cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 - disable PCIe 4 in BIOS

Romarco
Level 7
While trying to cope with the well known USB "problems" which seem to affect many systems where the latest Ryzen CPUs and PCIe 4 coexist, I would like to test my pc (Asus PRIME X570-PRO, R7 5800X, 32GN DDR4 3200, 980 Pro 1TB) with PCIe 4 disabled, aiming to see if the USB problems really disappear and to evaluate the actually perceivable loss of SSD performance.

My question is:
what is the correct way to fully disable PCIe 4 inside the BIOS settings, so that the test can prove reliable?
Is it enough to set at "Gen3" the PCIe setting of the single M.2 slot where the 980 Pro is seated or are there some other things to do?

Thanks fro any help.
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Assigning the slots in the UEFI to GEN 3.0 that are populated is sufficient enough, yes.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thanks for your quick and clear answer.

I tried this, it reduced the frequency of USB issues but they were still there. Latest bios seems to be best but its not really stable for me and I can no longer run 1800mhz FCLK on my 3950x.

Well, Dan69, your post sounds like... no good news. :]

I thought that the USB issues concerned only the combination "latest Zen3 CPUs + PCIe 4", especially with the X570 chipset.
Your experience, however, tells something quite different and reinforces my fear that those issues lay somewhere else, upstream, maybe back in the hardware design itself, and therefore are now very difficult (or even impossible) to remove.

Besides, just now (while writing this) I've had a cursor freeze and I had to unplug/re-plug my USB mouse, as... usual (sadly).
Which seems to confirm your report, because I happen to have just rebooted my system after changing the BIOS M.2 slot setting from "Auto" to "Gen3"...

Romarco wrote:
Well, Dan69, your post sounds like... no good news. :]

I thought that the USB issues concerned only the combination "latest Zen3 CPUs + PCIe 4", especially with the X570 chipset.
Your experience, however, tells something quite different and reinforces my fear that those issues lay somewhere else, upstream, maybe back in the hardware design itself, and therefore are now very difficult (or even impossible) to remove.

Besides, just now (while writing this) I've had a cursor freeze and I had to unplug/re-plug my USB mouse, as... usual (sadly).
Which seems to confirm your report, because I happen to have just rebooted my system after changing the BIOS M.2 slot setting from "Auto" to "Gen3"...

Hello Romarco,
Please update bios 3801: update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2, fix USB connectivity issue. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/PRIME-X570-PRO-ASUS-3801.ZIP
Hope that works.
Thomas
Sincerely,
TY

Thanks Thomas for your advice.
Sadly I have already updated to BIOS 3801, a few days ago.
The issues have become somehow less frequent, but they are definitely still there.

PS. Moreover, the phrase "fix USB connectivity issue" was present also in the release notes of the previous BIOS update (3603 with AGESA 1.2.0.1) which I had installed immediately, at the very first power on, before any other software (operating system included).

Romarco wrote:
Thanks Thomas for your advice.
Sadly I have already updated to BIOS 3801, a few days ago.
The issues have become somehow less frequent, but they are definitely still there.

PS. Moreover, the phrase "fix USB connectivity issue" was present also in the release notes of the previous BIOS update (3603 with AGESA 1.2.0.1) which I had installed immediately, at the very first power on, before any other software (operating system included).

Hi Romarco,

Sorry to hear that. Please try to disable Global C-State controls by going to BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-State Control -> Disabled; F10/Exit to Save & Changes and reset.

If you still have an issue, please PM me with your details specifications and I will check internally for you.

Thomas
Sincerely,
TY