cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature Sensors failing/ Fans on Max speed problem

marblesrx7
Level 7
Just wanted to start a thread and see how many other people are having this same issue. Basically the conditions are as follows:

Just using the PC as normal and the I hear all the Case Fans Max out! If i check any monitoring software it states that the motherboard temp sensor is reading -109C. Also all other temps(CPU, CPU DIODE, CHIPSET, and VRM) stop responding to change in CPU load. A quick restart fixes the problem but it is very annoying. It happens on a daily basis. I have not figured out what is causing this.

I have seen similar posts on the forum but have yet to see a solution.Figured if we could compile everyone that is having this problem on a single thread it would help and maybe @asus has something in the works for this.
44 REPLIES 44

Waxinator
Level 7
After mounting a fan cooling "The Super I/O ITE IT8665E" chip ( located under the back plastic cover, in line with the battery cell ), I have had no more minus-temperatures nor speeding fans. I have run with all of the suspected apps for two weeks and had no problems for a month. 🙂

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
marblesrx7 wrote:
Just wanted to start a thread and see how many other people are having this same issue. Basically the conditions are as follows:

Just using the PC as normal and the I hear all the Case Fans Max out! If i check any monitoring software it states that the motherboard temp sensor is reading -109C. Also all other temps(CPU, CPU DIODE, CHIPSET, and VRM) stop responding to change in CPU load. A quick restart fixes the problem but it is very annoying. It happens on a daily basis. I have not figured out what is causing this.

I have seen similar posts on the forum but have yet to see a solution.Figured if we could compile everyone that is having this problem on a single thread it would help and maybe @ASUS has something in the works for this.

This is a common problem of the "x" chips. Probably has nothing to do with the mobo. There is tons of info on this problem from the "x" Ryzen chips if you google.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
This is a common problem of the "x" chips. Probably has nothing to do with the mobo. There is tons of info on this problem from the "x" Ryzen chips if you google.

that's a myth. its the mobo. other boards work fine with x series chips. buddy has a 1600x build on a msi b350 board and has 0 issues with temps or oc.

my board (this one) and 1800x have been RMA'd already once with occasional reoccurring temp errors. I get BSOD in games regularly from overheat and it wont let me restart until it sets for a while and cools down. I am at stock speeds on an h100i... every bios update to date has not solved the temp spikes problem.

just checked today and saw my 1800x at stock speeds idleing go from 50C to 68C back and forth in corsair link software. cycling the fans up and down.

the issues with this board are incredable

vogner16 wrote:
that's a myth. its the mobo. other boards work fine with x series chips. buddy has a 1600x build on a msi b350 board and has 0 issues with temps or oc.

my board (this one) and 1800x have been RMA'd already once with occasional reoccurring temp errors. I get BSOD in games regularly from overheat and it wont let me restart until it sets for a while and cools down. I am at stock speeds on an h100i... every bios update to date has not solved the temp spikes problem.

just checked today and saw my 1800x at stock speeds idleing go from 50C to 68C back and forth in corsair link software. cycling the fans up and down.

the issues with this board are incredable

I dont know how accurate the temp reading is. if it's 50c with ryzen master @ stock, I think you wanna check few thing first.
idle with 50c @ stock sounds more like AIO/CPU issue than motherboard issue. (my corsair h105 keep my 3.9 O.C 1700x at 63c after an hour realbench)
I dont have experience with corsair link software (not available with my h105 ;p), but I would assume it's capable checking pump status.
it sounds like the pump isn't moving water and it gradually overheat.

if the pump is running and moving water, well gotta make sure the cooler is making proper contact with CPU.
I will quote from the article http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-heatsink-problem,33771.html
We’ve discovered that the backplates provided with some major motherboard brands could come with a screw that is too long. The screws reach their safety stop too soon, leaving the spring with too much headroom, and then the pressure of the sink on the CPU is inadequate.

