cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) memory error with four sticks RAM

kja939
Level 7
Hi all,

I have a TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) which I'm having an odd issue with. The board won't post with four sticks of CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro (4 x 16GB, DDR4 3600). I checked each stick individually and they're all good, and the same with each memory slot. It'll post with any two sticks in any configuration, any 3 sticks in any configuration, but not 4. The yellow memory light will stay light up until I shut they system down.

I did some research and found some references to bent CPU pins and a tight CPU cooler, so I checked those things and didn't see anything amiss. I also found some forum posts referencing making changes to SOC and DRAM voltage. I tried to adjust those things a bit, but still wasn't able to get the system to post. Adjusting voltages is a bit new to me, so I may have been a little gun-shy. I also tried to turn on DOHC, but that didn't cause any change either.

I have my fingers crossed that someone on here holds the magic key to help me get my system running on all gears! Please see the attached CPU-Z screen captures for system information, and thanks for the time!

8 REPLIES 8

kja939
Level 7
Please let me know if there is a better topic area of this post and if I'm missing some helpful info. I'm new to the forum. 🙂

Nate152
Hi kja939

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Setting Command rate to 2T or 2N might get you to post.

Command rate is found in the Dram Timing Control section of the bios under primary timings.

Odd it's not showing the Dram Frequency.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi kja939

Command rate is found in the Dram Timing Control section of the bios under primary timings.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I haven't tried modifying that yet.

Yeah, I've had odd experience with the frequency showing correctly. They're all 3600 chips, but in my bios they'll read as different values (2333, or there about). However, when I set the frequency in the bios, it will show as that value in Windows (ie Task Manager).

kja939 wrote:
Yeah, I've had odd experience with the frequency showing correctly. They're all 3600 chips, but in my bios they'll read as different values (2333, or there about). However, when I set the frequency in the bios, it will show as that value in Windows (ie Task Manager).

The chips themselves will actually be somewhere in the 2133-2666 MHz range, which is likely what you are seeing. That's the JEDEC SPD speed for them, and the rated speed of them off the silicon manufacturing line. DDR4-3600 is almost always an overclock speed, from the XMP/DOCP profile on the module. You can't buy 3600 non-overclock in DDR4.

The premium/enthusiast/gaming memory vendors buy up the best performing chips from manufacturing and test them to see how far they can push the clock above spec, then sell them to you as an overclockable module, with the XMP/DOCP profile added. The modules retain the original slower speed in the JEDEC SPD profile, and will default to that. Enabling the OC profile doesn't change the SPD profile, and some utilities will report that info.

Murph_9000 wrote:
The chips themselves will actually be somewhere in the 2133-2666 MHz range, which is likely what you are seeing. That's the JEDEC SPD speed for them, and the rated speed of them off the silicon manufacturing line. DDR4-3600 is almost always an overclock speed, from the XMP/DOCP profile on the module. You can't buy 3600 non-overclock in DDR4.

The premium/enthusiast/gaming memory vendors buy up the best performing chips from manufacturing and test them to see how far they can push the clock above spec, then sell them to you as an overclockable module, with the XMP/DOCP profile added. The modules retain the original slower speed in the JEDEC SPD profile, and will default to that. Enabling the OC profile doesn't change the SPD profile, and some utilities will report that info.

Thanks for clarifying that! I have been running them on the D.O.H.C profile, so they show as 3600 in windows. Interesting that I see two chips at one JEDEC speed, and one at another when they're the same CORSAIR model. I did buy them as two different 2x16GB packages, so I suppose it's possible that they're based on different batches of chips with different JEDEC speeds.

Still soliciting ideas from those more knowledgeable than myself on how I can get my system to post with all four sticks of RAM. :D:D:D

Nate152 wrote:
Hi kja939

No luck posting with that change (w/ all four sticks. Still posts with 3).

Changed "Cmd2T" from "Auto" to "2T", under the DRAM Timing Control section of the Ai Tweaker.

Any other suggestions?

Nate152