cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty void with watercooling monoblock?

SexyTerrorisT
Level 9
Hello first post!

Jump to last line if TL;DR

I am an old Asus and ROG fan. Been rocking asus boards since the P4C800-E Deluxe back in the Northwood Pentium days.
I am posting from my X48 Rampage Formula with a watercooled Q9650 oc to 3.84 Ghz with ocz 4x2bGB 1066 Mhz 5-5-5-15 DDR2 and GTX680.
This board has survived a serious leak : cpu waterblock leaked and dripped on northbridge and PCI slot! The P4C800 did not a minor one 😛
TIme to retire my RAMPAGE!

As you can tell i am a hardened watercooling overclocking nut!! I have now purchased my next ultimate build to last me a bunch of years.
The Crosshair VI Hero,
1800X,
4x8 gskill 3200 14-14-14-36-2N RGB kit (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR),
960 Pro NVME,
EVGA 1060 SC,
Seasonic 850 Prime Titanium
I am still on 1080p 120Hz; waiting for proper 4k monitors @ 120+Hz with cards that can drives those frames). And an 60 cm rgb led strip :cool:
I have also splashed around 1k for top of the line EK watercooling equipment.(Sorry to betray you koolance but u need more sexy blocks)
All those will be shoved in a Obsidian 750D airflow edition with ton of fans.

1 last part remains. The dilemma is between a regular cpu waterblock or a full monoblock to also cool the VRMs. Will the Crosshair VI hero warranty be void if i install a monoblock?

Thank you in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Nice to see so much feedback in this thread.!

Number one factor in cooling performance is radiator surface then fan speed then comes flow rate. Above a certain threshold pump speed gains are really small to barely measurable. The more parts you are cooling in the system the more this is going to be important.

Ideally you'll want to have water move as fast as possible through the waterblocks and as slow as possible in the radiators. Heat water the less possible and cool it as much as possible. Running your radiators in parallel is a great way to achieve this but global flow rate does take a considerable hit this way.

High flow rate in a system means parts getting cooled 2nd or 3rd will get water closer to ambient temp. Water should never rise above 40 C in any system. If it reaches 50C its time to shut down.

Water temp should be as close as possible to ambient temp. Big delta between cpu temps and water temps means heat transfer is not good. Water calorific capacity wont change with flow rate. You'll want each water molecules to absorb as much as heat as possible as fast as possible and getting away of the heat source pronto!

Copper has best heat conductivity but is usually plated with nickel to avoid tarnish. Avoid mixing metals especially copper and aluminum!!

I think the heatpipes on the Crosshair's VRM with the aztec design look really nice too. VRM are already above spec and the cooling they have should probly be adequate for even pushing extreme voltages for LN2 cooling. I don't think i'll be killing my flow rate and voiding my warranty for just for cooling the VRMs a bit more.

I'll get some pictures up when I test the system a week on air and add later on the watercooling parts. My ram is out of stock and delaying the whole build.

Zka17
Level 16
Thank you, JustiThyme - it is greatly appreciated!

Yes, I know the literature about the flow thing... however I never experienced it on my systems... - but I start getting it now... it has to do with the radiator surface too...
I guess, I just always had excess radiator estate...
I was keeping my D5 varios at the 2nd speed because of noise considerations... then kept my coolant temp not more than 5C above the ambient... but again, with way bigger rads than you could buid in a case... 🙂

I will certainly play around with the flow! :cool: