cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 Crosshair Hero Wifi Boot Issues

BlueJediGuardia
Level 8
Hello,

System:

CPU: 5900X running stock.
RAM: Trident Z 3000 CL14 32GB (4x8GB) running with XMP/DOCP
MB: X570 Crosshair Hero Wifi
GPU: RX 6800
PSU: Corsair HX850i (850W)

Since putting this system together I have gotten very weird boot behaviour. On the first startup the system POSTS and can be configured without issues. The system will boot to OS and work fine. When the system powers down and goes to a soft power state the system will no longer POST, even after a full power cycle. The system stops at QCodes 02 and 07 usually, sometimes 94, but it may hit others randomly too. The VGA LED will be lit. Memory seems to pass. If you leave it on long enough it may boot, with both the VGA and BOOT lights on simultaneously. Takes about 5 mins to get into BIOS. This is followed by very slow drawing of the screen. Screen appears line by line.

Initially, the only fix I had was to clear CMOS. I can load the exact same BIOS configuration and it will work fine until it goes back to a soft power state. This occurs on all BIOS versions 2311 -> 3003 but is worse on anything Patch C. I usually get WHEA blue screens on later BIOS as well.

I initially thought this was a GPU error since the VGA light was normally lit for all QCodes but swapping the GPU and trying different PCI slots had no effect. GPU works fine in other systems. I had read from other sources 4 sticks of RAM was causing people issues. It seems this was isolated to higher speeds and exhibited different behaviour than this, but I figured I'd rule it out. Pulled two sticks out and the system has been booting okay so far. RAM kit works fine on other systems. So likely this was the issue. I also tried both XMP and manual timings (DRAM calculator Safe timings) with a decent bump to voltage.

Anyone have suggestions or ideas? Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I looked for anyone having similar issues but nothing exactly fit what I was seeing.

Cheers.
1,686 Views
4 REPLIES 4

ffletchs
Level 10
BlueJediGuardian wrote:
Hello,

System:

CPU: 5900X running stock.
RAM: Trident Z 3000 CL14 32GB (4x8GB) running with XMP/DOCP
MB: X570 Crosshair Hero Wifi
GPU: RX 6800
PSU: Corsair HX850i (850W)

Since putting this system together I have gotten very weird boot behaviour. On the first startup the system POSTS and can be configured without issues. The system will boot to OS and work fine. When the system powers down and goes to a soft power state the system will no longer POST, even after a full power cycle. The system stops at QCodes 02 and 07 usually, sometimes 94, but it may hit others randomly too. The VGA LED will be lit. Memory seems to pass. If you leave it on long enough it may boot, with both the VGA and BOOT lights on simultaneously. Takes about 5 mins to get into BIOS. This is followed by very slow drawing of the screen. Screen appears line by line.

Initially, the only fix I had was to clear CMOS. I can load the exact same BIOS configuration and it will work fine until it goes back to a soft power state. This occurs on all BIOS versions 2311 -> 3003 but is worse on anything Patch C. I usually get WHEA blue screens on later BIOS as well.

I initially thought this was a GPU error since the VGA light was normally lit for all QCodes but swapping the GPU and trying different PCI slots had no effect. GPU works fine in other systems. I had read from other sources 4 sticks of RAM was causing people issues. It seems this was isolated to higher speeds and exhibited different behaviour than this, but I figured I'd rule it out. Pulled two sticks out and the system has been booting okay so far. RAM kit works fine on other systems. So likely this was the issue. I also tried both XMP and manual timings (DRAM calculator Safe timings) with a decent bump to voltage.

Anyone have suggestions or ideas? Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I looked for anyone having similar issues but nothing exactly fit what I was seeing.

Cheers.


I have another thread
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121753-Asus-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-latest-bios-windows-boot-i...
with similar issues, not the same but similar.

Machine will boot, be stable for days, then a random crash, usually during idle, and then no matter what bios settings (settings that worked fine before), its very hard to get it to boot to windows again until I reflash.

Mind you it always posts, just fails to boot to windows, always at the same stage, after spinning gog-wheel thingy (when its initializing USB devices and switching to win10 login screen) it reboots to bios. Disconnecting USB devices sometime helped.

Bios 3003 is much better for me although not 100% fixed, setting LLC to lvl3, disable cstates, setting idle power to typical all help, but I'm barely able to run DOCP,

I have 2 memory kits, one Corsair (micron edie) and TeamGroup Samsung Bdie, both DDR3600. Before these new bioses I could use DRAM calculator settings, the micron edie @ 3733 Safe preset and Bdie ddr3600 fast preset @ DDR3800. I can run the B-die at DDR3800 14-14-14-28 @1.45V in another machine.
Now I barely can run stock DOCP and sometime when the machine/bios start acting up have to fall back to DDR 2400/2666 with all auto just to get the machine to boot to windows.

Asus insist the memory is faulty and tells me to test the memory, I can memtest forever, no errors, besides memory worked fine before these new bioses, work fine if I flash older bios and work fine in another computer, its NOT the memory. Its obviously to me a bios/agesa issue which frankly Im amazed don't get more attention, the bios forums/reddit threads have a lot of users having issues with these new bioses (not just asus).

My bet is Asus will tell you to test your memory......

ffletchs wrote:


...

Asus insist the memory is faulty and tells me to test the memory, I can memtest forever, no errors, besides memory worked fine before these new bioses, work fine if I flash older bios and work fine in another computer, its NOT the memory. Its obviously to me a bios/agesa issue which frankly Im amazed don't get more attention, the bios forums/reddit threads have a lot of users having issues with these new bioses (not just asus).

My bet is Asus will tell you to test your memory......


Thanks for the info.

I got it booting reliably with 4 DIMMs now by manually setting the VDDSOC, VDDG CCD/IOD and CLDO VDDP voltages.

I can only run DOCP. Manually setting memory speed and timings, even slower/loser ones, puts the system in an unbootable state. Usually halts on code 9A, "USB initialization is started". Something is definitely off here.

Guess I'll sit tight and hope the Patch D version of this AGESA code helps.

BlueJediGuardian wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I got it booting reliably with 4 DIMMs now by manually setting the VDDSOC, VDDG CCD/IOD and CLDO VDDP voltages.

I can only run DOCP. Manually setting memory speed and timings, even slower/loser ones, puts the system in an unbootable state. Usually halts on code 9A, "USB initialization is started". Something is definitely off here.

Guess I'll sit tight and hope the Patch D version of this AGESA code helps.


do you have pci gen 4 gfx? Cause I'm having USB issues as well, based on threads on reddit there seems to be an issue with gen4 pcie gfx and usb. But I'm getting very little help here on the asus forums

ffletchs wrote:
do you have pci gen 4 gfx? Cause I'm having USB issues as well, based on threads on reddit there seems to be an issue with gen4 pcie gfx and usb. But I'm getting very little help here on the asus forums


I think I saw some comments about PCIe 4/USB issues on reddit that got resolved by forcing PCIe 3. I have left all my PCI settings on auto. Looking at HWiNFO64 it appears my 6800 is running in PCIe v4.0 x16 mode. USB is fine running the DOCP profile with PCIe 4 on then, but I'm also running slower memory.

Feels like troubleshooting whack-a-mole. I've never seen a board throw so many weird USB/VGA POST errors just because the memory timings were set manually rather than by the DOCP profile.

Sounds like some folks with Gigabyte boards having similar issues saw an improvement with a beta BIOS based on Patch D. Hopefully Asus isn't too far behind.