Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair VIII Bios 3601 AGESA 1.2.0.3 Patch

einsindrei
Level 10
46 REPLIES 46

polyh3dron
Level 9
On my Dark Hero I can't run my 3090 GPU and dual 2TB M.2 SSDs in PCIe Gen 4 mode without causing massive USB instability and DPC latency spikes. I thought something else was causing these issues and reformatted my system drive to try fixing. Turned out I just had to force my 3090 to Gen 3 mode in BIOS, even though the recent round of AGESA updates were supposed to address this exact problem.

It seems like PCIe Gen 4 just wasn't ready for prime time with X570, honestly.

I can also see why people go with Intel instead of AMD for their motherboard/CPU still as well. I've had so many crippling issues with my Ryzen 3000 and 5000 machines that have been so hard to troubleshoot with people blaming every single other thing in my setup that was not truly at fault. Just know that I am not blaming Asus for my issues at all because they really are not at fault here IMO.

Did AMD really just support PCIe Gen 4 in X570 without actually expecting people to try taking full advantage of it with GPUs and M.2 SSDs? Kind of strikes me as a situation similar to that of the new AV receivers that supposedly support HDMI 2.1 but when you hook up any HDMI 2.1 devices, none of their features specific to HDMI 2.1 actually work due to a subpar chipset.

polyh3dron wrote:
On my Dark Hero I can't run my 3090 GPU and dual 2TB M.2 SSDs in PCIe Gen 4 mode without causing massive USB instability and DPC latency spikes. I thought something else was causing these issues and reformatted my system drive to try fixing. Turned out I just had to force my 3090 to Gen 3 mode in BIOS, even though the recent round of AGESA updates were supposed to address this exact problem.

I can also see why people go with Intel instead of AMD for their motherboard/CPU still as well. I've had so many crippling issues with my Ryzen 3000 and 5000 machines that have been so hard to troubleshoot with people blaming every single other thing in my setup that was not truly at fault. Just know that I am not blaming Asus for my issues at all because they really are not at fault here IMO.

Did AMD really just support PCIe Gen 4 in X570 without actually expecting people to try taking full advantage of it with GPUs and M.2 SSDs? Kind of strikes me as a situation similar to that of the new AV receivers that supposedly support HDMI 2.1 but when you hook up any HDMI 2.1 devices, none of their features specific to HDMI 2.1 actually work due to a subpar chipset.

I hear you.
This is my first AMD platform again after a long time with Intel. My last AMD system was back in the Athlon XP days.
I had forgotten how AMD systems always needed fiddling with, while the Intel ones rarely had issues.
I've always used Asus boards, but this X570 platform has been especially bothersome.
Memory compatibility issues, audio issues, USB issues and cold boot issues.
Some of those have been resolved after BIOS updates or spending countless hours searching the web to find references to the many voltage settings.
This board has certainly been the most troublesome Asus board ever.

It's also the first board to pop and smoke. Asus is now using dirt-cheap bad quality caps, I had one ceramic capacitor shorted near the CPU fan connector.
Also, a P-channel mosfet shorted out near the memory slots.
Luckily I'm an old fart repairing electronics (own a rework station) so I repaired my own C8H board.
It scared the hell out of me though, this one was particularly expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, pretty bad job Asus.

Cheers.

polyh3dron wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a PCIe 4.0 graphics card, but I am running 2x PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSDs (Samsung 980 Pros to be more specific) and 2x 2080Tis in SLI with a super stable system. You might be running into some quirks. What I am interested in is if you're able to configure BAR settings in BIOS? I know that those only become available on the 3000 series cards.

polyh3dron wrote:

That's odd. I have a somewhat similar setup. In particular, I have a 5950X CPU; a CH8 Dark Hero motherboard (BIOS version 3601); ASUS TUF 3090 OC Edition (Resizable BAR enabled); 128 GB of RAM (running at 3200MHz, on D.O.C.P settings) and dual M.2 SSDs (both are Samsung 980 PRO 1TB drives). The system is otherwise not overclocked in any way, and everything's at stock settings.

I see no USB stability issues with this setup using PCIe 4.0, on the latest BIOS versions. I did experience some issues with USB reliability with pre-3401 (AGESA 1.2.0.1 Patch A) BIOS versions. BIOS version 3401 improved things greatly, albeit some USB-related issues would still pop up here and there. With version 3601, everything has been solid.

Well since installing 3601, I'm having cold boot issues if I enable DOCP 3600mhz (2x16GB GSkill Samsung B-Die).
Always have to boot my PC twice, second attempt works no problem. It only boots fine the first time at 2133mhz. Oddly enough, with the BETA BIOS I didn't have this problem 😕

Any ideas how to fix it? I dont have the second, smaller power pin connected as someone suggested, but someone else here wrote it didn't fix the problem for them anyway, besides with all the earlier BIOSes there was no issue.

draganm.zh wrote:
Well since installing 3601, I'm having cold boot issues if I enable DOCP 3600mhz (2x16GB GSkill Samsung B-Die).
Always have to boot my PC twice, second attempt works no problem. It only boots fine the first time at 2133mhz. Oddly enough, with the BETA BIOS I didn't have this problem 😕

Any ideas how to fix it? I dont have the second, smaller power pin connected as someone suggested, but someone else here wrote it didn't fix the problem for them anyway, besides with all the earlier BIOSes there was no issue.

Have a look at SOC voltage and try manual setting 1.05v should work nicely.
I've had a cold boot issue with current BIOS as well but not earlier BIOS. Setting the SOC voltage manually solved for me but I use a higher SOC voltage than recommended for you.

polyh3dron wrote:

BRO

You're a legend. The switching to Gen3 for my 3080 allowed me to finally use the 3601 bios. Wow. Before doing that it was literally unusable for me.