

pagusas wrote:
...enabling "Context Restore" completely fixed my 20+ second post times, now the board goes through post in like 2 seconds 🙂

For me was the same on my TUF x670e gaming plus wifi and 2x16 Gskill Flare X5 6000 CL36, BUT got some bsods and firefox tabs randomly crashing, after memtesting got 5k errors+ after 30% of test, setting content restore to Auto fixed the Issue, but also made Post times longer again (newest bios from 25.10)

ASUS x670e Hero
0803 Bios
Ryzen 7950x
2x Corsair CMH32GX5M2D6000Z36K VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MT/s 36-36-36-76 AMD EXPO Black PCB 1.35V
Bios OC: AMD EXPO II

This memory is not listed on the compatibility list; however, it works perfectly with my current settings.

Semi-long boot. Tried to enable "context restore" and repeatedly got blue screen crash so I cleared the CMOS and then got a "new CPU installed" error. Put everything back, context restore back to AUTO. Still have the semi-long boot, but everything is working perfectly. Guess I will stay with the longer boot up for now, until someone finds another solution.

NOTE:
Tried 2x CORSAIR CMT32GX5M2D6000C36 Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 6000MT/s 36-36-36-76 (this memory IS on the compatible list), and I could not get my computer to boot whatsoever.

Seems odd that the memory on the compatible list doesn't work for me, but the memory that is NOT on the compatible list works.

Nate152

Hello 

My Z690 system takes 42 seconds to get to the pin log in screen. If you're shutting off the psu switch, this may add to boot time.

light380
Level 7

Hi 

Have you tried to change the option of memory timing from auto to the correct value for your ram? I have red a user on reddit doing that. 

I'm actually interested in buying the x670e TUF but I would like to know if the slow boot time can be fixed.

kiniku
Level 7

I realize this is an older thread.  But I recently bought/built a new PC with X670E Plus Tuf Gaming and had the slow boot issue also.  I'm retired so I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to fix this.  One time I stumbled upon normal boot times and now I have found the solution:

1.  Confirm you have the latest BIOS.

2.  Set System memory to EXPO-1, not EXPO 2.  (EXPO 1 reads the recommended timing settings the manufacturer sets for their sticks.  EXPO-2 has the motherboard adjust and set the overclocked timing settings for each boot.) 

3. Under Extreme Tweaker\DRAM Timing Control\Memory Context Restore change from auto to enabled.

You might have one more slow boot.  But after that, boot times should be more of what you would expect.  Remember, don't use EXPO-2 because if you make setting change 2 with that you'll get boot errors, BSODs, etc.