cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 DARK HERO USB issues

Streiff29
Level 7
Hi

All Software that controls USB devices behaves strangely..
iCUE: Keyboard works but RGB is DEAD and iCUE can't find it. Sabre mouse same thing but RGB is color cycling. NEXUS turns ON and appears i iCUE but is unresposive.
MSI Gaming intelligence (monitor OSB via USB): Launches program but gets stuck in loading.
ASUS Armoury Crate: Generally works but is SUUUPEER SLOOOWW...
L-connect: (fan-controll connected via internal USB): Sometimes has to be manually started for fans to connect with Armoury crate.

I have tried: rebooting, diconnecting power to PC, uninstalling UBS stuff in devicemanager, reinstalling all software, updating windows/software/BIOS, clear CMOS, changing all USB realated BIOS settings. Keyboard and mouse work flawless in laptop (ASUS G551J, Win 10 home)
Basically I have tried everything but clean reinstalling windows (I'd rather not) and changing mobo (not an option cus I'd have to buy one...)

In my mind it's a mobo problem.. Is it even a possibility that reinstalling Windows would help?

Thoughts on this?
What should I do?

PC specs; ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII DARK HERO, X570 mobo, 5900X CPU, Corsair 32gb cl16 RAM EK AiO, Lian Li fans, Strix 1070 OC, Creative sound blaster ZxR,
two M.2 SSDs, (one Pci-e 4.0), two SATA SSDs, and two HDDs in RAID 1, Win 10 PRO
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

I would certainly consider at least installing a dummy OS to test if the behaviour is still present on a clean W11 build.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent_Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

I would certainly consider at least installing a dummy OS to test if the behaviour is still present on a clean W11 build.

Interesting..! Didn't know that was an option... How would I go about doing that? Is there a specific good guide I can follow or can you explain how?
THX

Streiff29 wrote:
Interesting..! Didn't know that was an option... How would I go about doing that? Is there a specific good guide I can follow or can you explain how?
THX

Install another copy of W11 on a different drive or partition. The dummy part alludes to installing it for testing purposes.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent_Scone@ROG wrote:
Install another copy of W11 on a different drive or partition. The dummy part alludes to installing it for testing purposes.

Ok, so I disconnected the PC. Removed all of my SSDs and HDDs. Also my soundcard. I removed the Cmos battery put it back in after a dustcleaning.
Then plugged in a singel new empty SSD and installed W11 on that. No other storage connected.

And, sad to say. No change. All RGB is still "out of order"

I saw that it wouldnt work as soon as i pushed the power button cus all RGB were as al left them w/ my other OS drive.
Also the keyboard should have color cycled.. It didnt.

So either AMD has a new USB issue or something on my mobo is "dead". Since it has nothing to do with windows and the keyboard works on my laptop.
Or is there something els I have missed?

Streiff29 wrote:
THX

Ok, so I dissconnected the PC. Removed all of my SSDs and HDDs. Also my soundcard. I removed the Cmos battery.
Then plugged in a singel new empty SSD and installed W11 on that. No other storage connected.

And sad to say. No change. All RGB is still "out of order"

I saw that it wouldnt work as soon as i pushed the power button cus all RGB were as al left them w/ my other OS drive.
Also the keyboard should have color cycled.. It didnt.

So either AMD has a new USB issue or something on my mobo is "dead". Since it has nothing to do with windows and the keyboard works on my laptop.
Or is there something els I have missed?

BillBittel
Level 12
Wow. The list of programs you mentioned is like a who's who of buggy programs to avoid. iCue is a bloated, buggy mess. Armoury Crate is a borderline virus. MSI software is notoriously bad, I don't know much about L-Connect other than a lot of people don't like it and are looking for alternatives. I am not surprised you are having problems. I would delete all of this junk except maybe L-Connect, which you may be stuck with depending on the model and quantity of Lion Li fans you have.

Asus software often does not uninstall cleanly and Armoury Crate is no exception. The easiest path may be to reformat your OS drive, reinstall a clean OS, and do not install any of these programs except L-Connect. Disable the auto-install of Armoury Crate in the BIOS. I suspect your problems will vanish. For the Icue controlled hardware, check out OpenRGB and Signal RGB. Both should be able to control your Corsair RGB devices.

I just realized that I haven't fully confirmed that it isnt a PCIe lane allocation problem.
If i simply disconnect my sound card, my SSDs/HDDs and all my USB devices does the PCIe allocation "reset" by it self or do i have to manually tell it not to distribute lanes to certain ports?