new bios 1202
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING BIOS 1202
1. Updated AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch B
2. Improve system performance and stability
3. Improved DRAM compatibility
322 REPLIES 322

Feverdog wrote:
Hi, My ram sticks are Patriot Viper 4 Steel Series DDR4 32GB(2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit PVS432G360C8K ... Just checked and they're definitely on the QVL (although interesting it says 3000 series CPU ok for 1,2 and 4 config, but for 5000 cpu it now states only 1 and 2 (obv I'm using 2) Other than that, after setting my power control to Typical the machine has been stable at the lower ram settings, however does make me worried for when I do get a 3080 if when on a pcie4 card will introduce more problems

Thanks for replying. My steps to reproduce were: Open Minecraft, music player, Discord, Task Manager, and Firefox. Play a song. Click the desktop. Wait 12 minutes. Screen goes black and music stops (not sleep mode, i had disabled that). Interestingly, music would come back after a minute or two, then cut out again. When I noticed this, I tried pressing WINDOWSKEY+CTRL+SHIFT+B ( TIP: This tells Windows 10 to reset the Graphics Driver)and sure enough, it brought my system back. So, clearly my situation was something GPU or PCIe related -- not CPU/RAM/PSU, else the whole system would still be freezing like when I had bad sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX before.

My fix was : Disabled PCIE Link State Power Management in Power Options, and increased TDRDelay in the Registry. Didn't even mess with Power Supply Idle Control or C-States this time. Hopefully I don't run into any new issues now that i'm on 1804, and that AMD/ASUS deals with the USB issues; I do want to get onto a 5800X eventually. Writing my experiences here just in case it helps someone.

Quentin79
Level 7
Today I updated to bios 1804. Loaded optimized default. I left Global C State to Auto and power supply idle control to auto. So far no more usb problems in windows and gaming. Ryzen 5800X, nVidia Geforce RTX 3070, 32 GB 3200 Mhz.

RX 6800
5800X

Latest BIOS and chipset driver.

The USB 2.0 issue seems to have been fixed.

SAM enabled, PCIe 4.0 enabled, DOCP 3600 MHz. These are the only settings I have altered from stock.

USB fixed, yes, but my system has become more unstable with PBO activated with the default settings and DDR4000 8GBx4 (manually adjusted 3600 16,16,16,36). It reboots me a lot.
If I disable PBO, everything is OK. Before with 1801 BIOS I had no problem with PBO activated and that memory configuration.

I also have problems in ('full') idle with stuttering mouse and keyboard so windows installation was very funny. I've read that a game launcher like Steam could generate enough load to avoid this problem (and I can confirm this: closing all background apps leads to stuttering). I'll later try to disable C-states and set 'Power Supply Idle Control' to 'Typical' and I will check if this problem still occurs.

Another bad thing: If I run my graphics card at PCIe gen 4.0 my sound channels often swap (my sound card is a SoundBlaster AE-7). Changing output to speakers and then back to headphones (or reverse) fixes it for a certain period of time. If I set PCIEX1_1 to Gen 3.0 there is no problem with the sound. It seems to be a common problem too.

Did anybody of you overclock the RAM to 4000 MHz? I've got also problems with that (but I started another thread in the overclocking section).

firewalker2k wrote:
I also have problems in ('full') idle with stuttering mouse and keyboard so windows installation was very funny. I've read that a game launcher like Steam could generate enough load to avoid this problem (and I can confirm this: closing all background apps leads to stuttering). I'll later try to disable C-states and set 'Power Supply Idle Control' to 'Typical' and I will check if this problem still occurs.

Another bad thing: If I run my graphics card at PCIe gen 4.0 my sound channels often swap (my sound card is a SoundBlaster AE-7). Changing output to speakers and then back to headphones (or reverse) fixes it for a certain period of time. If I set PCIEX1_1 to Gen 3.0 there is no problem with the sound. It seems to be a common problem too.

Did anybody of you overclock the RAM to 4000 MHz? I've got also problems with that (but I started another thread in the overclocking section).

Is this with the 1804 bios that just came out?

garfong_ wrote:
Is this with the 1804 bios that just came out?

Thanks for your question - I just checked it with this version, closed all the background apps (without changing the bios settings), and there was no stuttering. I'll observe this.

The other problems are still there (since version 1202).

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
Crucial DDR4 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3000 Mhz pc- 24000 Ballistix
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X AM4 BOX
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO

A couple of times the monitor flickered, the mouse turned off and the sound disappeared. In general, there are still problems, disabled c-state and enable gen3

Since updating to 1804 I am no longer experiencing USB 2.0 disconnects. However, both on 1801 and 1804, I was and am experiencing system hangs when plugging in devices (such as USB external drives) to any USB port (including the 3.2 ports). Is anyone else experiencing these system hangs with B550-E?

avseg wrote:
Since updating to 1804 I am no longer experiencing USB 2.0 disconnects. However, both on 1801 and 1804, I was and am experiencing system hangs when plugging in devices (such as USB external drives) to any USB port (including the 3.2 ports). Is anyone else experiencing these system hangs with B550-E?

No more usb disconnections for me since 1804. No, I don't experience system hangs connecting usb devices.