cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

second m.2 ssd

Ocelot
Level 7
Hi,

i need some advice please I would like to install a second m.2 ssd but Im not sure if it is possible and I dont quite understand the speed sharing between the pci lanes. In the first PCIe 3.0 x16 is my msi GTX 1080ti gpu second PCIe 3.0 x16 is empty and in the third PCIe 3.0 x1 is a rme raydat audio interface.

If I buy a adapter for my second m.2 ssd with this adapter DELOCK PCIe x4 > 1 x M.2 NGFF and install it in the second PCIe 3.0 x16 under the gpu does it throttle anything? gpu or cpu etc.?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

gorpo
Level 7
Why would you put a PCIe adapter for a single m.2 slot into the second PCIe 3 x16 slot? Just use the M2_2 slot at the top of the board and you can still use the second full PCIe slot at x8.

gorpo wrote:
Why would you put a PCIe adapter for a single m.2 slot into the second PCIe 3 x16 slot? Just use the M2_2 slot at the top of the board and you can still use the second full PCIe slot at x8.

This board(crosshair vi) doesnt have a second m2 slot. You are talking about the crosshair vii board!

Ocelot wrote:
This board(crosshair vi) doesnt have a second m2 slot. You are talking about the crosshair vii board!

Ah, you didn't mention the question was about C6H. Yes, my answer is for C7H.

Rares
Level 7

Install a second m2, must be near graphic card. For what i did understand, it will share speed with the graphic, in opposite with the slot more down..

I would sell and buy a better M2 SSD....and not interfere with graphic speeds...