cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X470-I: Unable to enable SVM Mode after BIOS Upgrade to 2008

nico35
Level 7
After upgrading my STRIX X470-I Motherboard BIOS to version 2008, I am unable to save some settings.
In particular, I am unable to set the SVM Mode to "enable".
After I set the value in the BIOS and restart, the value gets reset to "disabled".
Other values like "POST Timeout" or "PSS Support" also are not persisted after a reboot, while for instance the "CPU Fan Monitoring" or "SATA Mode" options
do get persisted (thank God for that or I wouldn't even be able to boot).

Has anyone run into this issue? I cleared the CMOS state hoping a factory reset would help, but to no avail...
11 REPLIES 11

aaraujo
Level 7
I have the same motherboard with the same BIOS version. Can you specify where exactly is "SVM" and "PSS Support" within the BIOS?

They are both under Advanced -> CPU Configuration.

aaraujo
Level 7
Enabled them. After rebooting they are still enabled. I am not sure if they are working though.

Right.
That's what failing for me. It was fine before the upgrade to BIOS v2008, but after the upgrade, whenever I enable them, after a reboot they remain disabled.

Very frustrating, as that prevents any kind of virtualization...

aaraujo
Level 7
I have 2008 installed. I do not see a reason for us to observe a different behaviour. What if you install a another version of the BIOS, does the problem remain?

I can't explain it either 😞
Attempting to load a different BIOS was one of the 1st things I attempted. But it looks like it's not possible to load older BIOS versions. When I try to load one, I get an error saying something like "Invalid BIOS image". The manual does say that rolling back BIOS isn't supported.
Do you have any suggestion how that can be done?

aaraujo
Level 7
You can flash an older BIOS version using the method and tools described here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1640394-ryzen-bios-mods-how-update-bios-correctl...
Just make sure that your CPU is supported by the older BIOS version. And ignore the part of that guide which refers to flashing a modded BIOS.

Ah this is great, thanks a lot for the suggestion and the link.
I've got a bit of a noob question though I think 🙂

I followed the steps on the post and launched the BIOS update to version 1201, but I'm getting the following message:

ROM file information does not match system BIOS
Do you continue to flash? [Y/N]

Is that expected when loading a different BIOS image? Or am I going to brick my motherboard if I continue?

Now that I think about it the AFI Update message is perfectly consistent with the error I'm seeing in EZ update when attempting to downgrade to version 1201.