cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PBO in Bios for Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

jincuteguy
Level 7
HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?
14 REPLIES 14

BillBittel
Level 12
Hey Silent Scone@ROG - Since you are chiming in here, can you clarify which set of PBO controls in the BIOS we should use? In this thread, MilkySunshine says use the AMD overclocking section and set everything in Extreme Overclocking section to Auto. Then jincuteguy says AMD Ryzen Master only reacts to values set in the Extreme Overclocking section. So which one should we use, and what settings should the identical items in the other section be set to (Auto?).

More generally, why does the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Bios have PBO and other overclocking settings in more than one place? Which ones take precedence?

Thanks!

BillBittel wrote:
Hey Silent Scone@ROG - Since you are chiming in here, can you clarify which set of PBO controls in the BIOS we should use? In this thread, MilkySunshine says use the AMD overclocking section and set everything in Extreme Overclocking section to Auto. Then jincuteguy says AMD Ryzen Master only reacts to values set in the Extreme Overclocking section. So which one should we use, and what settings should the identical items in the other section be set to (Auto?).

More generally, why does the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Bios have PBO and other overclocking settings in more than one place? Which ones take precedence?

Thanks!

Yea the PPT, TDC, and EDC values only work with Amd Ryzen Master are the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section. I dont know why the ones in the AMD section don't work.

jincuteguy wrote:
Yea the PPT, TDC, and EDC values only work with Amd Ryzen Master are the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section. I dont know why the ones in the AMD section don't work.

Ryzen master uses the ones in the extreme overclock section as the maximum possible settings. The ones in the AMD section DO work, they apply, and that can be verified with HWiNFO64 before even opening ryzen master.

My suggestion to use the AMD ones from WEEKS of testing PBO curve offset, as well as all other pbo settings. I found the extreme overclock section would provide very unreliable, and often unpredictable results.

After upgrading to the latest bios, I tried setting all settings in extreme overclock section ONLY. I would get random BSODs, and fail prime95 at 720k. Clearing cmos, and setting those SAME EXACT SETTINGS in amd overclocking sections yields a completely stable system, with better benchmarks, while easily passing prime95.

So yeah, as always, YMMV, and maybe I have a fluked board or something, but those were my results. My best suggestion is try for yourself. Only caveat is, use one or the other, not both.

BillBittel wrote:

Thanks!

Use the ones under the Extreme Tweaker menu.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Kelutrel
Level 11
I have a C8F, currently on BIOS 3801. I also found on my mb that the PBO under AMD overclock settings are more reliable than the same in the Extreme Tweaker menu.
The two settings pages also result in different benchmark scores, with the one in the AMD overclock settings usually providing slightly higher scores even using the exact same values.

It is obvious that they are somehow different and act differently.

Silent Scone, or anyone that has this lower-level knowledge, is there any way to shed some light over these different behaviours, please ? In which way are these settings pages different and why and when should we use one or the other ?