cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x570 E Gaming Board Chipset fan grinding noise on spin down at shut down

primeshooter
Level 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwbxvsdY-g

A little similar to that, but not as bad. Mostly only occurs on spin down, sometimes the odd grinding noise during running the PC too. Quite annoyed as this is only a 2 year old babied build - what to do?
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Yeah, that's a fan bearing issue. The fans aren't really designed to be serviced so unfortunately you just have to replace it. Usually even OEM fans will have some sort of model number on them and if you search that on Ebay you'll find sellers offering compatible replacements.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Yeah, that's a fan bearing issue. The fans aren't really designed to be serviced so unfortunately you just have to replace it. Usually even OEM fans will have some sort of model number on them and if you search that on Ebay you'll find sellers offering compatible replacements.

It is more just at spin down, the more I listen it is different to the noise in the video.

If sounds like you are right though. Could anyone with this board that is a bit more techy than me just tell me the exact fan to buy - I am not that great with this stuff and don't want to have to take it apart first to find out what is needed, then put all back together so I can use the PC in the meantime until the part comes. Do I have any recourse with ASUS, might they send out the part?

xeromist
I have an x570 E that I got used and didn't have the fan shroud. Looking at the fan, it appears to be identical to one I saw replaced on a PRIME x570 PRO. It appears most if not all ASUS x570 boards probably use the same fan. That was identified as KSB0405HB. I'll link an AliExpress sale below. I doubt it's even close to the best price and you should check Ebay UK but it has clear pictures so you know what you're looking for.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832131050169.html

Some of the google results for that fan model show a version with a blower enclosure. It might be a compatible fan inside but I wouldn't order one unless they have clear pictures of the fan inside so you can confirm it's the same.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I have an x570 E that I got used and didn't have the fan shroud. Looking at the fan, it appears to be identical to one I saw replaced on a PRIME x570 PRO. It appears most if not all ASUS x570 boards probably use the same fan. That was identified as KSB0405HB. I'll link an AliExpress sale below. I doubt it's even close to the best price and you should check Ebay UK but it has clear pictures so you know what you're looking for.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832131050169.html

Some of the google results for that fan model show a version with a blower enclosure. It might be a compatible fan inside but I wouldn't order one unless they have clear pictures of the fan inside so you can confirm it's the same.

Thank you, I do appreciate it. My mate has just reminded me of my 3 year warranty so I have emailed them first!

primeshooter
Level 10
Weird issue continues really only a buzz at shutdown. I don't think it is coming from the Chipset. I've checked every fan. My case is a dark base pro so the 3 case fans are silent high quality fans. The ryzen rgb fan isn't noisy. So what could this be?

xeromist
Sometimes coil whine might sound like a buzz. So this could be something as simple as the power supply experiencing a different load. If it is just coil whine then it's a normal and non-harmful behavior for electronic components.

xeromist wrote:
Sometimes coil whine might sound like a buzz. So this could be something as simple as the power supply experiencing a different load. If it is just coil whine then it's a normal and non-harmful behavior for electronic components.

Hey thanks for chiming in. You know...you could be right. To me (not the most techy person in world but I do ok) it sounds like a fan slowing down and buzzing. Yet tonight...it did not do it. I notice weird stuff like the case can be noisey depending on where it sits on my desk. Desk is solid but still...it can sound like a grind in one place and smooth in another. Apparently not a new issue this as my mate said he has experienced it.

I am using a really nice 1200watt power supply from Asus the thor model

xeromist
It's not really about the wattage as much as hitting a specific load. Sometimes it can vary based on other components in a system as well. So you might have a PSU that whines in one system, but not another. Similar with GPUs. From what I understand coil whine basically happens all the time but it's not always at that perfect resonant frequency that drives humans nuts. Manufacturers do put some sort of resin to damp vibrations but it isn't perfect. This is also why older devices can start to whine if the resin cracks or breaks down.

Again, this is all my limited understanding from reading internet forums, so take all of that with a grain of salt.