cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VII WiFi 3200mhz+ only working in slot A2/B2?

Ferio123
Level 7
So,

I finally figured out why I couldnt run above 3200mhz. I had the 3200C14D from G skill first installed in A1/B1 and couldn't get above 3066 no matter what I tried. I then read a reply on a Asus Maximus board where one said to use A2/B2 as that one did worked for him and got his memory at 3200 and higher. I tried it with mine and Voila , working perfect.

Is this supposed to be?

I never had a motherboard before that could only run above 3066 in slot A2/B2

So is this a faulty motherboard? Bios error? or intended?
5 REPLIES 5

Richard_Dower
Level 9
If you had read the manual you would know Asus recommended using A2 and B2 if you have two ram sticks.

andyliu
Level 9
it's not faulty, it's how it works due to how memory path being mapped out.

A2 B2 provides the best signal strength for memory when you use 2 dimms

it is also clear stated in the instruction as well and it's the same for all motherboard vendor.

When it comes to reading instructions, manuals or guides ask yourself why you aren’t doing it.

Yeah A2/B2 have a higher quality connection to the CPU. This is pretty common in almost all AM4 boards (even Intel ones too), except some like the X370 Hero which runs a T-Topology setup designed to OC 4 DIMMs.

While the other newer AM4 Heros run regular tracing like all other boards.

Frostie36
Level 7
Is that the flare x kit you're using? I'm running 4 sticks, not a matched set but 2x16gb kits that I brought months apart & they've worked at the rated 3200mhz from day one, first with just the 2 sticks in & then after adding the second pair of sticks on the Ch7 wifi.