cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII USB Disconnecting Issues

Monyo
Level 7
I badly need help please, I have installed multiple Bios to fix my USB connectivity issues and some crackling noise using DAC/AMP combo. Tried using USB log view to determine which device but not capturing anything, Did all the troubleshooting imaginable

My device is CROSSHAIR 8 HERO 5800X
22 REPLIES 22

Monyo wrote:
I did and still the same issue, and its crazy that we have to go down to Gen3 when we bought this stuff to use Gen4, also used the latest 3702 Bios

So you already tried without any benefit to downgrade pciex to 3.0: this demostrates that's not a pciex related problem in your case.
Can you try another graphic card?

Does your usb disconnects on all ports or is there a specif port or specific usb object that is affected from the problem?

So I finished my new build recently. Put a lot of money in it. I got the Dark Hero VIII, an 5900X and a 3080Ti and was surprised to see that I lose USB connection every now and then. Sometimes it is just the keyboard (independent of where I plug it in) but also the Corsair iCUE commander is not properly working. Nothing in the logs.

It's especially annoying when in the middle of an application you can't continue your tasks but it makes me also angry when I wake the machine from hibernating and have to disconnect and plug in the keyboard before I can enter my login credentials to start windows.

This is so frustrating. I am running the latest chipset drivers (as provided on the asus home page) and the latest BIOS (3801).

Is there anything else you can recommend to do? Did anyone solve that issue?

Thanks for everything that comes to your mind
Oliver

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Hello, I suggest to disable Global C-State (BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-state -> Disabled; F10 to save changes & reset); Thanks
Sincerely,
TY

thomas_yiu@ROG wrote:
Hello, I suggest to disable Global C-State (BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-state -> Disabled; F10 to save changes & reset); Thanks

Thanks for the hint, Thomas. I did that already as I found this tipp earlier in another thread, too. But unfortunately it did not change anything. I also disabled fast boot both in Windows and the BIOS-settings and it was also in vain. Yesterday I ordered an internal USB hub from NZXT and will try to connect it to the MoBo's 1213 USB header only (not the E56 which I currently use together with the 1213 one). And if that does not do the trick I will contact my dealer and ask for a replacement with a board from a different brand (maybe MSI or Gigabyte).

babelfish wrote:
Thanks for the hint, Thomas. I did that already as I found this tipp earlier in another thread, too. But unfortunately it did not change anything. I also disabled fast boot both in Windows and the BIOS-settings and it was also in vain. Yesterday I ordered an internal USB hub from NZXT and will try to connect it to the MoBo's 1213 USB header only (not the E56 which I currently use together with the 1213 one). And if that does not do the trick I will contact my dealer and ask for a replacement with a board from a different brand (maybe MSI or Gigabyte).

I've been having the same issues. Did this resolve your USB disconnects?

Nopointinnames wrote:
I've been having the same issues. Did this resolve your USB disconnects?

The NZXT USB hub did the trick for me. From time to time I still have some slight USB disconnects but not as severe as in the beginning. I would just hear the typical Windows sound of a device disconnecting and connecting again and that's it. Before when my webcam or my keyboard disconnected for example I had to restart the whole machine. These days are gone. Still I think it's quite irritating to experience all this problems after buying such an expensive piece of hardware like this board. Will definitely be the last Asus board that I bought for a while.

babelfish wrote:
The NZXT USB hub did the trick for me. From time to time I still have some slight USB disconnects but not as severe as in the beginning. I would just hear the typical Windows sound of a device disconnecting and connecting again and that's it. Before when my webcam or my keyboard disconnected for example I had to restart the whole machine. These days are gone. Still I think it's quite irritating to experience all this problems after buying such an expensive piece of hardware like this board. Will definitely be the last Asus board that I bought for a while.

Thanks for the update! That's good news, I've been driving myself crazy. Will be trying this out. I do sim racing, lately I've been crashing out of every race due to my USB devices disconnecting for 4-5 seconds so my car just hurdles itself into a wall. Super frustrating. Was on the verge of preordering alder lake. Overall pretty disappointed with this motherboard, as many great features as it has, if I can't use the computer what's the point.

Good speed!

BillBittel
Level 12
I have a Dark Hero with a 5950X. I have a lot of USB devices (pump, fan controller, RGB controllers, kybd/mouse) but I also have 2 internal USB2.0 hubs between all these devices and the mobo USB2.0 ports. I have never had a USB problem. I planned on using these hubs from the beginning (did not add them later) because I know that Corsair controllers have had USB problems for years. Corsair likes to blame it all on AMD but their USB issues long proceed Ryzen. Because of this I just got in the habit of putting in an internal USB2,0 hub (or 2). A decent hub in bteween seems to reduce or eliminate USB issues.

It has been widely reported that AMD systems have USB issues. Yes it sucks and should not be this way. It has also been widely reported that adding an internal USB.20 hub makes the USB problems stop. So if you have already purchased an expensive mobo and CPU, and are now plagued by USB problems, your best bet is to install an internal USB2,0 hub. Feel free to ***** about it, but just do it.

I'm just reading this thread. I have a Dark Hero paired with a 5900x. I installed a cheap USB 2.0 hub from Amazon to support both a 5.25" bay internal card reader combo and all front USB ports. I also have a USB 3.0 card to support all the USB 3.0 ports in the front. I can confirm I have no dramatic USB disconnect issues documented in this thread. Now I'm just thinking I was just lucky. I hybrid-sleep the computer mostly, and noticed the USB 2.0 hub's blue power light was illuminated even in the sleep mode. That may have something to do with it.