cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability issues with ASUS Crosshair VII WiFi

michaelemcken
Level 7
Hi everyone,

So I am new to this forum, and also in the enthusiast consumer market.

So i just build my new PC, and it's running Windows 10 Pro, everything is installed and updated to lastest versions, Drivers, BIOS, and monitoring software (HWiNFO64) and it's booting without problems (YAY!) But i seem to have some problems getting everything to work together for what I actually need it for. Occasionally i have to reset BIOS, unplug power and do multiple restarts for the PC to be able to find my Ethernet and WiFi (both missing at the same time. But can this be due to memory clocked wrong? I can clock the memory to 3200 Mhz, and everything seems to be working fine, also during memtest, benchmarking and stress test of the entire system.

Also i seem to run into some throttling issues during gaming. My CPU and GPU is only at a around 5-25% Load, with temperatures being around 45-60C with Stock coolers, as i wanted to get the system up and running on stock, before tweaking (just so I have a baseline to work from)
CPU has maxed it's temperatures at around 62C during stress test with stock cooler, so i really doubt it's the temperatures keeping it back. I just can't seem to find out what the problem is, and why the PC works great during benchmarking, stress tests, but during games i get around avg. of 80 FPS in League of Legends (no matter the settings) 80-100 in CS:GO (same, no matter the quality of graphics) and i could go on, but i think you get the picture.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
MB: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi
GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3600MHz (not on the vendor list)
SSD: Samsung Evo 960 500GB M.2 *

I hope someone out there might be able to come up with an answer for me.
Thanks,
Michael
57 REPLIES 57

Hi there,

I see that this problem has been around for quite awhile. I just built myself a new PC last month and been having this issue. Asus just replied to RMA the board (I even pointed them to this thread). Vendor said they will need to test it out to replicate the problem first before giving me a refund. If it's really the power supply then that what chances are that the vendor would not be able to replicate the problem and hence be sending me back the board in the end. I'm lost with solutions on what I could do to fix this without having weeks of downtime...

Option 1:
RMA to Asus (Disassemble the whole system again and it'l take weeks as there's no ASUS service centre in QLD, Australia) ==> Asus sends me another board ==> I assemble it, same power supply same problem? ==> wasted effort and time?

Option 2:
Send to Vendor to get a refund as they RMA to Asus ==> Vendor can't replicate problem due to it being needing it to match with the power supply? ==> vendor then send me back the same board..

Any suggestions? How can a problem not be solved after almost 1 year or even acknowledge by ASUS?

My Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wifi)
Ryzen 2600
GSkills 16 GB (8x2) 3200 Mhz Cas 14 DDR4
ROG Vega 56 O8C Gaming
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2
Corsair AX860i

cg49me
Level 7
Well, I'm further convinced this is a BIOS issue. I was playing around with my fan curves today (running 0702) *before* booting into Windows. Saved changes and reset, and the network adapter was gone in Windows. It appears that the network adapter only functions on the first POST/BIOS boot, and isn't dependent on the first OS boot.

When I was first setting up the system (shipped with BIOS version 0207), I was not having any trouble with the network adapter. Someone over in this thread reported success rolling back to 0401. They'd also tried swapping power supplies, and it didn't fix their problem.

cg49me wrote:
Well, I'm further convinced this is a BIOS issue. I was playing around with my fan curves today (running 0702) *before* booting into Windows. Saved changes and reset, and the network adapter was gone in Windows. It appears that the network adapter only functions on the first POST/BIOS boot, and isn't dependent on the first OS boot.

When I was first setting up the system (shipped with BIOS version 0207), I was not having any trouble with the network adapter. Someone over in this thread reported success rolling back to 0401. They'd also tried swapping power supplies, and it didn't fix their problem.

Have your tried bios 0804? and a good clear cmos clear & power cycle a few times to a flashback update?

cg49me
Level 7
I only see 0702 as the latest available on the website...

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

cg49me wrote:
I only see 0702 as the latest available on the website...

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

that is the non wifi version .... https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

QuadJunky wrote:
that is the non wifi version .... https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Did anyone try the new BIOS? In my system, the NVMe SDD has disappeared from the "SATA CONFIGURATION" tab, still present in "BOOT" tab and perfectly functional... I didn't reset with the back button or reloaded default settings as I found them reloades after the flash.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

QuadJunky wrote:

I have the non-wifi board. 🙂

...*but*, they just posted 0804 for non-wifi, so I'll give it a shot this weekend.

*edit*

Had some free time tonight, so I flashed up... The problem seems to be resolved!!

I *do* still have fast boot disabled, so for anyone on 0804 still having this issue, give that a shot.

Rufinoman
Level 8
I'm glad I read this interesting thread as I've just ordered this motherboard along with a Corsair RM 850X and I'm hoping I don't get this problem. I was going to get the 850i version, but didn't consider the extra cost worth the money really.
I sincerely hope this problem has been fixed.