cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Memory Configuation to go with for A Crosshair VI Hero?

TechyInAZ
Level 7
So I think for my birthday I might upgrade my current 3200mhz 16GB of RAM to a 32GB kit of Neo memory.

However, I'm not sure what the best config for memory would be for the Corsshair VI hero, due to it's T-Topology setup, so i have a few questions:

1. What would be better, two dual rank dimms or four single rank dimms? Does the T-Topology setup prefer 4 DIMMs single rank over 2 dual rank?

2. What is a good frequency to buy? I'm thinking 3200mhz, as I've heard X370 boards really don't fully support speeds like 3600.

I just got a Ryzen 5 3600, so CPU compatibility for RAM is good.
3 REPLIES 3

Celty2
Level 7
As I understand it, single rank is preferable, but others may shed more light on it. If you are moving to a Zen 2 CPU, you are misunderstanding the memory capabilities with a X370 board.

I run a Crosshair VI Hero with a 3900X, and am currently at 3733 MHz, and still exploring 3800 MHz as a possible good option. The key is tuning timings and matching FCLK speed to get the best performance. Memory optimizing is important with Zen 2.

Celty2 wrote:
As I understand it, single rank is preferable, but others may shed more light on it. If you are moving to a Zen 2 CPU, you are misunderstanding the memory capabilities with a X370 board.

I run a Crosshair VI Hero with a 3900X, and am currently at 3733 MHz, and still exploring 3800 MHz as a possible good option. The key is tuning timings and matching FCLK speed to get the best performance. Memory optimizing is important with Zen 2.

From what I have seen to date and this may change with bios you might be better off staying DDR@ 3600, as all core overclock becomes effected (lower) as you approach 1:1 divide @3800. ie: You will find better scores and gaming DDR @ 3600 than @3733 or @3800.

Richard_Dower wrote:
It's my understanding two sticks are better then four.

Agree

Richard_Dower
Level 9
I decided on a 16x2 kit...so 32GB, dual channel in A2 and B2. I then bought the Corsair RGB light enhancement kit, so all four slots are populated.

It's my understanding two sticks are better then four.