Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair X670e Hero not booting ASUS TUF 4090 OC

Airman86
Level 7
—— SOLVED——-*
Hello guys,

I turn to you with the request for help, because I have no idea what else I can do. I can't get my TUF 4090 OC to run on the 670e Hero.

The Hero has BIOS 0805, the card is not recognized at boot, the screen stays black. Except RAM on EXPO 1 I have no OC settings enabled in BIOS, it's all default. The error codes of the Hero do not give a consistent picture. Sometimes it boots into Windows on the iGPU, sometimes not.

Two times I managed to get into Windows with the TUF 4090, at the next restart again the same picture - then it didn't work anymore. This on different Hero BIOS versions.

The TUF 4090 runs without problems in my old system. Is immediately recognized and boots. My old RTX 2080 runs without problems in the new system. So it must be the combination of the TUF 4090 with the Hero.

Even with CMS enabled nothing changes, PCIe 1 is on force 16. The TUF 4090 has the original vBios. I have done several CMOS RESETS as well. No change.

*The specifications of the new system: X670E HERO (BIOS 0805), AMD Ryzen 9 7950x, Corsair Dominator 64 GB (EXPO 1), GPU ASUS TUG Gaming 4090 OC, bequiet dark power 1200 W.

*Do you have any ideas ?
6 REPLIES 6

COCOLELE
Level 7
Had a very similar issue with my ASUS TUF 4090 (non-oc) + ASUS x670e Hero + AMD 7900x in the below ROG forum thread. I tried many things and i did not manage to solve it. But perhaps anything in the thread below can guide you? Check it out.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130866-4090-rog-strix-oc-no-video-output-after-reboot-unle...

COCOLELE wrote:
Had a very similar issue with my ASUS TUF 4090 (non-oc) + ASUS x670e Hero + AMD 7900x in the below ROG forum thread. I tried many things and i did not manage to solve it. But perhaps anything in the thread below can guide you? Check it out.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130866-4090-rog-strix-oc-no-video-output-after-reboot-unle...

Hello COCOLELE, thank you for your reply. Yes I have followed your thread very attentively already and tried many things from it. unfortunately all without success, just like you.

I have with out loud desperation now bought a NVIDIA RTX 4090 Founders Edition at an exorbitant price. Simply to test the graphics card. With this it runs better, I come at least after a few attempts in Windows. However, the restart does not work just like with you.

The card is only recognized on PCIe x8 gen 4 when I set the Force to x16 in the bios. If I leave everything on Automatic, the card is detected on x16, but only on gen 1.1. However, this does not change the problem with the reboot and the sporadic detection.

I am in contact with ASUS support via ticket, so far no useful feedback.

Soupladel
Level 10
Airman86 wrote:
Hello guys,

I turn to you with the request for help, because I have no idea what else I can do. I can't get my TUF 4090 OC to run on the 670e Hero.

The Hero has BIOS 0805, the card is not recognized at boot, the screen stays black. Except RAM on EXPO 1 I have no OC settings enabled in BIOS, it's all default. The error codes of the Hero do not give a consistent picture. Sometimes it boots into Windows on the iGPU, sometimes not.

Two times I managed to get into Windows with the TUF 4090, at the next restart again the same picture - then it didn't work anymore. This on different Hero BIOS versions.

The TUF 4090 runs without problems in my old system. Is immediately recognized and boots. My old RTX 2080 runs without problems in the new system. So it must be the combination of the TUF 4090 with the Hero.

Even with CMS enabled nothing changes, PCIe 1 is on force 16. The TUF 4090 has the original vBios. I have done several CMOS RESETS as well. No change.

*The specifications of the new system: X670E HERO (BIOS 0805), AMD Ryzen 9 7950x, Corsair Dominator 64 GB (EXPO 1), GPU ASUS TUG Gaming 4090 OC, bequiet dark power 1200 W.

*Do you have any ideas ?

How are you Powering the card?

Are you using the adaptor supplied by Asus, an adaptor supplied by "Be Quiet" or even a third party cable from the likes of cablemod that connects direct to the PSU at one and and the 12vhpwr on the other? This can be critical because if the card doesn't think it is getting at least 450w of power, it wont boot. Now i realise that it is sort of booting sometimes but it could still be down to a power fault.

What about the Power connections on the Motherboard?

