cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 C8 Dark Hero Missing A-Volute Sound driver solution

SMB_92
Level 9
Hi folks,

Wanted to report that after installing the Realtek drivers available on the support page for the Dark Hero, I was left with an "unknown device" in Device Manager (would only appear after installing the driver).

I decided to notify Asus AU support about this issue, and was quickly greeted with generic responses, however after I realised I should look at the hardware ID of the unknown device I found it was an "A-Volute SS3 VAD" driver missing (supposedly this comes with Sonic Studio 3 enabled boards' driver packages). Anywho after notifying support again of the identified issues I'm still greeted with "send board back for warranty and re-install windows" generic "support" lmao.

Also I believe this missing driver is causing an APPCRASH event with DtsApo4Service.exe in Event Viewer, despite that I hadn't installed DTS software. I haven't seen the event since fixing the missing A-Volute driver, but I'll verify in the coming days.

Anyway thought I should parrot this on this forum so anybody else might find a solution. You can get the driver from another ROG thread here (many thanks to MoKiChu): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596

I did try to install Sonic Studio 3 from the Windows Store, but that did not come with the driver - suppose it needs to come down/be bundled with Realtek driver initially.

You'll want to download the SS3 package and install the INF file from the folder "SS3>OEM_INF_Media" - you'll then see the new device show up as "Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer" under Sound Devices in Device Manager.

Hope this helps, and perhaps a team member could pick up on this for a more permanent fix 🙂

Cheers.
13 REPLIES 13

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

This is correct for your motherboard but incorrect for his motherboard.

He have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

He need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) Gen2 from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (MB | Intel 5xx/6xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40).

Thank you for the correction. While you're reading this, is there a way to just have the Realtek driver and "Realtek Audio Console" without the A-Volute and Nahimic parts? I believe A-Volute and Nahimic only provide the "enhancements" and support for Sonic Studio and other related applications - if I'm incorrect them I'm happy to be corrected.

I've not used Sonic Studio or similar applications since the Z97 (4790K) as it's always been unstable, poorly coded, and useless. Seven-to-eight years later and that's hasn't changed.
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Piers wrote:
Thank you for the correction. While you're reading this, is there a way to just have the Realtek driver and "Realtek Audio Console" without the A-Volute and Nahimic parts? I believe A-Volute and Nahimic only provide the "enhancements" and support for Sonic Studio and other related applications - if I'm incorrect them I'm happy to be corrected.

I've not used Sonic Studio or similar applications since the Z97 (4790K) as it's always been unstable, poorly coded, and useless. Seven-to-eight years later and that's hasn't changed.

Hi,

Look at my post here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127457-Remove-Sonic&p=854207#post854207.

BillBittel
Level 12
Agree with what you said. Sonic Studio, A- Volute, and Nahimic has never done anything for me but cause problems.

BillBittel wrote:
Agree with what you said. Sonic Studio, A- Volute, and Nahimic has never done anything for me but cause problems.

Have you found a way to just install the Realtek driver and control panel? My motherboard has (actually giving Asus praise) a really awesome feature that is USB type-C audio instead of optical and it's great, and I believe supported by the standard Realtek drivers. As far as I'm aware, A-Volute and Nahimic are only responsible for Sonic Studio, sound enhancements, and other stuff I'm not interested in.
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro