cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total confusion with Crosshair VI Extreme drivers

Riekopo
Level 9
I have an Asus Crosshair VI Extreme mobo and I just clean installed my Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I'm going down the drivers list on the Asus product page and got to the 'Utilities' section. Which is very confusing and poorly laid out and explained. I don't want to install all the random crap that I will never use. But I do want the latest AI Suite software. However, I'm not sure which file that is.

It looks like the latest AI Suite might be AI Suite 3 and is listed as version 3.00.13 dated to Jan 16, 2018. It also seems to suggest that it includes 'Dual Intelligent Processors 5 v1.05.13'. (When I download and start to install this file it shows only Dual Intelligent Processors in the list, there is no AI Suite 3)

Three spots above the AI Suite file there is a newer Dual Intelligent Processors version listed. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to install that after/on top of AI Suite 3 or what. ??? (When I download and start to install this file it shows only Dual Intelligent Processors in the list, there is no AI Suite 3)

I'm not sure if I need to installed the 'AMD Raid Configuration Driver' listed in the Utilities section or not.

There's a 'SATA' section which has one RAID driver listed. I'm not sure if I need that or not.

There's two drivers in the 'USB' section. Not sure if I should install both or not.

In the 'Utilities' section there are files listed as "Lighting Control" and files listed as "Aura" and "Asus Aura" Are these the same thing or what?

At the top of the 'Utilities' section there is a file called "EZUpdate 2.03.17". It also says it includes AI Suite 3 v3.00.16 which is the newest that I can find. However, when I download and start to install this file it only lists EZ Update, there is no AI Suite 3.

It also seems like the chipset driver they have listed is from February 24 this year which would make it really out of date. When I was looking for a newer version of the chipset driver on the AMD website it's showing a chipset driver available from Sept 4th 2018. There are also a bunch of RAID drivers there, but I don't know if I need them. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chips...ocket-am4/x370

Asus does an incredibly poor job at laying these drivers out in a clear and understandable. It shouldn't be this confusing.

Edit: When I went to install the chipset driver from the AMD website this happened. I don't know what this means. https://imgur.com/a/b4iPaeJ

Edit 2: When I click the left side it says this and when I click the right side it says this. https://imgur.com/a/rDz8yg2

Edit 3: When I click custom install on the right side it shows these options. Should I be installing the 'Balanced Power Plan'? I thought Windows had integrated this already a while ago? https://imgur.com/a/O1SQHEZ

Edit 5: I cannot figure out how to install AI Suite 3. Every file I download ends up being just "EZ Update" or "Dual Intelligent Processors 5". Where is the latest AI Suite 3 file for my motherboard and Windows 10 Home 64 bit? This is such an unbelievable mess. It's like Asus intentionally makes it as confusing as possible. Why is everything crammed into the 'Utilities' section in a jumbled mess?
7 REPLIES 7

SaLSouL
Level 10
I would not install it in its current state for the C6E, You will have so much grief trying to get it to work. it may work at first but borks itself eventually.

If you really want to install it

Here is some instructions to help you from a previous post i did

Currently there is not one package that is upto date.

there are 4 versions for my board. C6E

AIsute3 2.0.0.19 and DIP 5 1.04.59 original and needed as other installers only update dip5 first one to install
AISUite3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.13 DIP5 update only 2nd
AIsuite 3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.14 DIP5 update only 3rd
AISuite3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.19 latest version.......DIP 5 update only. 4th
AISUITE /EZ Update 3.0.16 Lastest version

They have to be installed in that order and reboot after each install before commencing.

They are all available on the MB page

If you didnt setup raid at windows instal then your not in raid, you have to load drivers before windows will see your disks, the driver for raid is {STOREPORT} the driver for SATA is AHCI controller. if windows just installed your in AHCI mode. which mean you just need the [CHIPSET DRIVER]
For the chipset download the latest from AMD directly https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370

Good Luck

It's truly unbelievable that there is not one single up-to-date package for this stuff. What a disgrace. I spend almost $400 on a motherboard and this is how they support it...ugh. I've already installed everything and I didn't do it in that order. It seems to be working as far as I can tell. I don't see where you're getting "DIP 5 1.05.19" from. I don't see that anywhere.

