cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issue with ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

Phunction
Level 7
Hi, looking for some advice. I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula board with an AMD 5900X, 64GB GSkill Ram.
WIth normal running and gaming it runs fine, no issues.
However I reboot, and now it will not boot, I get the post screen and the spinning circle, but the circle will usually just freeze or go on forever.
It does not matter what I try booting off of, M.2, SSD, USB Stick, they all do the same thing.
I have changed video cards, swapped RAM, removed everything other than monitor and KB and just tried booting off USB drives, but same issue.
This happened once before a couple of months back, but I just reset it a couple of times and it came back fine and would restart fine.

It sounds like a bad board but wanted to check if anyone came across something like this. I could not find anything similar when I searched for the issue.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Murph_9000
Level 14
It could be a too aggressive overclock of CPU or memory. Try a CMOS reset followed by "load optimised defaults". Also, try a single stick of RAM; check the manual to be certain of the correct slot, but it's probably B2. If that works, try 2 sticks (should be A2, and B2; check the manual). Running 4 sticks of memory with OC is harder than 2, if you're on 4x16, so could be you need to slacken the timings or reduce the clock to get close to the OC rating with stability. Even if it was working fine in the past, silicon ages; so previous CPU & memory OC that was just within stability can become unstable over time. It's not the recommended config, but you could also try single stick in A2, if B2 fails; in case the failure is channel B.

If it's still a problem on optimised defaults and single stick, with known good boot media, something has failed (probably the board or CPU, if you've swapped out everything else and tried the simplest possible configs without OC).

Murph_9000 wrote:
It could be a too aggressive overclock of CPU or memory. Try a CMOS reset followed by "load optimised defaults". Also, try a single stick of RAM; check the manual to be certain of the correct slot, but it's probably B2. If that works, try 2 sticks (should be A2, and B2; check the manual). Running 4 sticks of memory with OC is harder than 2, if you're on 4x16, so could be you need to slacken the timings or reduce the clock to get close to the OC rating with stability. Even if it was working fine in the past, silicon ages; so previous CPU & memory OC that was just within stability can become unstable over time. It's not the recommended config, but you could also try single stick in A2, if B2 fails; in case the failure is channel B.

If it's still a problem on optimised defaults and single stick, with known good boot media, something has failed (probably the board or CPU, if you've swapped out everything else and tried the simplest possible configs without OC).

I did not overclock anything and did the bios reset. Strange that it would operate without issue, but then decide not to boot.

I think it may be the CPU, I swapped boards today with a new one, and same issue. The only thing left is the CPU?
I don't think it would be the power supply, the issue happens at exactly the same point when booting, sounds more like a certain system call of some kind during the boot process is killing the system.

Or you can try change power supply to test too.  I also have similar problem but after change power supply on this board. Problem not exactly same, but my old 1000w supply cause problem.

gupsterg
Level 13
Phunction wrote:
Hi, looking for some advice. I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula board with an AMD 5900X, 64GB GSkill Ram.
WIth normal running and gaming it runs fine, no issues.
However I reboot, and now it will not boot, I get the post screen and the spinning circle, but the circle will usually just freeze or go on forever.
It does not matter what I try booting off of, M.2, SSD, USB Stick, they all do the same thing.
I have changed video cards, swapped RAM, removed everything other than monitor and KB and just tried booting off USB drives, but same issue.
This happened once before a couple of months back, but I just reset it a couple of times and it came back fine and would restart fine.

It sounds like a bad board but wanted to check if anyone came across something like this. I could not find anything similar when I searched for the issue.

Thanks

If your 64GB is via 4 sticks you may need to set some settings manually to get system to behave. If it's 2 sticks you may still needs some manual settings depending on what MHz/timings your using.

In UEFI on Tool menu you'll find load/save profile to USB, press CTRL+F2 and you'll gain all settings as a TXT file, share the file and perhaps someone can comment to help you.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

J_Bish
Level 10
Any qcode errors?

J Bish wrote:
Any qcode errors?

No errors, it was the CPU as I replaced it and it started working.
I found that it would crash at the point where it would normally start the graphics setting, as in you see the wheel, then all the monitors come on and you get the desktop. I think somehow the GPU on the AMD chip may have been interfering? Who knows, at least it is on warranty.

BillBittel
Level 12
In your original post you said your CPU is an AMX Ryzen 5900X. The 5900X does not have an integrated GPU (iGPU) so whatever your problem was, it wasn't that.