cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen system keeps crashing when gaming

AverageNinja
Level 7
Hi,

I've had an issue with my PC completely crashing when playing certain (demanding) games. When it crashes, the screen goes go blank (see image below), and the audio will hang for a few seconds before going silent. Only a system reset would fix it. I don't get any q-codes when this happens.

(The screens going blank after a system crash).

My full system specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 (stock clocks), voltage set to 1.25v
Cooler Master ML240L RGB cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM @ 2133MHz (rated at 3200), voltage set to 1.385v
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
ASUS RX 580 Strix OC (obviously), clocked to 1200MHz core, 1950MHz memory.
Corsair RM750X PSU
Various Storage Drives
All housed in a Fractal Design Meshify C

Steps I have taken thus far (without success):
- Trying several BIOS updates (and downgrading back to 3502)
- Clearing CMOS
- Increasing CPU, SOC and DRAM voltages
- Leaving all clocks at stock, even downclocking my GPU
- Maxing out my GPU Power Limit in Afterburner (+50%) (seemingly made the crashes occur less often, but it could be a fluke)
- Disabling performance boost
- Moving my RAM sticks to different slots
- Running Memtest86 (passed successfully)

Thermals are definitely not the problem here. My CPU never goes above 50' Celcius when gaming. My GPU never goes above 65' Celcius. I'm running all of the latest drivers, and an older BIOS as mentioned above (newer BIOS updates didn't fix anything). I'm also running AMD's Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm not in a position where I can try different hardware, sadly.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

brkkab123
Level 7
Have you installed to most recent AMD Adrenalin 18.8.1 drivers for your video card ?
If not, here's the link for them. https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

There used to be a problem where memory works ok, but crashes when gaming. Change your vddp voltage to 0.9v. If this doesnt help try 0.885v or 0.915v, mine ran best at 0.885v.

Thanks for the replies!

brkkab123 wrote:
Have you installed to most recent AMD Adrenalin 18.8.1 drivers for your video card ?
If not, here's the link for them. https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

I'm currently running all the latest drivers 🙂

syldon wrote:
There used to be a problem where memory works ok, but crashes when gaming. Change your vddp voltage to 0.9v. If this doesnt help try 0.885v or 0.915v, mine ran best at 0.885v.

I've set the VDDP voltage to 0.885v for now. I won't be able to properly test stability today, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow

Emmily
Level 7
I've got almost the same system 1600X and strix RX580 also the same problem. It happened because trash Adrenalin driver. You can try the old one like 18.5.1 or 18.4.1 better than latest one. I solved that problem by swap the graphic card to Nvidia for now.

The Crosshair VII has a 8 pin and 4 pin power connector. I'm not sure about the VI but if it's power is the same way do you have the 8pin power connector plugged in on the motherboard? The four is optional but shouldn't be instead of the 8 pin power.

AverageNinja
Level 7
Sorry for the late replies;

I've been having these issues for a while now, so the new drivers definitely didn't cause this. I'm beginning to think that my GPU might be faulty.

I am also using the 8pin connector on my motherboard.

AverageNinja wrote:
Sorry for the late replies;

I've been having these issues for a while now, so the new drivers definitely didn't cause this. I'm beginning to think that my GPU might be faulty.

I am also using the 8pin connector on my motherboard.

Your PSU has multiple 12volt rails so make sure your CPU and GPU are on different rails to spread the load properly.