cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 TPM Device Driver Errors

ationfictons
Level 10
Both my wife and I have Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (X570) motherboards (Asus BIOS 1302) with AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processors (AMD Chipset Software 2.04.28.626) that use the CPU's fTPM ability set up in the BIOS. Occasionally, in the Windows 10 Event Viewer, we both get Event ID 12 and 15 events about TPM Device Driver Errors (I'll include an example, below). At a guess, they might be happening upon waking from Sleep. My wife has also run into problems with her Windows 10 PIN when that happens and has to reboot to get it to work -- I'm assuming the PIN is using the TPM for validation. I have no idea where to report this, so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone else is seeing it.

Log Name: System
Source: TPM
Date: 6/19/2020 7:48:32 PM
Event ID: 12
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: N/A
Computer: WIN10-DAVE-X570
Description:
The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered an error in the TPM hardware, which might prevent some applications using TPM services from operating correctly. Please restart your computer to reset the TPM hardware. For further assistance on this hardware issue, please contact the computer manufacturer for more information.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000000

System
WIN10-DAVE-X570

0x1c000519

and

Log Name: System
Source: TPM
Date: 6/19/2020 7:48:32 PM
Event ID: 15
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: N/A
Computer: WIN10-DAVE-X570
Description:
The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used. For further help, please contact the computer manufacturer.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000000

System
WIN10-DAVE-X570

0x220003ac

2 REPLIES 2

ationfictons
Level 10
I guess I'll also ask if anyone knows the "proper" way to update the BIOS if fTPM is turned on. I don't use Bitlocker, so I don't have to disable that before a BIOS update. But, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 used the TPM for other things in Windows Security (Defender) and perhaps logging on with a Hello aspect (PIN). Should I reset that stuff before a BIOS update? Do I need to turn fTPM off in the BIOS before the update? I've just been flashing with it turned on. But, thinking about it, I'm wondering if fTPM on protects part of the BIOS during the update process and might mess things up.

Make sure you have installed the latest AMD chipset drivers (that is not the ones supplied by windows or the ones on ASUS website and yes they are older) The ones you need are from AMD, here https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

In regards to setup of TPM using BIOS, it is kinda related to the correct setup of your Nvme drive, so I have just given that detail and you can work it out, if you have got it set up correctly. Best way to check is to use HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ and If done correctly on the summary page towards bottom right, Operating System UEFI Boot will be in green and Secure Boot will be in green (either in grey means you have done something wrong.)

Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys <- this is the step that sets up BIOS TPM
11 – Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Generally it is really important to install Nvme exactly as described above. If you ever have windows 10 issues or decide to dual boot your system and for example have skip step 1, you will find just how annoying windows 10 boot loader can be etc and for each point there is reason why you should do it this way.

Hope you find this of help.