cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X470 crosshair problems

Gcochennet
Level 7
I just got through building my new system. Even after reading all the bad reviews I went with the x470 Crosshair vii hero motherboard. I installed an amd 2700 with a noctua cooler and Gskill Trident 3200 ddr4 ram. Got everything up and installed windows. Updated my bios to the latest version which is 1201. In the bios it only lists my ram as 2133 so I changed it to 3200. The voltage is only listed as 1.20 volts and I have read in the forums that it needs to be raised to 1.35 volts to wotk correctly. The only way I have able to raise it is to enable the overclocking and there I can change the memory to 3200 and raise the voltage to 1.35. I have tried it t his way and with the optimized settings and I'm lucky if it will run 5 minutes without locking up. The code on the board always says 24. I tries loading the drivers on the supplied disk that came with the motherboard and also tried the drivers off the website. Nothing has worked. It's not overheating and every time I have checked the cpu is running at 38 degrees. I have read about all the problems with this motherboard but had hoped they were worked out by now. I don't know much about the bios settings so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have to go to work now so I will keep checking back. If I can't get this up and running in a few days I will send it back and try another brand of motherboard.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Make sure your memory kit is on the QVL. Even if it is, you may not reach 3200 with your CPU. With my particular memory kit on my MSI x470 board I can't even get stable at 3000 but I haven't done more than basic tuning.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

7ha7as1an
Level 7
Afternoon,

I'm currently working with this motherboard as well and have had multiple problems. Asus support seems lacking lately with AMD compared to other companies. Though nothing that would drive me insane yet. I've had to submit my motherboard in for troubleshooting before and received it back and currently have it up and running as desired. AMD 2700X is a decent overclocker compared to Intel's chips though they are still powerhouses.

How many sticks of ram are you running? I also ran into an issue with trying to run my Ram at advertised speeds. The ram kit I purchased was Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466MHz 32GB (4x8GB). With the updated 1201 Bios with the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 I was able to hit advertised speeds utilizing only 2 rams sticks out of the 4 (so 16GB total). Using all 4 sticks I'm able to hit 3200MHz @ 1.5v DRAM Voltage. Researching around it looks like 1.3v-1.5v is the safe area for overclocking ram voltages though I may be wrong.

Try finding where your Ram kit will run without touching the voltage and working up from there starting at 1.3v then bumping up your ram speed until it crashes, then bump the voltage up again by .05v until you're able to enter into windows. This was my method.

Q-Code 24 is normal and does not signify a problem.

I am running 2 sticks of 8 gb. They are on the approved list and actually came in a package deal from Newegg. I've tried the optimal settings which run the 3200 ram at 2133. I've also tried using the overclock and upping the voltage to 1.35 volts with no luck. I've even tried installing windows first on an m.2 ssd and then I took that out and tried a different ssd. It didn't matter. It won't even run long enough to install all the drivers on the setup disk from Asus. I can make it about 25 percent *before it freezes up. I don't know what to try next.

gupsterg
Level 13
@7ha7as1an

4x sticks at 3466MHz is big ask especially on Pinnacle Ridge, Summit Ridge was better for 4x dimms and C6H with T-Topology is much easer to use with 4x dimms than C7H with daisy chain.

@ Gcochennet

Have you set Ai Tuner mode to D.O.C.P?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

I tried d.o.c.p. And that didn't *help. Couldn't *get it to run more than about 5 minutes. I ended up dismantling the whole thing and a eon *it back to Newegg today for a replacement.i don't know if the motherboard might be bad or possibly the ram or cpu. I'll a different mother board, cpu and ram to see if that works. It might just be bios *settings but I can't figure out what needs to be changed. I wish someone would come out with some sort of list of things that need to be changed for *this *to stabilize. You would think these things would be fixed in the bios by now. This board has been out for awhile. If the *next setup won't run I might just send that back and try a different brand.

gupsterg
Level 13
Nothing wrong with C7H and TBH UEFI in whatever state it maybe considered isn't holding back HW.

I lost 2 threads at ~18.5hrs & 19.66hrs.

The setup was:-

2700X using PE: Default PBO: Enabled with BCLK OC to enhance further CPU frequency.

RAM was using a RAM divider of 3466MHz so with the BCLK it worked out 3598MHz.

Not shabby IMO.

Prior to the loss of threads at ~18hrs continuous load, in the ~15hrs screenie, CPU average MHz was 4.23GHz all cores, when loaded with P95 v28.10b, lighter loads it would be rocking higher frequency for sure 😉 .

I had my C7H since launch, CPU in below screenie topped out at 3466MHz for RAM, at the time I used manual OC and on air cooler.

Above is from UEFI in May 2018....
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video