cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog crosshair viii dark hero + 5950x constant reboots

yanivfridman
Level 7
Hi, I just finished a new build for 3D + After Effects animation work and I've been having constant reboots while the computer is idle or doing light browsing.
I can her the CPU fans getting very loud for a few seconds and then quiet again, and no apps running at all. I've been trying to find a solution on forums and the only thing that made it stable at the moment was disabling the core performance boost option.
I tried updating to the latest bios (3003) but made no difference and I'm not familiar at all with tweaking the bios. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

This are my build specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Memory: HyperX Fury 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 HX436C18FB3K4/128
OS M.2 DRIVE: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2
Second M.2 Drive for cache: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

UPDATE: I received my 5950x RMA replacement yesterday, six weeks after I started the RMA process. I have been testing for the past 8 hours. So far everything seems stable at bios default settings and DOCP 3600. No random reboots at idle compared to the previous cpu.
The new processor is from the same batch as the previous one, 2043PGS

ffletchs
Level 10
I've "fixed" 3 5000 series systems with curve optimizer, all where having random reboots at idle and was very difficult to run at DOCP settings or some memory OC. Basically the issue is that 1 or more cores are unstable at the stock voltages/curves.

To identify the weak cores is easy, start by undervolting 1 at time or half of them and identify which cores are unstable (undervolting will exaggerate the issue, making it more easy to spot the weak cores). Then use curve optimiser to give these weak cores a curve positve value of +5-10.

Of cause you can RMA the processers since this is obviously bad QA/QC by AMD but that takes time

Wayâ__
Level 9
Quick reply for the guys struggling with constant random reboots ...

I've tested a 5950x on an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero in the following configurations:

All settings not mentioned at left at default values

DOCP Enabled
Mem @ 3600Mhz C14
Voltage Auto
SOC 1.1v

Fmax Enhancer Enabled
PBO Enabled

No issues or reboots experienced

Running the same CPU installed on a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero i was experiencing random reboots during idle / light load straight off the bat. I started looking at which settings could be causing this in the BIOS and found that disabling Fmax Enhancer immediately stopped the random reboots.

I haven't spent any time trying to figure out why this is happening, but i would suggest if you are experiencing the reboot issue, to disable this.

Having PBO enabled didn't affect the rebooting, it was only the Fmax enhancer.

Best of luck to you all out there, chances are there's nothing wrong with your CPU and it's something to do with power delivery and Fmax enhancer.

May the force be with you !

CP out