cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED][Hero VIII Wi-Fi] Still having trouble enabling Resizable BAR

crondor
Level 7
Edit: Solved, solution is found here on post 13, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126110-Hero-VIII-Wi-Fi-Still-having-trouble-enabling-Resiz...

Hey everyone, first post on here. I don't know what's going on but I still can't seem to be able to enable Resizable BAR on my PC. I've done everything I could but perhaps I'm missing something. Here's what I've got thus far:

Latest 3090 drivers 472.12
Latest VIII Hero Wi-Fi BIOS flashed to version 3801
CSM disabled in Boot in BIOS
"Windows UEFI Boot" selected in BIOS
4G Decoding set to Enabled in BIOS
Resizable BAR set to Auto in BIOS (no Enabled available, just Auto and Disabled)

In theory, all should work, but GPU-Z reckons that ReBAR is not enabled in BIOS (see screenshot) and Nvidia System Information also says that ReBAR is a No. What gives? What am I missing? Could it be because I have dual boot with Linux on the same drive as Windows?
13 REPLIES 13

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Earlier cards require an updated VBIOS in order to use REBAR. Have you downloaded and flashed the latest VBIOS from the vendor support page?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

it is a GPT Partition ?
you try to use the MBR2GPT.exe Tool

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Earlier cards require an updated VBIOS in order to use REBAR. Have you downloaded and flashed the latest VBIOS from the vendor support page?
Â*

That’s what i had to do with my EVGA RTX 3070 it was easy on my card it updated through EVGA precision x1

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

That's one of the first things I did when I heard of ReBAR back in March. In either case, I just updated to latest vBIOS (94.02.26.80.C8) and GPU-Z still shows it's the mobo...

bmkzero wrote:
it is a GPT Partition ?
you try to use the MBR2GPT.exe Tool

Yep, made sure to convert it.

Could it be because I have another GPU in there (GT710) which doesn't have ReBAR? Or could it be that my bootloader is GRUB? Any ideas?

crondor wrote:

Could it be because I have another GPU in there (GT710) which doesn't have ReBAR? Or could it be that my bootloader is GRUB? Any ideas?

This is likely the problem. Have you tried removing the other GPU and seeing if it enables BAR? I've had no issue at all flashing my 3090, or enabling resizable BAR on my C8H (Non-wifi).

Running Windows 11 (latest Beta build, 22000.282 with AMD L3 latency patch), RTX 3090 FE, and Crosshair VIII Hero (Non-Wifi)

sc32valve wrote:
This is likely the problem. Have you tried removing the other GPU and seeing if it enables BAR? I've had no issue at all flashing my 3090, or enabling resizable BAR on my C8H (Non-wifi).

Running Windows 11 (latest Beta build, 22000.282 with AMD L3 latency patch), RTX 3090 FE, and Crosshair VIII Hero (Non-Wifi)

Tried, no-go with only the 3090. It seems like the motherboard doesn't want to enable it for some reason...

crondor wrote:
Tried, no-go with only the 3090. It seems like the motherboard doesn't want to enable it for some reason...

If all the settings are really set as you have listed them, then the VBIOS of your card hasn't been updated properly. What brand and model 3090 card are you using? Try and go to their support page, get the latest VBIOS and flash it again. There aren't really any further settings in your PC which can have an effect it. I'd update the driver to 496.13, just to get the latest. But that won't have an effect as far as ReBAR goes.

Title
Low Noise BIOS (Default)
Version
94.02.26.80.C8
Release Date
2020-10-16
File Size
4.28 MB

2021/10/20-10:14:40

^It's what's flashed on the GPU currently from https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-3090-GAMING-X-TRIO-24G.html#down-bios

crondor wrote:
Title
Low Noise BIOS (Default)
Version
94.02.26.80.C8
Release Date
2020-10-16
File Size
4.28 MB

2021/10/20-10:14:40

^It's what's flashed on the GPU currently from https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-3090-GAMING-X-TRIO-24G.html#down-bios

That explains it.

The Re-BAR BIOS versions for the 3090 Gaming X Trio is 94.02.42.00.F1 and 94.02.42.00.F3, for the Low Noise and Low Temp versions respectively.

Neither of those have however been released on the MSI support page.

To get the Low Noise version, you can install the MSI Live Update utility found on the page, and update your VBIOS via that. That'll get you the Re-BAR support.

The Low Temp version I spent months getting out of their support department. I can provide you with a Dropbox link, if you'd like that version.