cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix X670E-E "double boot/post" issue

zbugrkx
Level 8

Hi,

Brand new AM5 build (coming from an AM4 build with an Asus board as well) with a 7800x3d , 2 x CL30 6000MHZ EXPO dd5 64gb.

When power is removed at night, the first boot will result in the machine turning on for 20sec, turning off then back on again and proceed to memory training then windows boot.

If power is left during the night, the machine will boot only once with memory training and then windows boot.

I have not seen such issue in the past and cannot seem to find any particular "known" problems or documentation about it or if any bios settings might be the culprit.

In either cases, everything appears to work just fine, no crashes or any particular problem "yet". I am just trying to understand this behavior as it does not sound "normal" to me (else I would expect it to be documented somewhere?)

Thank you for any insight or help on this.

16 REPLIES 16

beat_g
Level 7

did you try bios 1410 yet?
make sure you clear the cmos after flashing a new bios

RIG1: ASUS ROG Strix GA35 (G35DX-CH031R)
RIG2: Custom PC with Asus Rog Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi

This board does not have a 1410 bios. Latest is 1101, current beta being 120x.

you are absolutely right.
1101 was released in the same time frame, and "ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.6" was alread updated with 1004, so it is probably comparable.
Do you flash 1101 or above and did you do a cmos reset after flashing?

Yep flashed 1101 and did cmos reset several times already trying different combinations, no luck so far.

did you change your ram settings from auto to expo after the cmos reset ?
I recommend leaving it on auto until you get your system to work.
then try expo I or expo II with a lower than advertised memory speed .
If it runs stable for a few days, increase the speed  and retest.
It it's still stable increase again, until the problems start.
Then go back to the last known good settings.
I have Corsair Vengance 6000MT CL30 2xs16GB (CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30) currently set to 5600MT CL 30 because I have boot problems when they are set to 6000MT 
I hope that AMD/Asus can resolve this in the future, but at the moment it doens't work.

This is what I will try first. Just go down to default RAM settings and see if it is another EXPO related problem like most appear to have. It should be pretty quick and easy to spot. The speed difference is however pretty noticeable and running at lower speed is tough when you spend quite a premium on a high end expo kit 😕 Mine is a 64gb G.SKILL CL30 A-DIE.

What boot issues do you get with your kit? Same as mine? Double post ?

When we overclock the system there is sometimes a need for a double boot before the POST stress test attempts to de-skew the signal lines by sending 1000 of commands to check that the memory is stable. This may or may not happen at optimised defaults as we're not attempting to push the system outside of spec, so there is no need for a re-train. My advice would be that as long as the memory is stable, don't become too preoccupied with it.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thank you for the additional insight.
My concern is that, this "double post" does a complete power-off of everything (all fans, rgb, aio pump etc) and then back on. In the log run, I am concerned that some hardware (maybe even my SSD's) are not particulary going to like being powered on and powered off twice every day.

This is the main reason why I have been trying to figure it out as I would not want to stuff fail on me because of that.
This plus the fact that it does not seem to be happening to most other people and is quite of a rare thing as I barely find discussions etc on forums.

With my Rog Strix B650E-E Gaming mobo i had two issues:
-slow boot times, with my current settings it boots much faster.
-on the first boot of the day, i saw the ROG  bootscreen, but  then the screen went black, and I could not see the windows login screen.
after a hard reset, I usually could log into windows, even if i powered the system down during my lunch break.

If you can get the system running stable at 5600-5800MT, it's still better that having boot issues and corupt system files all the time with 6000MT, but I do hope this is getting fixed.