It's pretty ridiculous that you have to dig through a bunch of random files in an obscure 'Utilities' section to update your drivers for these expensive motherboards. It should be one file that you download and allows you to choose which modules you wish to install. And then they should all update themselves automatically or ask you to update them manually.

I don't understand what you're saying regarding the RAID drivers. I haven't installed any from the Asus website or the official AMD website. I did install the latest chipset driver from the AMD website though which is 18.10.0830. It's weird that the AMD website says the latest RAID driver is 9.2.0.70 whereas the Asus website says the latest RAID driver (in the SATA section) is 9.2.0.9.

The drivers on the Asus website generally seem out-of-date. Which makes things confusing.

Riekopo wrote:
It's truly unbelievable that there is not one single up-to-date package for this stuff. What a disgrace. I spend almost $400 on a motherboard and this is how they support it...ugh. I've already installed everything and I didn't do it in that order. It seems to be working as far as I can tell. I don't see where you're getting "DIP 5 1.05.19" from. I don't see that anywhere.

Sorry thats my fault it is from an Asus started thread here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800-AI-Suite-3-Version-3-00-10-amp-3-00-13-user-test-rep...

Riekopo wrote:
It's pretty ridiculous that you have to dig through a bunch of random files in an obscure 'Utilities' section to update your drivers for these expensive motherboards. It should be one file that you download and allows you to choose which modules you wish to install. And then they should all update themselves automatically or ask you to update them manually.

I agree - welcome to Asus

Riekopo wrote:
I don't understand what you're saying regarding the RAID drivers. I haven't installed any from the Asus website or the official AMD website. I did install the latest chipset driver from the AMD website though which is 18.10.0830. It's weird that the AMD website says the latest RAID driver is 9.2.0.70 whereas the Asus website says the latest RAID driver (in the SATA section) is 9.2.0.9.

dont worry you have the latest chipset driver installed thats all good.

If you want to know about RAID
Redundant Array Independant Disks is where you create a single logical disk out of 2 or more phsyical disks to increase performance for some scenarios.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Riekopo wrote:
The drivers on the Asus website generally seem out-of-date. Which makes things confusing.

Rule of thumb is you go straight to manufactuers website for lastest drivers not MB manufacturer, this goes for all MB manufacturers
So for example you have a Realtek soundcard, get the drivers from realtek not asus, you have an intel gigabyte LAN again use intels drivers not MB, etc. AS you know already ASUS is not so quick at updating anything.

SaLSouL wrote:

there are 4 versions for my board. C6E

AIsute3 2.0.0.19 and DIP 5 1.04.59 original and needed as other installers only update dip5 first one to install
AISUite3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.13 DIP5 update only 2nd
AIsuite 3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.14 DIP5 update only 3rd
AISuite3 3.0.13 and DIP 5 1.05.19 latest version.......DIP 5 update only. 4th
AISUITE /EZ Update 3.0.16 Lastest version

Thank you very much! I was looking for a complete package also and found your Information in this thread...so this are the steps for installing AI Suite and drivers on VI Hero Mainboard, right?

SirRobin wrote:
Thank you very much! I was looking for a complete package also and found your Information in this thread...so this are the steps for installing AI Suite and drivers on VI Hero Mainboard, right?

I think for the hero there are a few earlier versions than the CHVIE. Yes to get it to work you have to install in that order

This is from your MB support page https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

here are your versions

Version 1.01.72 initial release and full of bugs >>> id skip

Version 2.00.03 >>> i would start here.
Version 3.00.13 >>> then this one
Version 1.05.14 >>> this one
Ai Suite 3.00.13 >>> this is from another thread (ASUS) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800-AI-Suite-3-Version-3-00-10-amp-3-00-13-user-test-rep...
FIrst post of thread by @Raja

Version 2.03.17 >>> this one

Now your upto date.

Good Luck

Riekopo
Level 9
I wonder why there's a newer version of Dual Intelligent Processors 5 from that thread from January (v1.05.19). And there's an older version on the Asus website from February (v1.05.14). Doesn't make sense to me. Is it safe to install the file from the thread? Are there any issues with it?

it was a beta version (test & report) and you prob dont need it.