cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading from CH6 to CH7

syldon
Level 9
I am interested in opinions on the benefits of upgrading to the CH7 from the CH6. I have followed the OCers forum posts. People discuss fixes and problems of the board, but no one has yet made an early opinion of the benefits to the upgrade. I am well aware any upgrades will be minor, and very much just throwing cash at a toy.

I bought the board when it was originally released. Unfortunately, it was a dud that could not get past qcode error 8. I had an 1800x and an 2700x to test on it, along with enough savvy from the last years ownership of the CH6 to know it was a knacker. It has since been RMAed and refunded.

I know the CH7 will have lower VRM temps. I am hoping this migrates to better OCing on both CPU and memory. This is probably what I am after most. A back to back comparison from someone who owned a CH6 prior to the CH7.

I can see the board isn't any easier to set up than the CH6 was from posts I have read. The CH7 also has some of the same issues (pci lane allocation failings etc). I have enjoyed the fight with the CH6 over the last year, sadistic as that may sound. RL has stopped me gaming till I finish work maybe later this year. OCing is an easier pastime, and the PC does the work for you 🙂

ATM I have the 2700x in the CH6. It is far from stable. I am waiting for the next revision release, hopefully it is better than 6101. But at least the memory is back to 3466. It fails on stability testing, but hasn't crashed on me yet. So I will leave it as is until the next release.

I have no doubt that I will buy the CH7 again in a month's time, and probably regardless of what is posted here. But it would be nice to have an expectation of what to expect in difference. I am going to wait a month, I want to let the second wave of stock to come in, with hopefully no teething issue.

15 REPLIES 15

Syaoran wrote:
Damnit! Now I want to hold off on buying a new board! 😛

There really is no reason to upgrade if you have a CH6:cool:

syldon wrote:
There really is no reason to upgrade if you have a CH6:cool:

Perhaps, but with Z490, I plan on switching manufactures to get a few things the Crosshair VI Hero lacks. I was really close to buying the Gigabyte X470 Gaming 5 but they have been sold out here over priced the odd place I can find them. I figured I would wait until I come back to Canada after the summer to swap out the board and by then, Gigabyte should have their Z490 option available.
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
Perhaps, but with Z490, I plan on switching manufactures to get a few things the Crosshair VI Hero lacks. I was really close to buying the Gigabyte X470 Gaming 5 but they have been sold out here over priced the odd place I can find them. I figured I would wait until I come back to Canada after the summer to swap out the board and by then, Gigabyte should have their Z490 option available.

Sorry couldn't help myself

@gupsterg

Thanks for the back to back comparison. I ran aida64 on a stability run just to push the temps up on this board. Vrms are idling at 33 and never go above 45c no matter what the CPU hits. I hit 83c on the CPU with PE4 and still only 45C. I set all to CPU speed to default, vcore (1.33v) and LLC5. and then left aida for a few mins to pump some temp into the CPU. Still only 45c. I measured with a thermometer. The sensor reads correct in HWinfo.

I ordered another CH7. I will look at the 490 if it arrives according to the rumours. I will do the same run again and grab a screenie for back to back with same kit attached to the board.

Cheers for the replies.

Rares
Level 7
@syldon:

Rock stable means that I ran Prime95 for 8hrs combined with Furmark burn test without errors, resets, shutdowns etc.

gupsterg
Level 13
Not apples to apples, R7 1800X on PState 0 OC of 4.0GHz on C6H comparison of HWINFO to R7 2700X Stock on C7H.

ProbeIt points work well, except due to my C7H being an early batch the 1.05V SB reads ~+50mV on ProbeIt/SW monitoring. See post by Elmor linked here. As I was unaware of this fact, in below image the C7H has 1.05V SB undervolted, but reads back as ~1.05V.

As I'm using same case, cooling, fan profile, similar room temps. I'd say ball park ~10% improved temps on VRM based on temperature sensor reading, as to where and if the temperature sensor location differs between each I have no idea.

Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Maverick009
Level 9
syldon wrote:
I am interested in opinions on the benefits of upgrading to the CH7 from the CH6. I have followed the OCers forum posts. People discuss fixes and problems of the board, but no one has yet made an early opinion of the benefits to the upgrade. I am well aware any upgrades will be minor, and very much just throwing cash at a toy.

I bought the board when it was originally released. Unfortunately, it was a dud that could not get past qcode error 8. I had an 1800x and an 2700x to test on it, along with enough savvy from the last years ownership of the CH6 to know it was a knacker. It has since been RMAed and refunded.

I know the CH7 will have lower VRM temps. I am hoping this migrates to better OCing on both CPU and memory. This is probably what I am after most. A back to back comparison from someone who owned a CH6 prior to the CH7.

I can see the board isn't any easier to set up than the CH6 was from posts I have read. The CH7 also has some of the same issues (pci lane allocation failings etc). I have enjoyed the fight with the CH6 over the last year, sadistic as that may sound. RL has stopped me gaming till I finish work maybe later this year. OCing is an easier pastime, and the PC does the work for you 🙂

ATM I have the 2700x in the CH6. It is far from stable. I am waiting for the next revision release, hopefully it is better than 6101. But at least the memory is back to 3466. It fails on stability testing, but hasn't crashed on me yet. So I will leave it as is until the next release.

I have no doubt that I will buy the CH7 again in a month's time, and probably regardless of what is posted here. But it would be nice to have an expectation of what to expect in difference. I am going to wait a month, I want to let the second wave of stock to come in, with hopefully no teething issue.

I would say there is no need to upgrade from the C6H to the C7H as there is no real tangible benefits, other than StoreMI or the additional M.2 slot. I have the Crosshair VI Extreme, with a Ryzen 1700 OC to a cool 3.45Ghz and Corsair Vengeance RGB memory OC to DDR4-3200 16-16-16-36 timings and to move to the C7H board, I cannot justify it, unless like everyone else said, you have money to burn. The C6E with Bios 6101, pretty much gives all the same features of the C7H, especially the stealth mode, to turn off the start/reset/QCode buttons/lights and allows my RGB lightening to now excel and the OC stability is now good. IMO, I would wait it out and when really ready to upgrade, go the Ryzen Threadripper. That is my eventual plan once the 3rd Gen (Zen2 core) processors arrive next year and than I will go to Quad Channel memory and get enough compelling reasons to upgrade, but the C6H/E to C7H is not compelling enough of a reason.