Presumably you will have the ATX 24pin cable connected, but did you connect both of the EPS 8pin connectors to the left and above the CPU socket, or just one? in theory it shouldn't matter if at least one of these is connected, but i always err on the side of caution and connect both anyway.

Have you tried any other BIOS versions?

0805 is a Test Bios as far as i know and isn't exactly supported as a traditional BIOS would be, or perhaps its better to say that a test BIOS is way more likely to cause problems and it is not unreasonably to assume that might be the case here. If you haven't already tried, I would suggest going back to the last official BIOS which is 0705 and seeing what happens there.

Did you do a Clear CMOS after flashing the BIOS?

Some people recommend this, i have done it myself, but its maybe a good idea to ensure the slate is cleaned before trying again. I know you have said you ahve no Overclock in place, but what happens if you do a clear CMOS and change nothing in BIOS? not even enabling EXPO etc...

Soupladel wrote:
How are you Powering the card?

Are you using the adaptor supplied by Asus, an adaptor supplied by "Be Quiet" or even a third party cable from the likes of cablemod that connects direct to the PSU at one and and the 12vhpwr on the other? This can be critical because if the card doesn't think it is getting at least 450w of power, it wont boot. Now i realise that it is sort of booting sometimes but it could still be down to a power fault.

What about the Power connections on the Motherboard?

Presumably you will have the ATX 24pin cable connected, but did you connect both of the EPS 8pin connectors to the left and above the CPU socket, or just one? in theory it shouldn't matter if at least one of these is connected, but i always err on the side of caution and connect both anyway.

Have you tried any other BIOS versions?

0805 is a Test Bios as far as i know and isn't exactly supported as a traditional BIOS would be, or perhaps its better to say that a test BIOS is way more likely to cause problems and it is not unreasonably to assume that might be the case here. If you haven't already tried, I would suggest going back to the last official BIOS which is 0705 and seeing what happens there.

Did you do a Clear CMOS after flashing the BIOS?

Some people recommend this, i have done it myself, but its maybe a good idea to ensure the slate is cleaned before trying again. I know you have said you ahve no Overclock in place, but what happens if you do a clear CMOS and change nothing in BIOS? not even enabling EXPO etc...

Hey Soupladel,
many thanks for your feedback. Pls find my answers below:

How are you Powering the card? : Using the Adapter by ASUS
What about the Power connections on the Motherboard?: Both of the EPS 8pin, as well for sure the 24 pin 😉
Have you tried any other BIOS versions? Yes, I tried starting from 0705 all versions until 0805, issue persists
Did you do a Clear CMOS after flashing the BIOS? Multiple times.
but what happens if you do a clear CMOS and change nothing in BIOS? not even enabling EXPO etc: issue persists.

I have with out loud desperation now bought a NVIDIA RTX 4090 Founders Edition at an exorbitant price. Simply to test the graphics card. With this it runs better, I come at least after a few attempts in Windows. But after a reebot the card is again not regognized.

The card is only recognized on PCIe x8 gen 4 when I set the Force to x16 in the bios. If I leave everything on Automatic, the card is detected on x16, but only on gen 1.1. However, this does not change the problem with the reboot and the sporadic detection.

Could it be a hardware problem with my CPU not able to support a gen4 card by x16 ?
What component should I test next ?

I'm out of ideas lol, many thanks for your support!

Airman86 wrote:
Hey Soupladel,
many thanks for your feedback. Pls find my answers below:

How are you Powering the card? : Using the Adapter by ASUS

What i meant by this was are you connecting 4 dedicated 8 pin connectors to the adaptor, or are you suing the "pigtail" connectors i.e one 8Pin PCIE connector on the PSU is technically powering two or more of the connectors on the adaptor?

Also, when you try to boot, doe you see a little red LED beside the 12vhpwr connector on the card before trying to boot or after trying to boot?

Thanks for your support so far, but I solved my problem.Â*

Never thought about this, as the seen error were not consistent.Â*
Nevertheless my problem was the GPU raiser cable I was using. This was only GEN 3 ready.

I was not aware that those GPU raiser cable are only capable of handling dedicated GPU versions.
I bought a GEN 4 GPU raiser cable and it directly works. GPU is recognised GEN 4 x16.Â*

Also the restarts do not make a problem anymore, card is booting and BIOS Splash is displayed. Â*