cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dreaded Q-code 55

AndehX
Level 7
So, 5 months on, and this issue still plagues me. Is there any detailed information about what exactly this Q-code means?
I cannot cold boot my computer in the morning (after it's been off all night) without this damn q-code 55 repeating itself 20+ times. I have tried literally everything to fix it, but nothing even remotely makes a difference.

What exactly does this q-code mean? What is it referencing? What is different between turning my computer on in the morning vs restarting during the middle of the day? (besides the fact it's had time to physically warm up)

There must be a solution to this surely?
11 REPLIES 11

Federicoz45
Level 7
Hi there, I'm having a kind of issue like you...kind of. Code 55 according to manual refers to 'Memory not installed'.
This motherboard, no matter which bios you got, seems to be really uncompromising with drams that are not on their whql list.
And yours, like mine are not on that list. Others threads regarding dram here are usually g.skill related and not about error codes, but speed higher than 3200 or so.
I have teamgroup nighthawk rgb 3200, and with both sticks installed there is no way to boot, still code 4F. it comes just after yours.
I believe that we bought the wrong dram package for the hero, sadly. Planning to buy g.skill and sell the team....

nightstrike
Level 7
I get 55 all the time, too, using memory that's on the list.

AndehX
Level 7
im using G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz running at 3333mhz

AndehX wrote:
im using G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz running at 3333mhz

The AMD platform still has issues cold BOOTing memory for some users, and it's usually more troublesome at higher memory speeds. Some of the latest UEFI builds try to get around this in two stages, but it doesn't help in all scenarios. Some users have managed to tune their system to get alleviate it, too. Contributing factors ProcODT, RZQ, and drive strengths. The automated training routines for the platform are still somewhat raw. I don't know if we'll ever get a 100% cure to this as it's system specific (memory, CPU, and board dependant).

AndehX
Level 7
Yeah I understand although even when my UEFI is at defaults, I still see this q-code 55 from time to time. Also, what do you mean by drive strengths?
Also what exactly is ProcODT? I noticed it's measured in ohms, which is resistance. Maybe if I adjusted that it might help?

AndehX wrote:
Yeah I understand although even when my UEFI is at defaults, I still see this q-code 55 from time to time. Also, what do you mean by drive strengths?
Also what exactly is ProcODT? I noticed it's measured in ohms, which is resistance. Maybe if I adjusted that it might help?

There are temperature related POST issues for the IMC, too. The drive strength settings are in the AMD CBS menu. ProcODT sets termination values for the signal lines. Complex, but yes, if that is set to the correct value (as well as the other settings I outlined), it can help with POST. We've given you PrcoODT in the DRAM timing page as well as the RZQ values. What we've got access to isn't that intuitive for the layman, but it can help if you put some time into it.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There are temperature related POST issues for the IMC, too. The drive strength settings are in the AMD CBS menu. ProcODT sets termination values for the signal lines. Complex, but yes, if that is set to the correct value (as well as the other settings I outlined), it can help with POST. We've given you PrcoODT in the DRAM timing page as well as the RZQ values. What we've got access to isn't that intuitive for the layman, but it can help if you put some time into it.

Beside the higher frequencies issues, and all this hi-pro settings that I do not know so much, I still get a q-code 4F without even reach the bios at standard spd values (2133). I can only boot with one memory stick, I can use both of them as single, but toghether installed (a2-b2), crap. 4F and 6 beeps. Please give me some advice.

Raja
Level 13
The advice is to tune the settings I mentioned and or use slacker memory sub-timings. Can't tune your system for you.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The advice is to tune the settings I mentioned and or use slacker memory sub-timings. Can't tune your system for you.

Ill be really dissapointed if these sticks ive been running fine since october 7th just suddenly wont work anymore. Trident rgb 3200 cl14 have been running perfect for weeks, now i cant get it to post at all, with any of the sticks i have. Codes 36, 55, and occasionally 6 beeps with 4f. Ive cleared cmos, reverted to 804 bios, and still nothing. Im at a loss. Ive reseated the cpu several times, memory too. Tried each stick individually, and in each separate slot. Safe mode is no help either 😞 id loosen the timings, but i cant even get to UEFI....