Since there are 2 different version of h100i and I dont know which one you use, here is the link for am4 retention bracket.
go check if you need it.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers
Promo code: CORSAIRAM4BR
I assume it's still free to obtain, if not, try to contact corsair.

But ya, I actually waited till I received my bracket before I build my system with c6h, and I dont really have issue with the overheating like some other ppl experiencing with corsair AIO. Hopefully you can solve your problem with either suggestion. GL

Here!

It seems, i have a very similiar problem too.

Hi guys,

see my post here.
looks like i'm experiencing the exact same thing. As long as i ONLY use MSI afterburner for temp readings, nothing happens. As sson as i use ANY OTHER software to read my sensors, everything gets screwed up randomly.

KEyBAD
Level 7
I have same problem. on Ryzen 1700, from BIOS 3008 to 6001. IO Skew auto or disabled (tried both). Idle 50 C @ stock on BOX Wraith cooler.
Sometimes fan maxed out to 100% until reboot.
Sometimes fan keeps 1000 rpm even after 70+ С until reboot.
Sometimes on idle vcore go to 1.4v and temps to 63+ C, and fast back to ~50 C.
Sometimes SoC voltages goes up to 1.4v constant until reboot.
Sometimes all ok until reboot.
* Reboot = manual rebooting.

Monitoring with AIDA64 and Ryzen Master.

After AiSuite 3 / DIPS 5 and their rpm control i can fix that, but have BSODs.
Strange voltages reading (0.8v where must be 1.8v) and "below zero" temps occures.
So i uninstalled ASUS software, buggy non-functional whistles and bells no more.
Restart & wait & get over it - it is my way.

Today i get my new Crosshair 6 ... After 6 hrs running the CPU Temps Stucked and one of my Fans runs @ 100% ... Its Time for an Gigabyte Board!

Well, i think, after 14 Years of ASUS, its Time to Change.

An 231€ (285 USD) MoBo should work much Better!

aaraujo
Level 7
I acquired an ASUS X470-I motherboard along an AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU late May 2018. I have had similar issues as the ones reported here. I have read the whole thread, and followed some of the suggestions but without success. In my case using an additional fan blowing at the Super I/O ITE IT8665E chip is very difficult. So I got one of those raspberry pi small heatsinks, measuring 14 mm by 14 mm with 7 mm height, which is about the size of the Super I/O ITE IT8665E chip. I applied the heatsink over the Super I/O ITE IT8665E chip using Thermal Grizzly minus pad 8. Unfortunately this did not work! Running AIDA64 system stability test failed after a few minutes due to the fans being stuck on low rotations. Then I remembered the hypothetical cause suggested above in this thread. Since the cause of the issues is related to the chip being frequently stressed, then if the chip controls the fans less often, maybe the issues can be minimized, I thought. This would need to be implemented in the firmware by the programmers. Until I found the following settings in the BIOS:

CPU Fan Smoothing Up/Down Time
Chassis Fan Smoothing Up/Down Time

These settings both were at 0 sec by default. So I increased to the next available option, which is 2.6 sec.
After increasing these settings I was able to run AIDA64 stress test for at least an hour, until I decided to stop it. I have been running HWiNFO64 in the background while working on this computer for many hours, without any issues with the fans.

Only once the Chassis fan got stuck on a high rpm setting. This was when I opened AIDA64, while HWiNFO64 was already running.

So I suggest those observing these issues, try these settings in the BIOS.

aaraujo
Level 7
I think I spoke too soon. The CPU FAN just got stuck on the maximum speed a moment ago! Maybe it is not the "CPU Fan Smoothing Up/Down Time" setting! I had lowered the SOC voltage to 1.1V. If I leave it as "Auto" it defaults to 1.15V. Maybe it is this! Before I had SOC voltage at 1.15V. I will try 1.15V SOC again and stress test. I do not no if this makes sense. Maybe a lower voltage could lead to memory errors in turn leading to a defective fan control. I do not know if this control algorithm is processed by the CPU and system memory though.