cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING bios update problems

marc_89
Level 7
Hey,somebody can help me..??after Bios Version 4602 "what is working perfectly" with all of the newer versions of bios i have problem...my pc doesn't boot, i get the orange light on motherboard or i get blue screen..
my config is Win 10 64 bit , AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 2x Kingston HX432C16PB3AK2/16 ,GIGABYTE RX 6900 XT Master
so with Version 4702 and Version 4801 i get orange light aka memory problem or blue screens with error code:0xc0000428 File:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe or error code:0xc0000221 File:\windows\system32\winload.efi..and with the last Version 4901 i get same orange light memory problem and sometimes "Warning! bios recovery mode has been detected,Please put the file...." now if i shot down my pc after orange light ,blue screen or bios recovery mode..and start it again it will boot/work normally until the next boot.. or if i downgrade bios back to Version 4602 all is working perfectly.. only problem is the fTPM issue,random stuttering while web browsing or gaming.. i write to support but in my country the asus support=0. Sorry for my english and thx in advance
3 REPLIES 3

JohnAb
Level 17
Hello marc,

Sounds like an odd problem, but from what you say, I suspect that you might have a software/hardware issue because you mention fTPM and stuttering issues, even with BIOS 4602. I am not sure what you mean by 'fTPM' but as general advice, I think I would proceed like this:

1) Go back to BIOS 4602 - at least it can be booted
2) Make sure that all BIOS options are set to defaults and check that XMP for RAM is disabled for now.
3) Turn off and remove power. Remove as much dust as you can and clean the machine. Then reseat your RAM and GPU and look carefully for any other issues like loose cables, poor connections etc. Make sure that all fans are running because stuttering might be an overheating issue. Take some time doing this, it can be hard to find a poor connection. It won't do any harm to unplug as much as you can before reconnecting.
4) Once back in Windows, try and identify the cause of stuttering if still there - it could be drivers or file corruption. Try some scans with an anti-virus program and do a Windows disk scan. Use a program like HWInfo to see if there are any indications that something is not working correctly and use a program to look at the S.M.A.R.T information for your drive. It might be failing.
5) Think about backing up your data, passwords etc. and do a fresh install of Windows and update all drivers. That's a good plan anyway, because it should eliminate software and driver issues.

I suspect that you have an underlying hardware (or software) problem which BIOS 4602 can just about cope with, but other BIOSs cannot. For this reason, I don't think that the BIOSs are actually the problem.

It's going to take some time to eliminate potential problems one at a time. Be methodical and make notes as you go, because if it takes a few days those notes might be very helpful. It could be a hardware fault on the motherboard, but I think that is less likely because your machine seems to work better under some circumstances. If it was a more serious problem, then I think you wouldn't be able to boot under any circumstances.

Good luck.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

One more idea, once you have re-seated the RAM, run some memory tests. Software like Memtest86 can be run from a USB stick or Memtest64 can be run directly from within Windows...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Hy, thank you for your response, i was out of city,i ran a windows memtest and find nothing,but next week i will have more free time and i will disassembly/clean the pc and i will do the memtest86 2.. all the time when a new bios appears,i try if it works and if not i downgrade it back to 4602..about the stuttering stuff i mean that sometimes i get like some micro lags.. that's why i looked out about fTPM stuttering thing..what they say with the last bios is fixed.. example this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYnRL-x6DVI -i get the same symptom and not only in games, even when i just browsing the web... maybe i have memory problem, i will see next week, and i say this because when i built this pc i haved only 16gb ram.. but in some games like forza in 1440p wasn't enough so i upgraded the ram with the same exact dual channel kit, difference between them that one is dram manufactured by Kingston and the other by Sk Hynix and of course serial and year difference... and this upgrade was made after i updated my bios to 4602. Thx again